• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 24 - Philadelphia Flyers at San Jose Sharks(12-2-14): 10:00pm EST

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
large.png
vs.
large.png

Game Time: 10:00pm EST/7:00pm PST
Channel: CSN-PH/NBCSN
Venue: SAP Center

Links:
Philadelphia Flyers at San Jose Sharks - 12/02/2014
Sharks searching for consistency as they prep for Flyers | CSN Bay Area
Snider: Poor-performing Flyers need to 'turn it around' | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

Slow starts and bad finishes have been issues for the Flyers both of late and in the early part of October. Entering tonight's game, the Flyers have been outscored by opponents in first periods by a 22-18 margin and by 29-20 margin in third periods. The Flyers hold a narrow 21-20 edge in second periods.

The Flyers have over-relied on their top line, top power play unit and their goaltenders to bear the entire burden. When those facets do not shine in spectacular fashion, the team has been losing ugly. Too many Flyers players aren't skating, forechecking or defending up to par. Normally a team strength in recent years, penalty killing has been a particular sore spot for the Flyers (especially on the road).

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

Slow starts and bad finishes have been issues for the Flyers both of late and in the early part of October. Entering tonight's game, the Flyers have been outscored by opponents in first periods by a 22-18 margin and by 29-20 margin in third periods. The Flyers hold a narrow 21-20 edge in second periods.

The Flyers have over-relied on their top line, top power play unit and their goaltenders to bear the entire burden. When those facets do not shine in spectacular fashion, the team has been losing ugly. Too many Flyers players aren't skating, forechecking or defending up to par. Normally a team strength in recent years, penalty killing has been a particular sore spot for the Flyers (especially on the road).

True, basically just Giroux, Voracek, & Mason, no one else.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice article Awaz, will be interesting to see how Raffl does with the Giroux/Voracek line. Also Laughton centering the 2nd line, that should also be interesting. Good luck to you guys tonight :suds:

Raffl looked good up there before he got hurt and at this point a blind pigeon would probably produce with G and Voracek, so I'm not worried about that line at all.

I really like the 2nd line on paper. Tons of grit, if they can out work teams and cycle them to death, that could be a productive line.

The rest is a tossup.

I'm curious to see what they do with the 2nd PP unit without Vinny on it. It has been terrible all season, but they ran it through Vinny's shot. Curious to see where they go without that as a weapon.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winger Michael Raffl is expected to move back to the top line . . . Scott Laughton will center the second line with Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds . . . Zac Rinaldo is likely to skate with Sean Couturier and Matt Read, while Pierre-Edouard Bellemare will be reinserted in the lineup alongside R.J. Umberger and Chris VandeVelde

so its
Raffl - G - Jake
Schenn - Laughton - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Couts - Read
Umberger - Frenchie - VV

On D looks like
Streit - Grossman
Some combo of Coburn, MDZ, Schultz and Schenn.

Sitting -
A Mac, CC, Orange Cone and the Picture of Timonen.

I think CC should play over Coburn. I still think the Orange Cone - Picture of Timonen would be our 2nd pairing and push the 1st for crunch time minutes.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raffl looked good up there before he got hurt and at this point a blind pigeon would probably produce with G and Voracek, so I'm not worried about that line at all.

I really like the 2nd line on paper. Tons of grit, if they can out work teams and cycle them to death, that could be a productive line.

The rest is a tossup.

I'm curious to see what they do with the 2nd PP unit without Vinny on it. It has been terrible all season, but they ran it through Vinny's shot. Curious to see where they go without that as a weapon.

If it's been terrible then Vinny's shot must not be that big of a weapon

I suppose they could use MDZ as more of a weapon but I dunno

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's been terrible then Vinny's shot must not be that big of a weapon

I suppose they could use MDZ as more of a weapon but I dunno

lol, truth. should see some new faces on there tonight. AMac and Vinny both played on that unit. Never understood AMac's inclusion on that unit. Even when everyone was healthy and playing well.

Laughton.Couturier.Raffl.Read.MDZ

I guess? I don't see how you could include anyone else at this point.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, truth. should see some new faces on there tonight. AMac and Vinny both played on that unit. Never understood AMac's inclusion on that unit. Even when everyone was healthy and playing well.

Laughton.Couturier.Raffl.Read.MDZ

I guess? I don't see how you could include anyone else at this point.

Yeah they don't have much else

First unit is 17-28-10-93-32 and the 2nd pairing could be 49-14-12-24-15 - in a perfect world, if they had more, Matt Read would be bumped off because of how he's played

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they don't have much else

First unit is 17-28-10-93-32 and the 2nd pairing could be 49-14-12-24-15 - in a perfect world, if they had more, Matt Read would be bumped off because of how he's played

Ya, really Read doesn't get enough flack for his play this season. He's really been bad. He needs to step it up.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, really Read doesn't get enough flack for his play this season. He's really been bad. He needs to step it up.

I think he should be scratched by now but so many of them are playing bad that you can't scratch them all

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good god just fucking fire Chief already:

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he should be scratched by now but so many of them are playing bad that you can't scratch them all

heh ya, can only bench so many guys. I can't believe Umberger continues to play.

Good god just fucking fire Chief already:

I disagree strongly with that idea. Not the only concern, but who the hell plays the point on the 2nd PP unit? Coburn, Grossmann, Schenn, CC? Or does this mean AMac is going to play?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh ya, can only bench so many guys. I can't believe Umberger continues to play.

I disagree strongly with that idea. Not the only concern, but who the hell plays the point on the 2nd PP unit? Coburn, Grossmann, Schenn, CC? Or does this mean AMac is going to play?

I read that A-Mac's playing, so yeah he's probably taking that spot

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that A-Mac's playing, so yeah he's probably taking that spot

I still think an Orange Cone or Picture of Timonen would be better than A Mac. If MDZ is sitting then play CC. The other bums have had a shot and CC played well earlier. If he is healthy he is better than 50 % of those dressing.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Hexy threatened to have Vinny scratched for the next 4 years if Vinny would retire. Sure he loses his Flyers money, but is it really worth riding the bus? Tampa would still be paying him

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del Zotto is probably still banged up

Looking at the bottom 2 lines honestly everyone of them sucks

Umberger, Read, et all fucking suck

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever