• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Draft Talk...just for fun

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no we don't need more screen passes i.e short passes to wr's we need to streach the field and we need to call givens numbers more sometimes I one see Bradford throw or look his was maybe 5 time on the high end

the thing that annoys me the most about Austin is the first guy never misses if you supposed to be small quick fast shifty kinda guy why am I not seeing it on the field? that cant all be on shotty
and ok retro sounds good

Austin is not a stretch-the-field guy. That's Givens. The plays for Austin need to be quick-hitters to get him a chance in space to use his agility.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just say, first off... The Rams FO are not who we thought they were. The FO thought they were putting together the GSOT2, but reality they reached and had no business drafting Tavon Austin in the top 10. Now that the Rams have found an identity (smashmouth football and manage the game and clock), they realize what they have and are not trying to make a QB go out and win games like Manning, Brady, Brees, etc. I also find it interesting that all of the QBs I mentioned have a solid D that makes it ok to run a No-huddle offense.

Back to the draft. Looking back now, do we draft Tavon? It's kind of funny that #11 doesn't even see the field in a 1st down situation right now, because he's 175 and cannot block. We are not an air-it-out team. YET. But overall, you move up to get a 6'4 215 WR like Julio Jones, not a small WR that's won't be on the field in running situations.

So with the upcoming draft, of course we need the Rams' year to play out and watch the stud college players finish up.

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville - i doubt he will be there when we pick unless Washington tanks.
Aaron Murray, Georgia - absolutely not
Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M - maybe, he's short and doesn't have a Brees arm, sophomore
AJ McCarron, Alabama - HELL NO
Tajh Boyd, Clemson - i'm interested
Zach Mettenberger, LSU - no not really, he's a pocket guy and doesn't have speed
Braxton Miller, Ohio State - i'm interested
Marcus Mariota, Oregon - HELL FUCKING YES this kid is special but he's a sophomore
Derek Carr, Fresno State - I'm interested, but he's played no top D yet. tough to evaluate

The guy I like is Sammy Wadkins. I think we need to take an O-lineman, but again let's see how this season ends up. Anyone know why Barrett - Alabama kid we drafted - isn't playing?

We to stock up on another solid DB, RB as well.

I think with top picks you have to find the special kids. You pass them up because you need something and HOPE it will work out.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have done it like this.

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville - has all the tools to be a really good QB. Arm, brain, speed - special player.

Aaron Murray, Georgia - lot of ?? on this guy. He's had great RBs and great defenses. Nothing special IMO.

Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M - sophomore,he's short and is bound to get smashed, but you have to like his aggressiveness. He doesn't have the arm Brees has and his attitude is concerning.

AJ McCarron, Alabama - if you have great RBs and a great defense, and want a game manager then this is your guy. But he's not polished in the throwing game and Sam is more accurate.

Tajh Boyd, Clemson - has all the tools to be a really good QB. Stronger than Bridgewater, but not as smart. Arm is good too. Watch him this saturday against Florida St. And watch Devonte Freeman - RB at FSU!

Zach Mettenberger, LSU - pocket passer with not alot of speed. I can see the Patriots drafting him and making him watch. He's got some good WRs and Rbs in Baton Rouge.

Braxton Miller, Ohio State - this kid can run, but is he accurate? and has he played a top defense yet? 2nd or 3rd round guy if you feel like it.

Marcus Mariota, Oregon - sophomore, but the best athlete at QB in the country. Oregon is pounding opponents at home or on the road. Think of a Cam Newton type Qb but smarter and more accurate. Also has some good weapons, but he's got RG3 speed and take it from anywhere. This would be my choice but I'm not sure he's coming out.

Derek Carr, Fresno State - has some impressive stats, but who has he played against? cupcakes.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the secret to drafting is not black and white. It's not need versus BPA. It's how special is this player and is he worth getting over another player we HOPE will pan out at a position we need.

It's also important to not reach on players, when that position is deep in the draft. It's very much a crapshoot, but if you have players that have good years, are injury free, and have played against really good competition... Then it's going to be good for your team.

Many more variables invloved, but that's all I have for now in OCT. Still early.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea SJ76. It remains to be seen if our reach players such as Pead and Quick really emerge. Quick is beginning to show some of the talent that this FO HOPED FOR in taking him in the second on a reach. Yesterday he had some nice catches but made a boneheaded play by thinking it was a run and getting hit in the back with the ball. Oopsy! With the emergence of Stacey, Pead may indeed be a bust.

