• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 56 - Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils(2-16-16): 7:00pm EST

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
large.png vs. large.png

Game Time: 7:00pm EST
Channel: CSN-PH
Venue: Prudential Center

First Goal Prediction Standings:
flyersfan4706 - 10
Cobiemonster - 5
Maverick426h - 3
awaz - 3
chy1127 - 3
lasgop8 - 2
wbon22 - 2
WOOTPOKER - 2
dspice07 - 1
banditshcky11 - 1
4thstreet - 1
FlyerFinFan - 1
DutchBird - 1
mall3013 - 0
EVille3 - 0
shrike19 - 0

Links:
Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils - February 16th, 2016

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claude Giroux

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Ghost. Either way, it's time for our big-time, clutch players to do what they do best.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!! :yes:

Ghost gets the first goal and we eventually cruise during a clutch 3rd period to a 6-3 victory. So, we get the last laugh in this particular season series. It is also the first time all season long that Schneider has given up 5 goals and that NJ has given up 6, so this tastes really sweet.

Huge props to the penalty killing and overall special teams play in this one. We were shorthanded for about 13 and a half minutes of this game, which is absolutely ridiculous by the way, and only gave up one goal. Meanwhile, we scored on 2 of our 4 power plays.

Someone must really be in the ear of the refs about Gudas. Yes, it was a dumb mistake by him, but I didn't see head contact or any reason to kick him from the game. Maybe I need a better angle, but that looked just like an interference call. A double minor at the absolute most. I may be out of my element here Donnie, but I didn't see him target the head with intent to injure. I thought the five minutes were a complete gift to NJ and they did end up scoring, which gave them a huge edge.

For whatever reason though, we continue to perform better in front of Neuvy than we do in front of Mase. Admittedly, once the game got tied at two, I figured we would fold and lose in regulation or a shootout, but we took it to them and really finished them off good.

Really great to see Ghost extend his Nhl record point streak to 13 and to see guys like Voracek and Cousins score goals that were real daggers. Giroux vaults up into a tie for 15th in Nhl scoring with 3 assists as well. He is only 5 points out of 5th place, which is about where we expect him to eventually be. I hope he gets there and Voracek is not far behind either.

Unfortunately, the Canes and Sens both won also, but we did gain two points on the Lightning. They are struggling a bit here and we may have the opportunity to catch them in the standings with a home/home in March and presumably a healthy Couturier at that stage too.

Way to not give up on the season!! We are four points back of a tie for a wild card spot with 26 games still to play. Despite trades that are likely on the way, anything is possible here. Getting Couturier back will be like acquiring a player at the deadline and our defense may be able to stomach a loss of Streit or Medvedev, especially if/when Del Zotto returns.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ghost gets the first goal and we eventually cruise during a clutch 3rd period to a 6-3 victory. So, we get the last laugh in this particular season series. It is also the first time all season long that Schneider has given up 5 goals and that NJ has given up 6, so this tastes really sweet.

Huge props to the penalty killing and overall special teams play in this one. We were shorthanded for about 13 and a half minutes of this game, which is absolutely ridiculous by the way, and only gave up one goal. Meanwhile, we scored on 2 of our 4 power plays.

Someone must really be in the ear of the refs about Gudas. Yes, it was a dumb mistake by him, but I didn't see head contact or any reason to kick him from the game. Maybe I need a better angle, but that looked just like an interference call. A double minor at the absolute most. I may be out of my element here Donnie, but I didn't see him target the head with intent to injure. I thought the five minutes were a complete gift to NJ and they did end up scoring, which gave them a huge edge.

For whatever reason though, we continue to perform better in front of Neuvy than we do in front of Mase. Admittedly, once the game got tied at two, I figured we would fold and lose in regulation or a shootout, but we took it to them and really finished them off good.

Really great to see Ghost extend his Nhl record point streak to 13 and to see guys like Voracek and Cousins score goals that were real daggers. Giroux vaults up into a tie for 15th in Nhl scoring with 3 assists as well. He is only 5 points out of 5th place, which is about where we expect him to eventually be. I hope he gets there and Voracek is not far behind either.

