• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ghostbusters (2016) (reboot)

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it should be OK. The double standard I refer to is the fact feminists protest with one hand while making a movie like this with the other.

And before anyone claims there was no "girl-power" intent here, remember this image...

View attachment 138326

The behind the scenes/real life stuff could've been all the girl power it wants but it didn't make it into the movie. They never portrayed the women in the movie as "see look what these strong powerful women are capable of they don't need men".

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see this wasn't a feminist movie(and god I hate that word, I care about women's rights and equality and that's why I'm not a feminist) it's just a comedy starring women. There was no "see we don't need no man" or "look we're doing the same thing men can do" aspect to the movie it was more like here are 4 main characters and they happen to be women. You could've kept the same script and used men and it would've been the same movie.
I guess that comes down to whether you think a movie about a bunch of women in their late 30s with no mention of anything besides their job is a normal thing. I think it's feminist by default but I also agree that the plot was mostly interchangeable and I personally wasn't offended and my gf liked it. I got my money's worth.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that comes down to whether you think a movie about a bunch of women in their late 30s with no mention of anything besides their job is a normal thing. I think it's feminist by default but I also agree that the plot was mostly interchangeable and I personally wasn't offended and my gf liked it. I got my money's worth.

it is by default, but that is only if we have to label things... it is not like they are throwing the feminist agenda into our faces... and even if they were, i don't see the big deal... if you don't like it, then either don't see it(which many of you were not going to anyway) or do see it and just not like it... I honestly don't get the big deal and why this thread has gotten 6 pages worth... Yea, i get it white man woes...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from the Colorado Premiere and I have to say I was blown away by how good it was. I like most people were skeptical going in based on the female cast and trailers but it's actually a good movie. Nothing amazing but it's certainly better than all the flack it's getting online.

Without spoiling anything the movie is about 70% jokes but they actually work(outside of a few) and there's quite a few awesome cameos(some you expect and some you don't).

Definitely better than Ghostbusters 2 and it doesn't shit all over the original and embarrass itself like some were expecting.
My wife and I thought it stunk. We should have seen a different movie.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no originality in Hollywood if all they can do is remakes strictly for profit.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing about this movie is good. Actors, plot, action, special effects.....they all suck.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. :rolleyes:

'Ghostbusters' Endorses Clinton? Account Tweets "#ImWithHer"

'Ghostbusters' Endorses Clinton? Account Tweets "#ImWithHer"

Who are you going to call? It appears Hillary Clinton.

On Wednesday, the official Twitter account for the Ghostbusters film tweeted an apparent endorsement of Clinton, who on Tuesday night officially became the first female presidential nominee for one of the two major U.S. parties.

"Boo-yah, we smashed your glass ceiling. There was a ghost behind it. #ImWithHer #BustTheCeiling #Ghostbusters," the account tweeted.

The account has more than 60,000 followers. Paul Feig's female-led reboot stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones as the Ghostbusters.

Earlier this month, the cast appeared with Clinton as guests on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Sony declined to comment on the tweet.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh.

I went to see it with my wife and 2 other couples. All of the girls thought it was great and better than the original. The guys all thought it was just ok. Not as good as the "professional" reviewers said, but better than the attack that the internet protestors said.

In general the biggest downside was that the leads, who were decent, were nowhere near the original cast. There was no one who was even close to as good as Bill Murray. The support cast was a bit better but still not as strong as an overall team as Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, and Ernie Hudson. Helmsworth was a good supporting cast member but he he couldn't contribute as much as 3 strong in Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, and Annie Potts.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remakes, sequels, prequels, spin offs and superheroes. Not much original concepts anymore

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remakes, sequels, prequels, spin offs and superheroes. Not much original concepts anymore

And I for one am ok with that. I go see movies I think I'll enjoy and I don't care if this is the 100th telling of the movie or a brand new IP, if I'm entertained that's all I care about. Yes I am the type of person they market these movies towards and I'm just happy to have more movies to see.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally caught it. So yeah, this really did suck. This may now be exhibit A in the case against rebooting movies that we actually seemed to like the first time around.

For me, it wasn't the actresses that wrecked it, but the script was terrible. Their jokes were beyond lame. Leslie Jones was probably the best off because of her delivery and her style, but the rest ranked from boring to sad. It's a shame, because I think all of them could do a great job, to include Thor, but it just felt like they took the original and added shittier jokes. They should have kept this in the same universe too. I mean, if you're going to force feed us all thosee cameos, they might as well make this Ghostbusters 3 and have the girls continue the legacy.

This was honestly one of the shittier summer movies I think I've ever seen. That said, my oldest son was okay with it. He's 7 and thinks ghosts are cool so there's that.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may now be exhibit A in the case against rebooting movies that we actually seemed to like the first time around.
Can I nominate Robocop?

Looks like the movie bombed. Not because its a terrible movie (imo) but because they took a 2nd tier idea (Melissa McCarthy comedy movie) and spent 3x as much money as they needed to in advertising and movie budget.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that it finally came out for rental I gave it a go. How disappointing was that? The constant use of CGI made it feel like I was watching a SyFy movie of the week, but without humor and more star power. There was no real character deviation between the scientists, couple that with the conspiracy/non conspiracy government subplot, this entire movie was poorly conceived. It made at least over 200M worldwide, so perhaps we'll see #2, maybe they'll put some effort into that one.

Montecristo Jones

Metrosexual fascist sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that it finally came out for rental I gave it a go. How disappointing was that? The constant use of CGI made it feel like I was watching a SyFy movie of the week, but without humor and more star power. There was no real character deviation between the scientists, couple that with the conspiracy/non conspiracy government subplot, this entire movie was poorly conceived. It made at least over 200M worldwide, so perhaps we'll see #2, maybe they'll put some effort into that one.
Maybe maybe not. Overall my impression is it wasn't a success for a variety of reasons:

1. Paul Feig's other movies had only about a 1/3rd of the budget of GB but made about 250 million each; this film only made about 200M on a budget of 140M.

2. Feig himself was quoted as saying that the movie would need somewhere in the range of $400-500 million to be considered a "success". Not to mention this movie made a similar amount on a similar budget to Fan4stic, which most critics were saying did poorly on the whole.

3. This was also a summer blockbuster based off of a popular comic book franchise - Sony was probably expecting this to be their own "Iron Man" or "Batman vs Superman", so taking that into account it looks even grimmer.

4. There's so much political rubbish on the internet about this movie I definitely don't trust any of the articles along the lines of "suck it haters!" "Women are funny, deal with it!", "Trolls yada yada!", etc

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from the Colorado Premiere and I have to say I was blown away by how good it was. I like most people were skeptical going in based on the female cast and trailers but it's actually a good movie. Nothing amazing but it's certainly better than all the flack it's getting online.

WRONG

Finally watched this.
It was terrible.
I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.
A complete waste of time.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRONG

Finally watched this.
It was terrible.
I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.
A complete waste of time.
lulz..."he was blown away" about how good it was:shocked:

It's awful, just awful. Absolutely fucking terrible.
I couldn't agree more. It was so bad I couldn't finish it. A terrible movie.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Ghost Busters I and II are superior, but this one wasn't as bad as people say. My kids love it. I can sit through it. The nerdy blonde chick is kind of hot.