• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 7 /14 GIANTS vs STROS

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to evaluate players at the all-star break, and not after just 30 or 60 ABs. So, Hector Sanchez's pre-AS line is: .258/.264/.358/.622

That's actually even worse than I feared when I took the position that he shouldn't start the season in SF; he just isn't hitting very well at all. On the other hand, this guy is *clutch* ; he always seems to get the hit when it is absolutely needed (like tonight). That's (at least) the third game-winning hit he's had for the team so far.

Would you have preferred the .202 with no clutch we'd be getting from Stewiside? Everything is relative, .258 from a young backup C is far more than adequate.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I prefer to evaluate players at the all-star break, and not after just 30 or 60 ABs. So, Hector Sanchez's pre-AS line is: .258/.264/.358/.622

That's actually even worse than I feared when I took the position that he shouldn't start the season in SF; he just isn't hitting very well at all. On the other hand, this guy is *clutch* ; he always seems to get the hit when it is absolutely needed (like tonight). That's (at least) the third game-winning hit he's had for the team so far.

What do you expect from a back-up catcher? Hector is essentially the 14th best offensive catcher in the NL. If he can become reacquainted with the walk in the second half, he'll move way up on the catcher rankings.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smooth AND gives you superpowers!

gentleman-jack-psd57181.png

Gives me amazing karoke powers

(surrounding ears may disagree)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After tonight, he is hitting .278

His defense is a little raw, but he is driving in runs at a higher clip than any other Giant. He has half the AB's of Nate, and twice as many RBI's.

Posey leads with an RBI every 6.2 at bats. Hector has an RBI every 5.25 at bats, by FAR the most proficient on the team. Say what you want, the kid is nails in the clutch, unlike so many of the other hackers with RISP.

Hector is hitting .333 with RISP

Leche is hitting .305 with RISP

Posey is hitting .280 with RISP

Panda is hitting .264 with RISP

Sanchez is the only one hitting for a higher average with RISP, all the rest are at least 20 points below their regular average.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is massively awesome. What a hugely demoralizing way to lose a ballgame, much less fall out of first place to your biggest rival. I really feel bad for the Dogies...

...NOT !!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant NAILS it:

So I was pleased that Sanchez had a pleasant offensive game tonight -- it was the perfect night to pick on him. I'd wager that Sanchez cost Lincecum three or four strikes tonight. Really, that's a guess, so don't read too much into it. But I"m pretty convinced that Sanchez's framing and stabbing costs the Giants strikes. And when he had a couple of singles, that made it easier to point out that he should be demoted.

Then he couldn't handle a wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth, and it almost cost the Giants the game. That would have made a demote-Hector sentiment seem reactionary.

Then he got the game-winning hit! Good for Hector! I like him, I really do.

But he needs to be in Fresno.

I'm pretty sure that without any offensive improvement, he could be a perfectly acceptable major-league catcher. If his defense improves, that is. The average-dependent stuff doesn't bother me that much. He's a catcher. If he hits .280 with a .300 OBP when he's 25, well, heck, that's okay. He's a catcher.

But the catching. Stab stab stab. It takes time. It takes repetition. It takes innings. I argued for Sanchez in the spring. Mea culpa. It's not the bat that I'm sour on -- he's still just a pup. I have a shred of hope that he can be a plus-offensive catcher someday. Forget the OBP -- he's got a decent idea of bat control in the majors at the age of a college draftee. But he needs to catch four days out of five instead of two days out of five. It's better for him, and it's probably better for the Giants.

lol dodgers

Chez does need to go to Fresno and catch every day. He really does.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Grant NAILS it:

So I was pleased that Sanchez had a pleasant offensive game tonight -- it was the perfect night to pick on him. I'd wager that Sanchez cost Lincecum three or four strikes tonight. Really, that's a guess, so don't read too much into it. But I"m pretty convinced that Sanchez's framing and stabbing costs the Giants strikes. And when he had a couple of singles, that made it easier to point out that he should be demoted.

Then he couldn't handle a wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth, and it almost cost the Giants the game. That would have made a demote-Hector sentiment seem reactionary.

Then he got the game-winning hit! Good for Hector! I like him, I really do.

But he needs to be in Fresno.

I'm pretty sure that without any offensive improvement, he could be a perfectly acceptable major-league catcher. If his defense improves, that is. The average-dependent stuff doesn't bother me that much. He's a catcher. If he hits .280 with a .300 OBP when he's 25, well, heck, that's okay. He's a catcher.

