• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GMZ extended.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No details yet, but GMZ got a multi-year contract extension from the M's.

Thoughts?

I was a huge fan of Jack Z when he first became GM and then lost a faith in him when the rebuilding process seem to never end. I haven't really regain that faith yet, but one thing I'll give him for sure is his consistency of pitching and defense. It look like his vision came to fruition this year, but we'll have to continue to see.

In the mean time, I'll continue to be on the fence with him.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few months ago I took a tour of Safeco, and the tour guide said that GMZ really had to fix the messes created by Pat Gillick and his trade away the future to win now mentality, and the boneheaded trades made by the dumb ass known as Bavasi.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1h Asked about his relationship with Jack Z, McClendon got a sly grin and said: "We're probably as dysfunctional as dysfunctional can get."
Well, at least we know Lloyd isn't another "yes" man!

Last edited by a moderator:

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really excited about the M's future. Young foundation with vets that can mentor the rookies. Alex Jackson and DJ Petersen are really racking up the stats in the minors. Our pitching/defense is historically good, and most of them will be back next year.

It was a no-brainer to extend Jack Z.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted I don't think he deserves to have a job, but isn't it a little premature for an extension? If they end up not making the playoffs then what exactly in his resume says extension at this point?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what he did to get an extension. He signed one player for $240M which improved us, but did little else. I am pretty sure there isn't going to be another $240M signing so he needs to learn real quick on how to add complimentary players. Chris Young was dropped in his lap when he became available and Wolf ran.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what he did to get an extension. He signed one player for $240M which improved us, but did little else. I am pretty sure there isn't going to be another $240M signing so he needs to learn real quick on how to add complimentary players. Chris Young was dropped in his lap when he became available and Wolf ran.

My thing is it seems way to premature. In the scenario they miss the playoffs, how can anyone justify an extension? One year with a playoff push and only two winning seasons? The uncertain future that keeps getting shoved down our throat every year with these can't miss prospects?

I can easily see an extension for Lloyd but not sure at all how Jack has earned because now there is 25,000 at a game instead of 15,000.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Z is a shit bag! I absolutely think he is the wrong man for the job. On the flip side of that I think the entire front office is a piece of shit. The team shouldn't have extended Jack Z. The best thing for this team is new owners and it will be that way for a long time.

Lloyd is awesome he has really won me over. He has been a very important piece to the mariners success this season, not Jack Z.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder how good he will look five years from now when $50 million of the payroll is tied up in two players who are way past their prime?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are asking what Jack has done this season to make this team, well let's look at it.

Who he brought in:
Mike Zunino
Justin Smoak
Robinson Cano
Brad Miller
Kyle Seager
Dustin Ackley
James Jones
Corey Hart
Logan Morrison
Endy Chavez
Stefan Romero
Willie Bloomquist
Kendrys Morales
Abraham Almonte
Austin Jackson
John Buck
Chris Taylor
Cole Gillespie
Nick Franklin
Chris Denorfia
Jesus Sucre
Jesus Montero
Chris Young
Hisashi Iwakuma
Roenis Elias
Erasmo Ramirez
Fernando Rodney
Tom Wilhelmsen
Danny Farquhar
Yoervis Medina
Charlie Furbush
Brandon maurer
Dominic Leone
Joe Biemel
James Paxton
Taijuan Walker
Blake Beavan
Lucas Luetge
Stephen Pryor
Hector Noesi

So, by my count, that's all but Felix and Saunders (though I'm going off memory, and could have listed someone I shouldn't). That doesn't even include bringing in McClendon, and most think he's been a great manager this year. It was pretty obvious that he'd get his extension if the team played .500 ball this year, and since they have to go 8-22 the rest of the way to not achieve that, it's pretty safe to say that this was gonna happen.

Now, there've been some bad moves and some good ones, but the fanbase has been energized and the team is playing meaningful games. Attendance is looking to get over 2 million. If they make the playoffs, Jack's 5 year plan he kept talking about when he got here would have taken 6.

I'm not sure I'd give it to him now, or even if I'd give him a multi-year extension (as I'd like to see them put 2 years together, which they haven't done in a decade), but I'm not surprised by the move.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the team currently 12 games above .500 it doesn't surprise me and I can't see how he doesn't deserve the extension.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the team currently 12 games above .500 it doesn't surprise me and I can't see how he doesn't deserve the extension.

All I was saying is that I think it is premature. If they end up not making the playoffs this season I do not see one single reason he would deserve an extension.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do find it funny that no sooner does Z get his extension, the team reverts back to how they used to play.

How else do you explain the pathetic Rangers series?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do find it funny that no sooner does Z get his extension, the team reverts back to how they used to play.

How else do you explain the pathetic Rangers series?

Or how immediately after his extension gets signed Jack doesn't turn around a sign an extension for Lloyd.