Unfortunately, the Canes and Sens both won also, but we did gain two points on the Lightning. They are struggling a bit here and we may have the opportunity to catch them in the standings with a home/home in March and presumably a healthy Couturier at that stage too.

Way to not give up on the season!! We are four points back of a tie for a wild card spot with 26 games still to play. Despite trades that are likely on the way, anything is possible here. Getting Couturier back will be like acquiring a player at the deadline and our defense may be able to stomach a loss of Streit or Medvedev, especially if/when Del Zotto returns.
I think we play better in front of Neuvy because he has much better rebound control and handles the puck a lot smarter. Radko penalty was a total dive but a stupid play none the less as he has turned into nothing more than Rinaldo was at this point. Ghost is a god send and he is only going to get better.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He will get the Rinaldo treatment from here on out. As Meltzer said in his blog today, it was ridiculous for him to get a major and tossed from the game. This is probably a payback for him not getting a suspension from his head shot on Sabres rookie last week imo. I just wish the Flyers would get rid of these type of players. Rinaldo, Car Bomb, and others that just don't belong here.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get the Rinaldo treatment from here on out. As Meltzer said in his blog today, it was ridiculous for him to get a major and tossed from the game. This is probably a payback for him not getting a suspension from his head shot on Sabres rookie last week imo. I just wish the Flyers would get rid of these type of players. Rinaldo, Car Bomb, and others that just don't belong here.
If the Flyers have to get rid of Gudas then the wings should have to dump kronwall. The guy just needs to tone it down just a touch and he'll be fine. He's a good player and gives the team some muscle out there you can't just have a bunch of ice dancers in the lineup...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Flyers have to get rid of Gudas then the wings should have to dump kronwall. The guy just needs to tone it down just a touch and he'll be fine. He's a good player and gives the team some muscle out there you can't just have a bunch of ice dancers in the lineup...
If we got rid of Gudas im sure we would replace him with Morin who is no ice dancer.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally loved this win. Doubled-up the flippin Devils who I simply cannot stand. Right up there with the Rangers. Anytime the Flyers pile it on over these New jersey bastards the better! Gostisbehere started it off with an excellent top shelf goal. They showed it over and over on NHL Tonight. I could have watched that for an hour or so. Bam! 1-0 Flyers!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Gudas is not just some no-talent thug that has a bad temper. He actually can skate well and makes plenty of true hockey plays. He is a legitimate defender, he just occasionally crosses the line ever so slightly and/or makes a bad judgement call. That's part of being a guy who routinely crushes people and usually in the legal fashion. There's really not a lot of time to react out there.

This particular incident looked like a regular interference call though. The five minute match penalty was extremely excessive and also troubling for us moving forward. Gudas may never get a fair shake here.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Gudas is not just some no-talent thug that has a bad temper. He actually can skate well and makes plenty of true hockey plays. He is a legitimate defender, he just occasionally crosses the line ever so slightly and/or makes a bad judgement call. That's part of being a guy who routinely crushes people and usually in the legal fashion. There's really not a lot of time to react out there.

This particular incident looked like a regular interference call though. The five minute match penalty was extremely excessive and also troubling for us moving forward. Gudas may never get a fair shake here.
Exactly and it bothers me that the wings are allowed to let kronwall run around like an idiot but the Flyers should give away a similar guy because he plays in Philadelphia.

Las I'm scared that Morin will get the same treatment so when does it end? Chara was praised but Philly will have to trade Morin after a few marginal hits from a guy who is supposed to hit to be effective? At some point the Flyers will have to put out a propaganda video showing that they are no worse than other teams....Gudas just needs to reel it in a touch and he'll be a good player in his role.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Ken Daneyko, the color analyst for the Devils that also holds the team record for games played, thought it was just a two minute minor penalty at the time of the call. I remember hearing that live, but I just heard it again in a replay of the hit. If that guy isn't in some way biased toward the Devils, then I don't know who is, and yet even he knew they got a massive break.