• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's way too early power rankings...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About what I expected for the Broncos. They do have a lot of question marks moving forward. As another poster said though that not having Manning on the team could actually be a blessing not a curse moving forward. They also get back some starters on the OL that was so terrible all year long and the guys who did start were first year players for the most part so should have a better OL this next year. Still way too early to be thinking too much into Power Rankings. Rosters turn over way too much from year to year to know what these teams will look like come September.

Power Rankings are just something to talk about.

I think the Broncos could be really good next year again. And Osweiler may become a top flight QB. But right now, he is still a question mark. Which is why the Broncos aren't the No. 1 team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But right now, he is still a question mark. Which is why the Broncos aren't the No. 1 team.
Less of a question mark than Peyton

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, there's a real high bar

:behindsofa:

Setting the bar pretty low?

Haha. Actually, I'm kinda excited about the Brownies. They will probably be bad again next year, but I really like the moves in the front office. Analytic heavy approach has been missing in the NFL while other leagues have capitalized on it. I think the Browns are well positioned and have a really good team built in that regard to take advantage. Might take a few years, but I'm excited to see what changes they bring and how their approach is.

It gives me some hope, which has been sorely lacking for a long time up in Cleve

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. Actually, I'm kinda excited about the Brownies. They will probably be bad again next year, but I really like the moves in the front office. Analytic heavy approach has been missing in the NFL while other leagues have capitalized on it. I think the Browns are well positioned and have a really good team built in that regard to take advantage. Might take a few years, but I'm excited to see what changes they bring and how their approach is.

It gives me some hope, which has been sorely lacking for a long time up in Cleve
Meh, as a Steelrers fan it's in my nature to hate y'all, but I cannot deny your passion and loyalty no doubt.....especially given that franchise's performance since it's reincarnation.

I hate saying it, but if any team's fans "deserve" to see their team win, it's probably Brownies fans

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, as a Steelrers fan it's in my nature to hate y'all, but I cannot deny your passion and loyalty no doubt.....especially given that franchise's performance since it's reincarnation.

I hate saying it, but if any team's fans "deserve" to see their team win, it's probably Brownies fans

My thought is that the Browns literally have nothing to lose. What if this new approach fails...well then they're still in the same place they currently are. Nothing lost by giving it a shot.

Something's gotta change up there, so I'm all for it.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This list... About as credible a prediction tool as last years LOLSkins fest to place the Skins the worst team in the NFL.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Because Manning is done.

IMO, this isn't any different than when Elway retired.
It's quite a bit different, actually. The Broncos went into the 99 season expecting Bubby Brister to be the starting quarterback, as he'd filled in quite well when Elway missed time in 98 due to injuries. But during the preseason, Shanahan decided to give the starting job to Brian Griese instead. This divided the locker room, as a lot of veterans felt that Brister was the better option. The team got off to an 0-4 start that culminated with the injury to Terrell Davis, and they were never able to recover.

The other big difference is that the 98 team primarily won because they had a great offense. They had an opportunistic defense that thrived when the offense got them the lead. But without the offense jumping out to early leads, the defense had trouble stopping people.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite a bit different, actually. The Broncos went into the 99 season expecting Bubby Brister to be the starting quarterback, as he'd filled in quite well when Elway missed time in 98 due to injuries. But during the preseason, Shanahan decided to give the starting job to Brian Griese instead. This divided the locker room, as a lot of veterans felt that Brister was the better option. The team got off to an 0-4 start that culminated with the injury to Terrell Davis, and they were never able to recover.

The other big difference is that the 98 team primarily won because they had a great offense. They had an opportunistic defense that thrived when the offense got them the lead. But without the offense jumping out to early leads, the defense had trouble stopping people.

You are referring to the specifics of the two situations.

I'm talking about how people viewed the prospects of the 98 Broncos team compared to today. A Hall of Fame QB who was clearly passed his prime hangs them up, leaving the team the options of a couple of unproven QBs. While it was possible that one of them could have replaced Elway without skipping a beat, it wasn't the most likely outcome.

It they did a day after the Super Bowl Power Poll in 1998, I daresay the Broncos would not have been #1 then either.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This list... About as credible a prediction tool as last years LOLSkins fest to place the Skins the worst team in the NFL.

Not a prediction tool at all. We still have the draft and free agency and injuries and about 30% of NFL teams have new coaches. Way too much variability to predict anything.

But it does a good job of talking about where people see teams RIGHT NOW.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are referring to the specifics of the two situations.

I'm talking about how people viewed the prospects of the 98 Broncos team compared to today. A Hall of Fame QB who was clearly passed his prime hangs them up, leaving the team the options of a couple of unproven QBs. While it was possible that one of them could have replaced Elway without skipping a beat, it wasn't the most likely outcome.

It they did a day after the Super Bowl Power Poll in 1998, I daresay the Broncos would not have been #1 then either.
I'm pretty sure most people were still pretty high on the Broncos going into 99. They still had Terrell Davis, and Elway had pretty pedestrian numbers when he did play. In fact, Brister had a higher rating, completion percentage, touchdown percentage, and lower interception percentage in 98 than Elway did. Plus people even thought the defense would be better with the addition of Dale Carter.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who take these rankings seriously are funny. You know ESPN made it just to get people talking. It's worthless. Shouldn't even be giving it attention. Anybody follow ESPN's Facebook posts? They are laughable. Right there with Fox News as the worst media outlets in the world.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a prediction tool at all. We still have the draft and free agency and injuries and about 30% of NFL teams have new coaches. Way too much variability to predict anything.

But it does a good job of talking about where people see teams RIGHT NOW.

Agreed. Tho the truth is that there will always be people who use rankings as a predictor for a team in what is obviously a week to week, year to year, league.