• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going to Pittsburgh for a game

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My family and I will be heading to a game at the end of April, getting into town on Saturday and going the game on Sunday.

Are there any good places to eat? Anything to do with the rest of my Saturday? What about after the game on Sunday?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must eat at Primanti Brothers if this is your first visit...

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you staying, crow?

This. Very important in being able to create a plausible schedule of events for him. If I had to guess I'm going to bet he's staying on the north shore.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure where I am staying yet, I have been there once and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 10th Street. It was an ok place to stay, but not such a good experience. My son got his arm caught in the sliding front door in a chicken wing. I had to rip the door off the track to free my son's arm. The hotel did nothing not even a true apology. Just a "Hope he is ok" comment. Needless to say we are looking for a different place.

We did eat at a Primanti Brothers last time we were there, just not the one downtown. We will probably do that again, just not for 4 meals. I work the Friday before but we will probably head out after I get home, so would be getting to Pittsburgh early Saturday. That would give us Saturday to sightsee and go to the game Sunday, then leave Monday for our next destination.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
kennywood park on saturday.
the carnegie mellon museum of history is actually really good.
the science museum by the stadium is actually pretty cool also, and very interactive. forget the name.

if you are artsy, the andy warhol museum is not far from the stadiums, but not really my style.

pamelas in millvale is where you should eat at least one breakfast or lunch. where michelle obama ate and is a neighborhood institution. just several miles up the river from the stadiums.

we always stay a bit farther out as i periodically work do some work with a tv station in monroeville.
this hotel is really nice
Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township 3455 William Penn Highway,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15235 USA Phone: 1-412-816-1300 Fax: 1-412-816-1305
good hot breakfast included, clean courteous, and they have suites for better comfortable space. only about 15 minutes to Pitt and downtown.

enjoy your trip.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe station square to do the shopping/eating and you could ride the incline to Mt Washington. Easy to get to, and easy to park.

I suppose the Strip District would be good too, basically an open air market with a lot of unique shops and restaurants. Might not be the best place for young kids, but its a very Pittsburgh place.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carnegie Science Center, yeah good call on that.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... Getting there early Saturday. Sounds like your son is young. If it were me...
I would stay at the Sheraton in Station Square. It's a bit pricey in comparison to some places on that side of the river but it sounds like this is a somewhat special trip. This is where you have some options. If you want to sightsee right away, park your car at the hotel and take the incline up to Mt. Washington (its right there) theres a few places that you can eat lunch up there or you can head back down the incline and eat somewhere in station square. At this point I would either go to Kennywood as was mentioned or head to Oakland to check out the Museum. When going to the Saturday night game, I highly recommend parking in the city and walking across the Clemente bridge to the game. I prefer that to parking on the North Shore.

Sunday morning... DEFINITELY a good breakfast. Pamelas in Millvale is good or you could go to the one in Shadyside. Another great option is the Dorstop in Dormont (been featured on diners, drive ins & dives)

Basically, no matter what you do, you'll have a blast.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely agree about parking in the city much easier to get out after the game.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely agree about parking in the city much easier to get out after the game.

I think a lot of people would never believe it before they try it. I love the pregame vibe there too.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of people would never believe it before they try it. I love the pregame vibe there too.

Agreed, can't really put my finger on it either, but I used to work downtown and there was always something different on gamedays during lunch hour.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parking in the city I agree.
Usually what we do is go up river ave and if you get lucky there is either super cheap lot or a spot right along one of those side roads. The walk along the river is always fun the kids like it and then you just come up to the Clemente bridge with all activities going on.

Also you can park on the street over near the aviary if on a weekend or after 6pm at a meter. Never had an issue over there. And if you are brining the family (depending on kids ages) we have done the aviary then a game. Also went to the science center then back over to a game.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I'll even park in the garage behind the William Penn and stroll across all of downtown.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually park in one of the cultural district lots, easiest access, and not a far walk.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... Getting there early Saturday. Sounds like your son is young. If it were me...
I would stay at the Sheraton in Station Square. It's a bit pricey in comparison to some places on that side of the river but it sounds like this is a somewhat special trip. This is where you have some options. If you want to sightsee right away, park your car at the hotel and take the incline up to Mt. Washington (its right there) theres a few places that you can eat lunch up there or you can head back down the incline and eat somewhere in station square. At this point I would either go to Kennywood as was mentioned or head to Oakland to check out the Museum. When going to the Saturday night game, I highly recommend parking in the city and walking across the Clemente bridge to the game. I prefer that to parking on the North Shore.

Sunday morning... DEFINITELY a good breakfast. Pamelas in Millvale is good or you could go to the one in Shadyside. Another great option is the Dorstop in Dormont (been featured on diners, drive ins & dives)

Basically, no matter what you do, you'll have a blast.

:agree: Took the words right out of my mouth

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the walking you want to do we had folks come in to town and stay right at the spring hill suits right across the street. Newer hotel so it is clean and if not for an important game usually you can get a room on the weekends.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Saturday mornings over in the strip district seems to be the thing to do these days. It will be busy but always a fun walk around with the kids.