• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gerald Demp (Buster) Posey article.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from teh SF Gate. I didn't know they still wrote quality (sports) articles over there.....:p (the Fresno Bee is the worst paper I've ever read. The SJ Merc is my favorite)

Coach's bright idea helped turn Posey into star

I got to know Scott Ostler in my former life in the restaurant business. He and his wife are super people.

Ahem, now that I've made that disclaimer:

I used to love reading him in the LA Times, I'd even go to Harolds on Geary to get the out-of-town papers to follow him. He was one of the great sportswriters of the time (along with Lowell Cohn, but I digress). I was excited when he came to the Chronicle and he wrote amazingly well for a number of years there too. Then, some douchebag in Chronicle management thought "we'll turn Ostler into a sort of Herb Caen of the SF sports world." He's essentially unreadable now. All cutesey/wootsey puns and inside jokes. Thus, I skipped this article today due to the byline.

The Chronicle has wasted an enormous sportswriting talent. Then again, they let Cohn go and kept Glenn Dickless, so they suck balls anyway.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to know Scott Ostler in my former life in the restaurant business. He and his wife are super people.

Ahem, now that I've made that disclaimer:

I used to love reading him in the LA Times, I'd even go to Harolds on Geary to get the out-of-town papers to follow him. He was one of the great sportswriters of the time (along with Lowell Cohn, but I digress). I was excited when he came to the Chronicle and he wrote amazingly well for a number of years there too. Then, some douchebag in Chronicle management thought "we'll turn Ostler into a sort of Herb Caen of the SF sports world." He's essentially unreadable now. All cutesey/wootsey puns and inside jokes. Thus, I skipped this article today due to the byline.

The Chronicle has wasted an enormous sportswriting talent. Then again, they let Cohn go and kept Glenn Dickless, so they suck balls anyway.

That's pretty cool tz, I never knew that he used to write for the LA Times. Not sure, but I think you're a little bit older than I am. Anyway I remember reading Ostler when I was very young up in San Mateo. And good call with the Herb Caen comparison. He was a little before my time too (at least for me to appreciate), but I do remember reading some of his stuff when I was older (even though he was long done with the Chronicle).

I can't remember Ostler's tag line anymore (or one of them anyway), but it was something like "blah blah blah and Bon Mots" or something or other. He was kind of a light hearted, pun infested writer.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty cool tz, I never knew that he used to write for the LA Times. Not sure, but I think you're a little bit older than I am. Anyway I remember reading Ostler when I was very young up in San Mateo. And good call with the Herb Caen comparison. He was a little before my time too (at least for me to appreciate), but I do remember reading some of his stuff when I was older (even though he was long done with the Chronicle).

I can't remember Ostler's tag line anymore (or one of them anyway), but it was something like "blah blah blah and Bon Mots" or something or other. He was kind of a light hearted, pun infested writer.

"Deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots." He was a SERIOUS sportswriter for a loooong time with the LA Times (my Dad turned me on to him).

Re my comment about Cohn, here's today's column:

Point the finger at the Prince of York | PressDemocrat.com

Spot on and even handed. Lowell is a gem, and deserves better than a Santa Rosa paper. Fucking Chron.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots." He was a SERIOUS sportswriter for a loooong time with the LA Times (my Dad turned me on to him).

Re my comment about Cohn, here's today's column:

Point the finger at the Prince of York | PressDemocrat.com

Spot on and even handed. Lowell is a gem, and deserves better than a Santa Rosa paper. Fucking Chron.

Always hated Lowell Cohn, but I can't remember why. Wasn't he an early critic of Bill Walsh? Before the super bowl runs?

LOL. This is pretty good:

LOWELL COHN said:
The Prince set in motion every single problem the Niners currently have. He became enamored of Singletary in the way young men come to admire older men with deep voices.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always hated Lowell Cohn, but I can't remember why. Wasn't he an early critic of Bill Walsh? Before the super bowl runs?

