• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GoDaddy dropping Danica Patrick's NASCAR sponsorship

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We love Danica and all she does to empower and inspire people, especially women, which is why we are working to keep her in the GoDaddy family," GoDaddy chief marketing officer Phil Bienert said. "We have the utmost respect for Stewart-Haas Racing, and they've been phenomenal partners. In fact, NASCAR has been a tremendous domestic platform to help us achieve an 81 percent aided brand awareness domestically, but at this stage, we need a range of marketing assets that reach a more globally-diverse set of customers."

This is not just a sponsor leaving a driver, its says more about NASCAR than the driver. Go Daddy was a big sponsor of NASCAR and just like a few more, they too will be placing their money in other marketing plans. NASCAR does not fill the seats like before and their coverage seems to be worse. Does the Waltrip sisters really represent the sport on TV? Bad coverage, low ratings, a bizarre points system and race tracks that cant fill seems like a formula for major changes.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sponsorships are always changing.

And I would say that they might not fill all the seats anymore, but it's because they built so many more. When I first started going to races, most tracks just had a grandstand down the front stretch and the backstretch had bleacher seats like you see at a pee wee football game. And there were no seats stretching down into the corners. There were no condos either.

I like the Waltrip brothers. They're a little cheesy at times, but for the most part, I think they do a good job.

Now, as for the points system, I prefer the old school method. No playoff, no chase, no bullshit gimmicks. Award the points according to finishing position, leading a lap, leading the most laps, and call it good.

I don't think NASCAR's in trouble. I think you're just seeing the "Johnny come lately's" fall away. They were on board while it was hip, but weren't truly race fans.

I think GoDaddy just went public with their stock and are changing direction with their marketing. I think it's more of a reflection on the direction they're going rather than a smear against Danica or NASCAR.

:2cents:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess this means Danica is a lock to win Dega this weekend. NASCAR has a history of drivers that just happen to win the week before/after a sponsorship announces its leaving or is thinking of leaving.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess this means Danica is a lock to win Dega this weekend. NASCAR has a history of drivers that just happen to win the week before/after a sponsorship announces its leaving or is thinking of leaving.

:laugh3:

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GoDaddy really doesn't need to advertise nowadays. When you think of starting a website, GoDaddy is the first thing that pops in your head.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I would say that they might not fill all the seats anymore, but it's because they built so many more. When I first started going to races, most tracks just had a grandstand down the front stretch and the backstretch had bleacher seats like you see at a pee wee football game. And there were no seats stretching down into the corners. There were no condos either.

I like the Waltrip brothers. They're a little cheesy at times, but for the most part, I think they do a good job.

Now, as for the points system, I prefer the old school method. No playoff, no chase, no bullshit gimmicks. Award the points according to finishing position, leading a lap, leading the most laps, and call it good.

I don't think NASCAR's in trouble. I think you're just seeing the "Johnny come lately's" fall away. They were on board while it was hip, but weren't truly race fans.

I think GoDaddy just went public with their stock and are changing direction with their marketing. I think it's more of a reflection on the direction they're going rather than a smear against Danica or NASCAR.

I'm not sure nascar was ever "hip"....not since days of thunder anyways.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, just like Stroker Ace won the championship right after Ned Beatty fired him

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and Lindsay Lohan won with Herbie right when Chico's Bail Bonds was going to drop Michael Keaton

You know, I almost posted that instead of the Stroker Ace thing

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Let Freedom Ring" >>>> "Unobtainium"

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much this. Except for the bolded part.

I've been a fan of Nascar since I was a kid and watched races whenever I got a chance. And near the end of the 90's and early 2k's when they started broadcasting every race, I pretty much watched every single race. And by that, I mean I treated it somewhat like Alabama football in that I usually made a decent attempt to make sure I watched the race.

But what you said about the points system and all the other things nascar has done for the "show" has turned me off a great deal.

And it was better when they raced back to the line, and didn't have the lucky dog rule. I'm fine with safety aspects, but I honestly don't buy that racing back to the line is all that dangerous. I live with the rule change and don't bitch much because of the safety aspect, but I'd by lying if I said the racing wasn't better when they raced back to the line, and it does have some effect on my desire to watch. Especially because it puts things in the hands of nascar too much on when they throw the caution.

I liked the variety in cars where Fords would be pissed about their noses, and Dodge wanted a better rear end type stuff. I could be fine with going to the generic CoT - but all they did was make them easier to drive. Instead, they need to be taking the racing packages not towards the future, but towards the past. Why they hell aren't they getting rid of aero grip and adding mechanical grip?

Best racing at the plate tracks in modern times was with the package Dale Sr worked on. Making the cars less aerodynamic and they suck up in the draft more. Where did that go and why?

All they race now are hard tires that last forever while relying on aerogrip. They could go to soft tires and then taking care of your car/tires becomes important again. But instead it's all about being easiest to drive so the pretty faces can be successful.

I still watch, but all these things has taken a big stab at my interest. I no longer make sure I watch a race and I only watch them if I happen to catch them. I don't get excited about it the way I use to, and IMO it's because Nascar has done nothing but try to please those "Johnny come lately's" at the expense of people that are truly race fans.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much this. Except for the bolded part.

I've been a fan of Nascar since I was a kid and watched races whenever I got a chance. And near the end of the 90's and early 2k's when they started broadcasting every race, I pretty much watched every single race. And by that, I mean I treated it somewhat like Alabama football in that I usually made a decent attempt to make sure I watched the race.

But what you said about the points system and all the other things nascar has done for the "show" has turned me off a great deal.

And it was better when they raced back to the line, and didn't have the lucky dog rule. I'm fine with safety aspects, but I honestly don't buy that racing back to the line is all that dangerous. I live with the rule change and don't bitch much because of the safety aspect, but I'd by lying if I said the racing wasn't better when they raced back to the line, and it does have some effect on my desire to watch. Especially because it puts things in the hands of nascar too much on when they throw the caution.

I liked the variety in cars where Fords would be pissed about their noses, and Dodge wanted a better rear end type stuff. I could be fine with going to the generic CoT - but all they did was make them easier to drive. Instead, they need to be taking the racing packages not towards the future, but towards the past. Why they hell aren't they getting rid of aero grip and adding mechanical grip?

Best racing at the plate tracks in modern times was with the package Dale Sr worked on. Making the cars less aerodynamic and they suck up in the draft more. Where did that go and why?

All they race now are hard tires that last forever while relying on aerogrip. They could go to soft tires and then taking care of your car/tires becomes important again. But instead it's all about being easiest to drive so the pretty faces can be successful.

I still watch, but all these things has taken a big stab at my interest. I no longer make sure I watch a race and I only watch them if I happen to catch them. I don't get excited about it the way I use to, and IMO it's because Nascar has done nothing but try to please those "Johnny come lately's" at the expense of people that are truly race fans.

some great points, well said.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, myabe not to you handful of west coasters, but in the southeast and midwest, stock car racing is the shit.

Not so much in Atlanta or Martinsville, at least when I see races there, there's always tons of empty seats. I have a bad feeling that if NASCAR takes away a race from somewhere and adds it somewhere else, that it'll be from Martinsville, which is saddening because I really love watching the races there.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danica got more exposure in her skimpy outfits doing godaddy commercials than she ever will in any car!!!

Maybe she should race topless with a godaddy helmet, that will get her more exposure!!!