• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would not have thought so in the beginning of the year but Lance has shown absolutely nothing and the 49ers cannot afford to put a guy out there who only can run.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we miss the playoffs, I think Grop is sent packing as planned. But if we make the playoffs, I could see the FO give serious thought to keeping him for another year. 2 years on the bench helped a raw guy like Steven McNair and definitely didn't hurt Aaron Rogers.

Keeping Grop for another year would cost us about the same as this year--26M in cap space. That price puts him in the middle of the league in QB pay, so his pay would roughly match his level of play.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It depends on where Lance is at the end of the season? Not his ability at that pont in time, but what Shannahan projects where his learning curve stands? It won't be crystal clear so Shannahan will have to use his judgement and go with it. We know Lance won't be 100% ready to start, more like 25%, but if his progress is good, we'll have to go with him. At least from a comfort/confidence level, or whatever you want to call it, he'll be ahead of these rookies playing now.

To keep JG, Lance will have to be judged as too 'raw', ie his lack of experience was just too far behind.

IMO not likely we keep JG. There are a bunch of other players we'll want to keep but need JG's cap space to do it. So they'll be a lot of pressure to trade JG, more so if the draft pick offered is good. Don't see us getting a 1st for JG, so i consider a 2nd 'good'.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Garoppolo is scheduled to make $25.6 million next season in salary and bonuses. He said he has tried not to think about what the future holds for him."

It'll depend on Lance and so far i doubt anyone is thinking or gets the impression, Lance is STILL too raw? By the end of this season Lance will be viewed as far enough along to take over in 2022. It is just too difficult keeping Lance on the bench another season, just too much draft capital was spent.

I guess another way JG stays is for Lance to sustain a season long injury.....heaven forbid. For example an ACL in week 17, but let's not go there.

The secondary factor is JG's salary cap hit. Any top team needs quality all around the team so this cap space is necessary for other playerS. There were some key players who came back on 1 year contracts, and we'll need cap space to keep them here. Isn't DJ jones, K'Wawn Williams, and Verrett on 1 year deals?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Contracts for Tomlinson and Mostert are also up in 2022.

We currently have $19M in dead money, and i THINK this will be gone next season? Kwon Alexander still counts almost $7M, Richburg at $3.5, McKinnen at $2M, Marquise Goodwin and Zach Keer over $1M each.

This is the tricky part about signing top Free Agents, you almost always overpay and left with dead money.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Jimmy wins the Super Bowl he's gone next year. How well he does will just determine how much draft capital we get back. He's on track to probably at least return a 2nd round pick to us. If we make the playoffs and go deep maybe we get back a 1st.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even if Jimmy wins the Super Bowl he's gone next year. How well he does will just determine how much draft capital we get back. He's on track to probably at least return a 2nd round pick to us. If we make the playoffs and go deep maybe we get back a 1st.
Yep, unless Lance suffers a bad injury at the end of this season, don't see JG remaining.

I don't see us getting a 1st rounder for JG, maybe a 2nd at best? Maybe multiple picks like a 2nd and 4th at best?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree with this take... you can't eat another $25M in cap space on JG given the free agent situation and the fact that they used 3 1's to get Lance.

If JG wins the SB, maybe they get a 2nd for him. I personally think a 3rd is the best we can hope for. Everyone knows the situation. And everyone knows why the 49ers win games. Without at top-5 running attack, they aren't much of a threat. As consistent as he's played of late, I just don't see JG demanding more than about $15M a year. At $25M... most GM's will take their chances on him being released. That being said, you only need two teams to make a market, and there's a variety of ways that they could eat part of that salary for another team to "entice" a higher pick in return, so I suppose anything is possible. And there are some f'ed up organizations out there, too.

In the meantime, it's good to see him play with more consistency. For purely selfish reasons, I hope he completely balls-out the rest of the year :-) . Plus, he's a decent guy who's handled this whole situation with class and maturity, so I hope he lands on his feet no matter how it goes down.

The die was cast the minute we traded three years of draft capital to select Lance. Three years of draft capital, people. Three years. Three. Years.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, unless Lance suffers a bad injury at the end of this season, don't see JG remaining.

I don't see us getting a 1st rounder for JG, maybe a 2nd at best? Maybe multiple picks like a 2nd and 4th at best?
I totally missed your reply here... I agree, but switch that 2nd for a 3rd :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I totally missed your reply here... I agree, but switch that 2nd for a 3rd :-)
haaa, yeah maybe a 2nd is being TOO optimistic? Like you said, they all know we'll just take the best offer.

There aren't many teams that need a 'bridge' QB?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the die is already cast so this may be moot, but in the two seasons, 3 if you count the 5 and oh record he had as a starter in 2017, Garoppolo is 31-10. Both seasons he has been healthy, the team went to the Super Bowl and now, at least to the NFC Championship game. The two seasons where he was injured, they finished in last place both times.
Bottom line in pro sports is winning and I think they are making a huge mistake getting rid of him. Glad to see he is going out on top

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe the die is already cast so this may be moot, but in the two seasons, 3 if you count the 5 and oh record he had as a starter in 2017, Garoppolo is 31-10. Both seasons he has been healthy, the team went to the Super Bowl and now, at least to the NFC Championship game. The two seasons where he was injured, they finished in last place both times.
Bottom line in pro sports is winning and I think they are making a huge mistake getting rid of him. Glad to see he is going out on top
The die is cast.

