• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Enough said on Votto

BoomerLarkin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Votto doubters are going to go away. Now, how concerned is everyone about Bruce?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce is hitting like .280 which is up from last year, he also seems to be taking more walks. He just isn't hitting the HRs yet. I think he will be fine.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about either of them but I think Dusty could get a little more creative with the lineups.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce has always seemed like a streaky hitter. One month he can't hit shit, the next he hits lights out. IMO.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see that Bruce has any unique problems. He's the same hitter he's always been. It could be more circumstance than style in his HR shortage. He will hit 5 in a weekend and be back in the hunt for the team lead.

Mostly, what I want to continue is the long-ball and clutch hitting from Frazier and the occasional double from Heisey and Mesoraco. Whatever Votto does is going to make Phillips a better hitter now that he seems to have adapted to the cleanup job.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce is a swingaholic... But has shown strides in taking the outside pitch oppage and drawing an occasional walk. I'm not concerned with the lack of homers, they'll come in time. Votto is going to walk a ton, and will have to have the discipline not to chase.

What I am concerned with is the long stretches of not scoring against even mediocre pitching, largely leaving a ton on base for lack of hitting a routine flyball or grounder behind a runner. The 2 hole in the lineup presents a problem here because the 3 (Votto) is going to be pitched around. Just need a little better situational hitting with less than 2 outs. I'd like to see more of Robinson.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds hitters look like their MO is going to be the same as last year ... wait for the big inning, usually late. What bothers me about this is letting pitchers off the hook in the first inning. By doing that, you fail to challenge the other team's bullpen.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I make half jokes a lot that Dusty can't make a left turn on the bases without a homer... Because frequently it's true. Small park, low contact hitters, and lack of fundamental understanding of productive outs and Baserunning all contribute to limiting the offense to reliance on 2 out hits and homers... The RAREST types. It defines the offensive inconsistency of this team. Until you do something different, you should expect similar results.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasnt one bit worried about Votto and Im not one bit worried about Bruce.I actually think this is gonna be Bruces breakout year.But when Bruce comes around we wont be stranding as many runners on base, thats for sure.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's safe to say Votto's found his swing in 2013. He's stroking it now. I'm still worried about the situational hitting, though. They left an army on base in the Marlins series. Can't do that against major league teams...

Krazy01920

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I've liked the approach a lot better this year from the entire team as far as hitting goes....they have been striking out but they have been working better counts and grinding at bats a lot more....they are getting a ton of runners on and eventually they'll knock them in more consistently.....leading the league in runs scored I think?

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I've liked the approach a lot better this year from the entire team as far as hitting goes....they have been striking out but they have been working better counts and grinding at bats a lot more....they are getting a ton of runners on and eventually they'll knock them in more consistently.....leading the league in runs scored I think?

I completely agree,They will score alot more runs when Bruce starts swinging the bat in that 5 hole.

jdombar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not worried about Bruce at all. His 11 pitch walk last week against Cliff Lee was the at bat of the game, the series and Bruce's career. I think he has had a general change to his hitting Philosophy working with what pitchers are giving him. In doing so I wouldn't be suprised to see a little less power expecially early in the seaon but a better batting average and on-base percentage. Once Bruce becomes more and more comfortable with the change of philosiphy he will start hitting alot more home runs, but there will be alot less pulling the ball and alot more left center field shots. Much more of a Joey Votto approach. This new approach will allow Bruce to be more consistant which has been a major goal of his the past two years.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Bruce. IMO, some of the previous ( and still current to some degree) problem with the Reds plate philosophy has been a pull or else ( homer or starve attitude) approach that neither nets more homers OR advances runners. Bruce's hitting the other way does display a more Vottoesc attitude to do the most with the pitch he's given, an improvement to the K and rollover DP results of trying to play Dustyball. I also beg to differ that " walks just clog up the bases" they put runners on... Clearly a better run potential scenario than 3 solo homers. Homers will come.

MHubbuch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto never starts out like gang busters. he will be there in the end