• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gabe York's progress

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 4 years ago that many of us were hoping Gabe York would wind up as a Wildcat, but then the coaching staff signed Josiah Turner and cooled on York... we all know how that wound up. After Turner was shown the door, Miller and his staff made York a top priority and were fortunate enough that he was still very interested.

Fast forward to last preseason when the casual (I only know recruits from what I see on youtube) fans were posting things like "I can't wait to see York dunking on everyone and draining 30 footers this year!" We cautioned them that he was way behind on his D, that he would have to work on that side of the ball in order to see the court for a Sean Miller coached team... turns out we were right. 90 minutes of court time all year, whispers that he would be transferring (mostly from jealous Huskies), and a lot of uncertainty.

But rather than transfer, he stuck it out and went to work. He spent all summer in the gym getting stronger and on the court working on his defense and he came back this fall more focused and determined to prove he belongs at this level. He most certainly does. As it's always been for Gabe, getting into the lane for a floater, hitting an open three, or elevating for a dunk, he makes offense look easy... but he is playing above average on-ball defense and that is why he is one of the most important players on this years team. I wasn't sure how committed he would be after last year, but any doubt has already been answered. It is early, but he is averaging 12.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2 assists and only .5 turnovers while shooting 55% from the field and 52% from deep.

After scoring a career high 20 points last night, you would expect him to be a little full of himself, but rather than gloat about about his first college 20 point game he said:

"I think defensively I’ve surprised the coaches a little bit,” York said. “Defense is what I’ve been priding myself on and offense sort of has come easy to me. Defense is really the main thing I’m concerned about.”

I sure am glad that Josiah Turner is a pot head. York is Arizona Good

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure am glad that Josiah Turner is a pot head. York is Arizona Good

:suds: Here, here!

So many of us have been rooting for this kid since recruitment. We've been almost willing him to improve on the defensive side, in order to get him more minutes. For those who question Miller's ability to coach: take nothing away from York, but this is yet another tangible situation where Miller's ability to coach has benefitted the team, almost immeasurably. Had Miller not stuck to his guns (read; coaching philosophy) -that in his system- good defense leads to good offense, then York probably isn't as good of a defender -to mach his offensive prowess. Instead, he is not only the offensive shooter that we were "missing", but he is also maintaing the defensive integrity of this powerful wall that AZ provides on the other side of the ball. Can't say enough about Miller and York's patience in this situation, coupled with Gabe's strong work ethic. Special kid, for sure.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, Gumby. Love seeing York progress right before our eyes. He's so confident right now.