• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 63 - Edmonton Oilers at Philadelphia Flyers(3-3-16): 7:00pm EST

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG, they can't even get over the blue line.
That last two minutes was just obscene.

Loosing to the Oilers at home. Just not the way to get into the Playoffs.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not enough focus and intensity early and late in this one. Way too slow of a start and just no luck the entire game. We dominated them in the second and got outscored 2-0...Lol

I'm pretty sure we hit at least three posts/crossbars.

Growing pains for Ghost. He showed some flashes of brilliance in all zones, but then both times he turns it over, it ends up in our net.

I would be surprised if Schenn isn't out now with a concussion after he hit the back of his head hard on the ice. This could be the beginning of the end unfortunately and it's the fucking Oilers...

Plenty of time to get back in the race, but if we lose a key player or two due to injury from this game, that could be about it.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I have slept on it and rewatched parts of the game....
1. Hall's breakaway was a result of poor on ice communication between Ghost and AMac. When Ghost cheats in his partner has to slide over .... this did not happen. Usually Ghost can catch a player (and he did catch up to Hall) but very few players (Hall) can get off a shot under that kind of backside pressure let alone score. That was a combination of a very good play/shot by Hall and a near breakdown recovery on the Flyers' part.
2. The Ghost giveaway. This looked more like the result of good scouting and coaching by the Oilers. Ghost has a tendency to make little fade away flip passes to start PP breakouts. If you pressure the zone between Ghost and his nearest team mate...turnover.
3. The Flyers got pushed around. Not having Jake to play a heavy board possession game made it easy on the Oilers in their D zone. Cooter and Schenn did their parts using their size and skating. The Flyers D looked small and outmuscled. Medvedez does not play up to his size. Gudas tries to play a big/heavy game but is not a big player and simply bounced off Maroon on two occasions. We all know Ghost is small, scrappy as all hell, but small. Some of this could be down to not expecting the Oilers to play with the passion that they did. Some of it could be the Flyers being too confident in winning at home.
4. The Flyers hit 4 posts. Some of those seeing eye shots that Ghost was scoring on earlier in the season...well, he got off two of them last night. One hit the post the other was tipped away by Talbot.
5. Don't expect to see Schenn Saturday. I can't believe he was even aloud back out after he hit his head on the ice.
6. Do we go with Mason against his old team? Does Manning replace someone? Does Umberger dress? Will G ever score another goal? These are the questions that are still hanging.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeeeeeeesh.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's the fucking Oilers...

I'm sorry, but if I'm Hakstol, this loss (and effort or lack thereof) really infuriates me. Yes, we probably should've scored at least a couple goals, but where in the hell did we go for the majority of the 1st and 3rd periods? It's just unacceptable at home and in this position.

To make matters worse, all of our competitors got the two points.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's the fucking Oilers...

I'm sorry, but if I'm Hakstol, this loss (and effort or lack thereof) really infuriates me. Yes, we probably should've scored at least a couple goals, but where in the hell did we go for the majority of the 1st and 3rd periods? It's just unacceptable at home and in this position.

To make matters worse, all of our competitors got the two points.

They broke after the 2nd in which they DOMINATED but still lost the period 2-0. You hope you don't see that type of 3rd period, but down 3-0 in a game which you have every right to be in, or even be winning, i can understand frustration getting the better of you. Comes down to leadership though, gotta persevere through that.

The first period definitely should have been better though. They thought the Oilers would just keel over and give it to them. Then they looked like boys against men out there in the first.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit, the Oilers got pretty lucky to get 4 goals and also have us hit 4 posts (with zero goals), but in many ways you do make your own luck. We did not get enough traffic in front of Talbot and we were not hungry enough to win battles throughout the majority of the game. Our power play started off hot, but could not quite cash in, then it looked terrible later on.

Honestly, after the second period and being down 0-3, I was still thinking we could win the thing with just one great period. Our players came out and felt differently. Not enough there to even begin to make a surge.

Even with this game in the books, the Oilers have given up 22 more goals than us this season. We should not have thrown in the towel so damn easily.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit, the Oilers got pretty lucky to get 4 goals and also have us hit 4 posts (with zero goals), but in many ways you do make your own luck. We did not get enough traffic in front of Talbot and we were not hungry enough to win battles throughout the majority of the game. Our power play started off hot, but could not quite cash in, then it looked terrible later on.

Honestly, after the second period and being down 0-3, I was still thinking we could win the thing with just one great period. Our players came out and felt differently. Not enough there to even begin to make a surge.

Even with this game in the books, the Oilers have given up 22 more goals than us this season. We should not have thrown in the towel so damn easily.

After watching the first 30 seconds of PP time i thought for sure the PP would strike. And that wasn't because the Flyers PP looked good. The Oilers PK was SO passive. Any team, especially the Flyers, will rip apart a passive PK all day long. They just couldn't hit the net, and when they did, it was right at Talbot.

I was right there with you. Down 3-0 i thought if they could steal one before the end of the 2nd (had a PP), that they'd probably win the game. They couldn't get that goal and it sucked the life right out of them.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games like this happen but man the timing couldn't have been worse against a bottom feeder. Better bounce back...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games like this happen but man the timing couldn't have been worse against a bottom feeder. Better bounce back...

It's just crushing because we had an opportunity to keep rolling at home. Also, I expect Schenn to be out for a couple weeks...and this is just one game after he scores his first career hat trick.

Anyone have any word on that yet? That was a nasty fall and he had no way to protect himself.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fads.0.gif

That was ugly, and the game was very difficult to watch.
There has been no word on whether he'll be in Saturday or not yet.