• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Goat fish vs captain ahab

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jones vs Halak? Goldobin recalled after getting benched the night before for the barracuda for the entire 3rd period so yeah what message is Dwill sending lol

Micro called up too I suppose the Dillion Tennyson experiment is nearing its end

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol starting out with a bang. Marleau allegedly willing to be traded to the Rangers, Kings or Ducks. If it's to the Rags it better be for Yandle and if they can pry Krieder out of there I'd be estatic

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well patty's another -2 in 3 1/2 minutes, so his trade value aint rising, as he's back to tied for worst on the team again. Cant see him being dealt to the kings or anaheim, and I dont see the sharks getting good value from Rangers since they are 11-2-2 right now and playing great. they would be dumb to throw away great value for patty. I could only imagine the sharks getting picks and prospects in such a deal.

I personally would love to pry one of the ducks' young D like vatanen or lindholm, but i would say thats highly unlikely. Cam fowler is possible, but also unlikely. Stealing one of those three would be pretty shocking for marleau, but I would do it in a second.

Personally, I can only see the flames as having what the sharks would want: i.e. a potential top pairing Dman under 25, and needing an aging vet like patty in a 'win now' mode. Tampa and boston are also struggling teams expecting to compete this year, but they dont seem to have much a target. Maybe krug on boston, but no chance tampa parts with hedman.

either way, its getting pretty obvious game by game that the team is broken.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's -2 because jones stopped 1 of 3 shots only so much you can put on the guys who are in front of jones, and it's against the Tavares line once again not being sheltered like the joes line

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the grabovsky goal was a bad one, but leaving tavares all alone in front was terrible coverage. not saying its patty's fault on either goal, just saying that his stock doesnt rise with a team worst -4, and with just 9 pts in 14+ games and just one goal in the last 10+ games. Not exactly greatness for over 6.5M per year. I cannot see teams paying through the nose for that kind of player unless they can get rid of a bad contract themselves (ala cgy).

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Tavaras was some bum of a player as opposed to a top 5 player in the league I'd probably be on you guys like him don't open by accident they find holes. Either way your destain for Patty versus what the majority of the leagues GMs and scouts think of him are vastly different and his value is still pretty good trading commodity

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Tavaras was some bum of a player as opposed to a top 5 player in the league I'd probably be on you guys like him don't open by accident they find holes. Either way your destain for Patty versus what the majority of the leagues GMs and scouts think of him are vastly different and his value is still pretty good trading commodity

I hope you are right. if dougie can find a desperate GM and get a king's ransom (no pun intended), then, that would really help. at this point, keeping patty and jumbo just doesnt make sense. The sahrks arent a contender, so letting them ride out the contracts and receiving nothing back while missing the PO's makes no sense. The big two can fetch a good amount and would open up big money for dougie (or whoever) to shop for sub 30 UFA's and rebuild the franchise. just losing their value for nothing will set the team back that much more. rally, both should be moved if possible.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It could turn into a fun trade filled season hopefully it's Thornton and Marleau and maybe Pavelski, frees up a ton of cap space. Land good players/prospects and picks

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope you are right. if dougie can find a desperate GM and get a king's ransom (no pun intended), then, that would really help. at this point, keeping patty and jumbo just doesnt make sense. The sahrks arent a contender, so letting them ride out the contracts and receiving nothing back while missing the PO's makes no sense. The big two can fetch a good amount and would open up big money for dougie (or whoever) to shop for sub 30 UFA's and rebuild the franchise. just losing their value for nothing will set the team back that much more. rally, both should be moved if possible.

I should add that I would have been reticent to trade them for fear of fan backlash as well. But, with 2000+ unsold tickets regularly and many more than that of empty seats (like 3000-4000 empty seats regularly), the fans are already gone, and will continue to go. No one is willing to pay to watch those two, so trading them wont matter much to the fan base in my opinion. The fans want a winner and an exciting product, so getting that as soon as possible is priority #1.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It could turn into a fun trade filled season hopefully it's Thornton and Marleau and maybe Pavelski, frees up a ton of cap space. Land good players/prospects and picks

if they move pavs, they can get a massive giant return. Every GM is the leauge would salivate to add a 40 goal scorer who plays as a 'swiss army knife'. Trading him makes alot of sense, and they could definitely get back a #1 Dman who is young and studly.

If dougie trades all three of 'em, he should be able to get back two top 4 Dmen under 25, likely a top 9 forward or two and a bevy of picks/prospects, while clearing 20M is cap space. They could make a run at Stamkos and Byfuglien in the offseason and and then have those two guys along with the return from the big three to move forward.

This season could easily determine the direction of the next 5-10 years of sharks hockey.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's a shame Joel Wards career year is being wasted

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wasting burns season too, nice to see Hertl pick up 2 helpers

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stalocks goal from the neutral zone should pretty much cement him a one way ticket to the AHL

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The season started so well and now its fucking pathetic! The Sharks have no confidence in each other and the trade rumors involving Marleau are not helping. I would hate to see Marleau traded, but I guess I have to realize that its a business and the team needs to do what is best. The rumors from the past about Marleau were different compared to these recent rumors, but obvious something is being talked about.

I personally don't have any faith in the Sharks management right now, and with how horrible Doug's track record is about making trades I don't see anything positive happening. All of Doug's trades have been busts except for two "Thornton and Boyle" and how many busts did Doug sign in FA market? Too many to count, but Ward is looking good in teal.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Defense sucks, and nothing will change that.
Braun, Dillon, Tennyson, Mueller and anybody else from the Cuda needs to be a 6th or 7th dman. That's all each one of them will ever be "A DEPTH Dman"

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The season started so well and now its fucking pathetic! The Sharks have no confidence in each other and the trade rumors involving Marleau are not helping. I would hate to see Marleau traded, but I guess I have to realize that its a business and the team needs to do what is best. The rumors from the past about Marleau were different compared to these recent rumors, but obvious something is being talked about.

I personally don't have any faith in the Sharks management right now, and with how horrible Doug's track record is about making trades I don't see anything positive happening. All of Doug's trades have been busts except for two "Thornton and Boyle" and how many busts did Doug sign in FA market? Too many to count, but Ward is looking good in teal.

I think Martin, Ward, and Jones were all good moves it's the bottom 4 forwards and the lack of another offensive threat from the blue line is the real problem

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Martin, Ward, and Jones were all good moves it's the bottom 4 forwards and the lack of another offensive threat from the blue line is the real problem

paul martin and ward were good moves. They plugged perceived holes and have played very well. martin Jones was a good, albeit risky, move when it was made as they gave up a potential lottery pick for a career back up and then gave him 3M for 3 years. it was fair to expect the youngsters would advance and improve naturally, so it was fair to assume the team would be right in the PO hunt and maybe better. I was completely along that line of thinking and 4 games into the season it all looked true.

However, 11 games later, it obviously doesnt, and the move that may really hurt is Jones. if dougie throws in the towel and trades jumbo and patty for picks/prospects/potentials, then that lost 1st rounder will loom very large as it will likely be another top 10 pick (think kessel trade for the leafs). However, keeping the big two and still sucking is even worse. I suppose we will see what the team is made of in a couple weeks when cooch returns, but if they still stuck, then its ugly both ways.

I wonder how much of this is deboer's fault? I mean, he hasnt found chemistry on the lines, and literally every young player is taking a leap backward under him.

I do not envy dougie's position right now, and he may get the ax no matter what he does. He has made a series of poor decisions over the last 3-5 years that have really pidgeon-holed him from bad UFA depth signings like burish and brown to bad contracts like Dillon, to bad deals like trading away high picks for rentals, to a possibly bad coaching choice, to rushing young guys, to bad draft as so far hertl, mueller, and goldobin have yet to emerge as legit impact players and no player drafted since couture in 2007 has emerged as a legit top 6 forward or top 4 Dman (that includes 39 draft choices from 2008-2013 without a single high impact guy or 53 draft choices from 2006-2013, which yielded cooch as the only player to score as many as 20 goals in a season for the sharks or play top 4 D minutes consistently). Dougie was the best GM in the league from 2003-2007 trading for jumbo, then boyle, then cooch in the toskala deal, and signing blake and a few others wisely. But he's been amongst the worst since.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
paul martin and ward were good moves. They plugged perceived holes and have played very well. martin Jones was a good, albeit risky, move when it was made as they gave up a potential lottery pick for a career back up and then gave him 3M for 3 years. it was fair to expect the youngsters would advance and improve naturally, so it was fair to assume the team would be right in the PO hunt and maybe better. I was completely along that line of thinking and 4 games into the season it all looked true.

However, 11 games later, it obviously doesnt, and the move that may really hurt is Jones. if dougie throws in the towel and trades jumbo and patty for picks/prospects/potentials, then that lost 1st rounder will loom very large as it will likely be another top 10 pick (think kessel trade for the leafs). However, keeping the big two and still sucking is even worse. I suppose we will see what the team is made of in a couple weeks when cooch returns, but if they still stuck, then its ugly both ways.

I wonder how much of this is deboer's fault? I mean, he hasnt found chemistry on the lines, and literally every young player is taking a leap backward under him.

I do not envy dougie's position right now, and he may get the ax no matter what he does. He has made a series of poor decisions over the last 3-5 years that have really pidgeon-holed him from bad UFA depth signings like burish and brown to bad contracts like Dillon, to bad deals like trading away high picks for rentals, to a possibly bad coaching choice, to rushing young guys, to bad draft as so far hertl, mueller, and goldobin have yet to emerge as legit impact players and no player drafted since couture in 2007 has emerged as a legit top 6 forward or top 4 Dman (that includes 39 draft choices from 2008-2013 without a single high impact guy or 53 draft choices from 2006-2013, which yielded cooch as the only player to score as many as 20 goals in a season for the sharks or play top 4 D minutes consistently). Dougie was the best GM in the league from 2003-2007 trading for jumbo, then boyle, then cooch in the toskala deal, and signing blake and a few others wisely. But he's been amongst the worst since.
your kind of talking out both sides of your mouth in regards to Jones, either the defense sucks which we agree the bottom two are disastourus, a goalie can only cover that up for so long. With exception to last night I've only seen Jones give up one other bad goal and that was against the caps when he got caught in the down position not hugging the post and had one banked in off his back. It's not Jones he's the future in net he needs help like any other good goalie lundquist, Rinne, and quick have outstanding defenses in front of them. I'd say Crawford but he sucks and has a great team in front of him, there's other factors besides numbers

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30th in pp and 25th in defense. Some of that is coaching. Yet to see a pp goal at home. Why did Dougie extend Dillon? He is crap. Since he made the trade, he had to validate it this way I guess. Remember that first game against the Kings? It was like wow, 60 minutes of great effort and hockey...and now woeful. Back to their lazy ways and underachievement. And damn, this team is full of young underachievers. A bunch of softies: Nieto, Hertl, Tierney, Wingels, ... do something.