• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Google Chromebook

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking bout buying one. What say ye?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a sissy talking about it for twelve and a half minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no thanks

real laptop
or
tablet

no middle ground

I have a real laptop but it appears the wireless card is fucked. I had to put a new disk drive in it a month ago, then I spent a week messing with it after something stole all my memory. All I really do is get on the internet anyway. Tired of messing with it. Not to mention my wife just bought a new laptop thats twice what mine is, so we should be good there.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome OS lacks a lot. Get an iPad or Windows 8 tablet (though Windows 8 RT is not that great either, wait for Windows 8 Pro tablets). Yeah, they cost more but they offer a lot better software. Or buy a cheap notebook with Windows 8.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome OS lacks a lot. Get an iPad or Windows 8 tablet (though Windows 8 RT is not that great either, wait for Windows 8 Pro tablets). Yeah, they cost more but they offer a lot better software. Or buy a cheap notebook with Windows 8.

Not a big fan of tablets, I like a keyboard. I figured since all use my laptop for is the internet anyway and I use Google Chrome that spending $249 isn't that bad. The way things have been going, if I fix my wireless card something else will just mess up. All the finances en sech have already been moved to my wifes new laptop. I think I need to watch another Youtube video about it.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of tablets, I like a keyboard. I figured since all use my laptop for is the internet anyway and I use Google Chrome that spending $249 isn't that bad. The way things have been going, if I fix my wireless card something else will just mess up. All the finances en sech have already been moved to my wifes new laptop. I think I need to watch another Youtube video about it.

Just buy a USB wireless adapter. :D

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, if you have a Dell or HP, get on the wife's laptop and see if there is a hardware driver update for your wireless. I've seen a lot of them stop working only to be fixed by applying a driver update.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, if you have a Dell or HP, get on the wife's laptop and see if there is a hardware driver update for your wireless. I've seen a lot of them stop working only to be fixed by applying a driver update.

I have an HP, I'm actually on it now, just drug out the ethernet. I have automatic updates turned on, is this something I would need to download manually?

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's happened to me more than once :L

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an HP, I'm actually on it now, just drug out the ethernet. I have automatic updates turned on, is this something I would need to download manually?

You need to go to HP's website support and drivers page, enter your model & number and look at the hardware updates listed. You can compare the version and date for the latest to what is in the device manager.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to go to HP's website support and drivers page, enter you model & number and look at the hardware updates listed. You can compare the version and date for the latest to what is in the device manager.

Ah, gotcha. I will definitely try this before I make any hasty decisions, thanks for the info.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, gotcha. I will definitely try this before I make any hasty decisions, thanks for the info.

A good thing to do is create a restore point, download all the latest hardware drivers listed for your model. Install them one at a time. If the driver update doesn't cause problems, repeat the restore point creation and install the next driver. (Note: Some hardware updates will require other hardware updates be done first, read the install instructions carefully.)

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good thing to do is create a restore point, download all the latest hardware drivers listed for your model. Install them one at a time. If the driver update doesn't cause problems, repeat the restore point creation and install the next driver. (Note: Some hardware updates will require other hardware updates be done first, read the install instructions carefully.)

Turns out it was my motherboard overheating (apparently a common problem with this model). The audio has since started going out aswell so my wife got me a Chromebook to fool around with. I must say I like it pretty damn good. From the time I open this bitch I'm on the Hoop posting in less than 20 sec. It's limited in what you can do compared to a typical laptop but it's perfect if you just want to get online without all the bs that comes along with said typical laptop.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turns out it was my motherboard overheating (apparently a common problem with this model). The audio has since started going out aswell so my wife got me a Chromebook to fool around with. I must say I like it pretty damn good. From the time I open this bitch I'm on the Hoop posting in less than 20 sec. It's limited in what you can do compared to a typical laptop but it's perfect if you just want to get online without all the bs that comes along with said typical laptop.

one review I read said that since it doesn't have an actual OS, but is a web browser, that you can't install programs...true? So like if I wanted to install something that doesn't run in a web browser, like a real version of Office, I couldn't?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one review I read said that since it doesn't have an actual OS, but is a web browser, that you can't install programs...true? So like if I wanted to install something that doesn't run in a web browser, like a real version of Office, I couldn't?

Yeah, pretty much everything you do revolves around Google apps, it's definitely a second computer. Although, from what I've read, if you go with the Acer C7 like I did it's pretty easy to dual boot Ubuntu and have more of a normal laptop for alot less $. The Acer comes with a 320 gb hard drive and is very easily upgraded if you needed to. It's got 2 gb of RAM but is up-gradable to 16 gb if I remember correctly.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chrome OS is basically completely web driven. All apps will reside in the cloud, including Office.

Google is basically betting that the future of computing is to make everything available online. Their own office software is not locally installed, and MS is making office available online as well to compete.