But the catching. Stab stab stab. It takes time. It takes repetition. It takes innings. I argued for Sanchez in the spring. Mea culpa. It's not the bat that I'm sour on -- he's still just a pup. I have a shred of hope that he can be a plus-offensive catcher someday. Forget the OBP -- he's got a decent idea of bat control in the majors at the age of a college draftee. But he needs to catch four days out of five instead of two days out of five. It's better for him, and it's probably better for the Giants.

lol dodgers

Chez does need to go to Fresno and catch every day. He really does.

Bullshit. Grant's stawhatting, but he's not a stawhat. And you of all people should recognize pure attention whoring pantsshittery on a night Hector had four hits and the Giants moved into first place. Really, a new low for Grant. It really is.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Kinda funny, because you did "evaluate" Hector after 42 AB right here. Also, telling that you did so when he was at a low point in his season, a local minima, just as you do in his thread. I thought it was strange that you would leave off his four hit night from his stats - it's trivial to include them - but it makes sense if you're engaging in confirmation bias.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is massively awesome. What a hugely demoralizing way to lose a ballgame, much less fall out of first place to your biggest rival. I really feel bad for the Dogies...

...NOT !!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

The ump had a huge hand in that. Dodgers were one strike away from winning and when Cabrera tries to steal home, the ump calls him out, so the pitcher just stands on the mound, watching, instead of running to cover home. He does eventually, but if Cabrera had been called safe from the get-go, the pitcher I'm sure that the pitcher would have been a lot faster off the mark to cover home.

Still ... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The ump had a huge hand in that. Dodgers were one strike away from winning and when Cabrera tries to steal home, the ump calls him out, so the pitcher just stands on the mound, watching, instead of running to cover home. He does eventually, but if Cabrera had been called safe from the get-go, the pitcher I'm sure that the pitcher would have been a lot faster off the mark to cover home.

Still ... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

Huge? No way.

None at all? Yes.

That was all on the pitcher, for his inattentiveness on the runner at third, and then not covering the plate when he must have seen the ball sail to the back stop - he threw it there, after all. Any idiot would know the ump would reverse his call when he realized his mistake.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge? No way.

None at all? Yes.

That was all on the pitcher, for his inattentiveness on the runner at third, and then not covering the plate when he must have seen the ball sail to the back stop - he threw it there, after all. Any idiot would know the ump would reverse his call when he realized his mistake.

Agreed. Plus, the pitcher should know enough to follow the ball, or at least charge in if it did get away. Plan A was for him to throw the first runner out. He had no Plan B. Good players always have a Plan B/C/D.

Oh, and boy do they want to crucify him on the Disney Dogie board. BWAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all the chortling about the Dodgers' fuck-up, nobody has mentioned that was one hell of a heads-up (and ballsy) play by Everth Cabrera.

The Padres are one strike from losing, the Dodger crowd is roaring (so it's very hard to hear any audibles from your teammates), he sees that no time-out has been called and that the pitcher isn't paying attention to him and turns his back on first home plate, and then third, and GOES FOR IT.

Standing O for Cabrera, no matter what team he just crushed.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge? No way.

None at all? Yes.

I agree - me, sitting at home on the couch might get distracted by the ump. The professional baseball player shouldn't, and should always have his head in the game.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. Plus, the pitcher should know enough to follow the ball, or at least charge in if it did get away. Plan A was for him to throw the first runner out. He had no Plan B. Good players always have a Plan B/C/D.

Oh, and boy do they want to crucify him on the Disney Dogie board. BWAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

Yeah, both mistakes are indicative of a player who did not have his head in the moment. Inexcusable at all times, egregious when you're trying to close out a win.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In all the chortling about the Dodgers' fuck-up, nobody has mentioned that was one hell of a heads-up (and ballsy) play by Everth Cabrera.

The Padres are one strike from losing, the Dodger crowd is roaring (so it's very hard to hear any audibles from your teammates), he sees that no time-out has been called and that the pitcher isn't paying attention to him and turns his back on first home plate, and then third, and GOES FOR IT.

Yeah, and it did seem like he was sizing up the opportunity before he took off. Nice anticipation.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely. He was the yang to Jansen's yin. An awesome play, esp by Cabrera, but also the second player as well.

Definitely a candidate for the Not Top Ten. BWAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and it did seem like he was sizing up the opportunity before he took off. Nice anticipation.

The Giants will have to remember to keep an eye on the Padres' Cabrera when the Pads come to town last week.