Yesterday was a classic example of winning despite JG. We won due with defense and STs, NOT JG even though he is credited with another win. Zero touchdowns by the offense yesterday.

The 49ers win a lot of close games because the offense doesn't score enough points. When the offense has TW, Deebo, Juice, and Kittle to start with, it SHOULD be scoring more points. Aiyuk in no slouch and neither is Mitchell, but through the season there wasn't enough scoring and hence 7 losses. Next season we'll be the same 10-7 with JG, and thats assuming the defense remains good.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The die is cast.

Yesterday was a classic example of winning despite JG. We won due with defense and STs, NOT JG even though he is credited with another win. Zero touchdowns by the offense yesterday.

The 49ers win a lot of close games because the offense doesn't score enough points. When the offense has TW, Deebo, Juice, and Kittle to start with, it SHOULD be scoring more points. Aiyuk in no slouch and neither is Mitchell, but through the season there wasn't enough scoring and hence 7 losses. Next season we'll be the same 10-7 with JG, and thats assuming the defense remains good.
A stunning display of ignorance. You don't understand the game at all. If they win despite Garoppolo how do you explain the 35-15 record when he plays and the 8 and 28 record when he doesn't. Your insistence on this nonsense has reached the point of absurdity.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A stunning display of ignorance. You don't understand the game at all. If they win despite Garoppolo how do you explain the 35-15 record when he plays and the 8 and 28 record when he doesn't. Your insistence on this nonsense has reached the point of absurdity.
JG didn't win the game and everyone in America knows it...........but you. JG didn't play particularly well last week either, facts are facts.

Not everything was his fault yesterday as the Compton was a sieve and there were a few dropped passes. But going forward to the next 4 seasons, it CLEAR why they made the bold mega-trade. We can't keep barely winning and depending on the defense to bail us out. This defense is good but looking ahead, can't keep bailing us out for 'down to the wire wins'. The offense needs to score more points.

JG does deserve credit for his overall time with the 49ers, no doubt. I was for him too prior to this season too but now that 19 games have played out, its clear why the mega-trade happened. This team has proven to be a good overall team and only lacks a top tier QB to dominate.....DOMINATE.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JG didn't win the game and everyone in America knows it...........but you. JG didn't play particularly well last week either, facts are facts.

Not everything was his fault yesterday as the Compton was a sieve and there were a few dropped passes. But going forward to the next 4 seasons, it CLEAR why they made the bold mega-trade. We can't keep barely winning and depending on the defense to bail us out. This defense is good but looking ahead, can't keep bailing us out for 'down to the wire wins'. The offense needs to score more points.

JG does deserve credit for his overall time with the 49ers, no doubt. I was for him too prior to this season too but now that 19 games have played out, its clear why the mega-trade happened. This team has proven to be a good overall team and only lacks a top tier QB to dominate.....DOMINATE.
Blatant display of ignorance. The 49ers won the game and Garoppolo is their quarterback. See, you don't understand the game when you show such wild ignorance as saying "Garoppolo didn't win the game". No quarterback ever wins a game, a team wins a game and Garoppolo's team wins a higher percentage of their games than any other QB except Mahomes.
We will probably all be old men before you ever try to answer the question as to why the team is 35-15 with Garoppolo and 8-28 without him. I will continue to force you to face the question though. You can't ignore it forever.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The die is cast.

This is a talented team on offense. But for the 2nd week in a row, Bad Jimmy showed up to either keep the other team in the game or kill our team's momentum. "Well, he had 2 good drives" is just cleaning up the mess you made. Considering his production and injury history, the FO had to ask whether Jimmy is worth a 35M/year LTD that he'll be wanting to stay. They decided the answer is no and the draft day trade happened. The FO isn't making a knee-jerk reaction--like us, they've had years to see the best of Jimmy and how often it happens vs. the worst of Jimmy and how often it happens.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crazy thing to me, Nick Mullens has the most yards passing of anyone in NFL history through 17 games.

And has 5 wins as a starter.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crazy thing to me, Nick Mullens has the most yards passing of anyone in NFL history through 17 games.

And has 5 wins as a starter.
The type of Quarterback Deep Niner loves! Ha ha. Its only stats when it comes to QBs for him, not wins.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If there's one SMALL consolation, we didn't trade away a high 1st round pick this draft.

Don't think a JG trade will recoup a 1st, not even a 2nd.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there's one SMALL consolation, we didn't trade away a high 1st round pick this draft.

Don't think a JG trade will recoup a 1st, not even a 2nd.
It's the small victories in life that matter....

I've still got him at a 3rd right now. Maybe we get a 2nd if he shows up big for the rest of the playoffs. All of the things that have made the FO hesitant about him have showed up in these first two playoff games. Thank god the defense and ST have been balling! It is a team game, and Jimmy is doing his part when it counts - certainly can't fault him for that!! But it's hard not to look at things and wonder what more consistent QB play could bring.