I had never heard of Lowell Cohn before today. How crazy.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I had never heard of Lowell Cohn before today. How crazy.

He and Glen Dickey "were" the sporting green for a while. Both were tools in my opinion. Example: Glen wrote seriously that Montana should have planned his wife's pregnancy around his football schedule - because it was obviously a distraction. This was in a "down" year. Think Nolannonsense (Petitio principii ) on the front page of the sporting green 3-4 times a week.

Lowell was booted out the door a long time ago. Can't remember when now.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and Glen Dickey "were" the sporting green for a while. Both were tools in my opinion. Example: Glen wrote seriously that Montana should have planned his wife's pregnancy around his football schedule - because it was obviously a distraction. This was in a "down" year. Think Nolannonsense (Petitio principii ) on the front page of the sporting green 3-4 times a week.

I have always hated Glen Cockeye. Guy is a little rat. I must have started reading the sporting green a couple years after Cohn. I used to just check out the box scores and the standings when I was really young.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have always hated Glen Cockeye. Guy is a little rat.

I remember he had a classic on air confrontation with Ralph Barbieri, where it came out that Glen simply made up facts and quotes for his column (not as a mater of practice, but in this one specific instance), and Ralph just proceeded to kill him.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have always hated Glen Cockeye. Guy is a little rat. I must have started reading the sporting green a couple years after Cohn. I used to just check out the box scores and the standings when I was really young.

Why didn't you just use the Internet, young fella?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I remember he had a classic on air confrontation with Ralph Barbieri, where it came out that Glen simply made up facts and quotes for his column (not as a mater of practice, but in this one specific instance), and Ralph just proceeded to kill him.

Found a link to an old write-up of that confrontation. Bottom of the page. Third from the last item, actually.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, that's awesome. Not a huge fan of Ralph either, but I like him a lot better than a lot of other personalities. Assuredly much more than Dickeye. A High School buddy of mine (unfortunately, we're more of acquaintances now, but I'm still buddies with his brother) got married to Ralph Barbieri's niece. I never believed him until he kept inexplicably getting these awesome Giants tickets.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL, that's awesome. Not a huge fan of Ralph either, but I like him a lot better than a lot of other personalities. Assuredly much more than Dickeye. A High School buddy of mine (unfortunately, we're more of acquaintances now, but I'm still buddies with his brother) got married to Ralph Barbieri's niece. I never believed him until he kept inexplicably getting these awesome Giants tickets.

Is he looking for a new best friend?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a link to an old write-up of that confrontation. Bottom of the page. Third from the last item, actually.

LOL, nice find. That's awesome. It's weird to read old articles and remember the players that were then with the Giants. I always hated Marvin Benard, before and after the horrid contract.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he looking for a new best friend?

lol, I can always ask. If I remember correctly too, his wife isn't a bad looker at all.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was my favorite quote from the article too. Lowell is an amazing writer.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glenn Dickless was always a fool with no more than sportspage knowledge. Now that you mention it...sort of like Senseless.

Cohn could always write.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for that, GP. I remember that show. It took a number of years for me to come around, but I REALLY hate Ralph and his whiny and akward chiming in style when a guest is speaking. And his fucking run on eternal questions. Jeebus, he's a mess.

But I agree with the blogger: as much as I dislike Ralph, Dickless was an even worse weasel, and the original pantshitting douchebag.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks for that, GP. I remember that show. It took a number of years for me to come around, but I REALLY hate Ralph and his whiny and akward chiming in style when a guest is speaking. And his fucking run on eternal questions. Jeebus, he's a mess.

But I agree with the blogger: as much as I dislike Ralph, Dickless was an even worse weasel, and the original pantshitting douchebag.

I think I am one of the few Ralph supporters. I just chuckle when he goes off on one of his endless parenthetical filled questions. Although, even I'm annoyed when he steps on one his guest's answers to the point that they drop the whole thing.