Jones has been recoverying from a knee injury dating back to his college days and since we took him late, I am not sure why. Who selects players that are hurt and are absent this long? Some do and I suppose the FO rationalized that his late selection justifies taking him while he was hurt since they passed on really good players like Fluker and Long both because of the shenanigans to trade up to nab Austin.

BTW, did you see Long Monday night- a Mauler and a beast!! Also, the Jones pick is somewhat suspect because the undrafted kid from Utah has been retained and has proceeded ahead of Jones on the depth chart because he is practicing and an able body. I am not sure of the future of Jones other than to watch and learn his craft. Williams, Dahl, and Wells are going to be around forever and I think they are also getting Jones' strength up as well.

Our OLine is coming together nicely but we would be stupid to pass on a guy like Jake Matthews and we would really be stupid to whiff on Wadkins this coming draft. Another oddity that I am curious about is why we have not seen Bailey on the field yet? Strange stuff at this point.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's not polished in the throwing game and Sam is more accurate.

Did you just give Sammy a backhanded compliment??? :omg:

Just bustin your chops brother!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have done it like this.

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville - has all the tools to be a really good QB. Arm, brain, speed - special player.

Aaron Murray, Georgia - lot of ?? on this guy. He's had great RBs and great defenses. Nothing special IMO.

Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M - sophomore,he's short and is bound to get smashed, but you have to like his aggressiveness. He doesn't have the arm Brees has and his attitude is concerning.

AJ McCarron, Alabama - if you have great RBs and a great defense, and want a game manager then this is your guy. But he's not polished in the throwing game and Sam is more accurate.

Tajh Boyd, Clemson - has all the tools to be a really good QB. Stronger than Bridgewater, but not as smart. Arm is good too. Watch him this saturday against Florida St. And watch Devonte Freeman - RB at FSU!

Zach Mettenberger, LSU - pocket passer with not alot of speed. I can see the Patriots drafting him and making him watch. He's got some good WRs and Rbs in Baton Rouge.

Braxton Miller, Ohio State - this kid can run, but is he accurate? and has he played a top defense yet? 2nd or 3rd round guy if you feel like it.

Marcus Mariota, Oregon - sophomore, but the best athlete at QB in the country. Oregon is pounding opponents at home or on the road. Think of a Cam Newton type Qb but smarter and more accurate. Also has some good weapons, but he's got RG3 speed and take it from anywhere. This would be my choice but I'm not sure he's coming out.

Derek Carr, Fresno State - has some impressive stats, but who has he played against? cupcakes.
Hey Junkie, what about my boy over there at UCLA, Brett Hundley. I hear he may come out in the draft. I think he is your type of QB, no?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the secret to drafting is not black and white. It's not need versus BPA. It's how special is this player and is he worth getting over another player we HOPE will pan out at a position we need.

That's the exact reasoning the Rams FO gave when they moved up to draft Tavon Austin. You're really calling him a bad pick after 6 games?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea SJ76. It remains to be seen if our reach players such as Pead and Quick really emerge. Quick is beginning to show some of the talent that this FO HOPED FOR in taking him in the second on a reach. Yesterday he had some nice catches but made a boneheaded play by thinking it was a run and getting hit in the back with the ball. Oopsy! With the emergence of Stacey, Pead may indeed be a bust.

Jones has been recoverying from a knee injury dating back to his college days and since we took him late, I am not sure why. Who selects players that are hurt and are absent this long? Some do and I suppose the FO rationalized that his late selection justifies taking him while he was hurt since they passed on really good players like Fluker and Long both because of the shenanigans to trade up to nab Austin.

BTW, did you see Long Monday night- a Mauler and a beast!! Also, the Jones pick is somewhat suspect because the undrafted kid from Utah has been retained and has proceeded ahead of Jones on the depth chart because he is practicing and an able body. I am not sure of the future of Jones other than to watch and learn his craft. Williams, Dahl, and Wells are going to be around forever and I think they are also getting Jones' strength up as well.

Our OLine is coming together nicely but we would be stupid to pass on a guy like Jake Matthews and we would really be stupid to whiff on Wadkins this coming draft. Another oddity that I am curious about is why we have not seen Bailey on the field yet? Strange stuff at this point.
Besides the nice TD, I thought Quick had some good blocking down field too. If I recall right, he and Long sprung one for a big gainer with their down field blocking.

I agree on Matthews if we can get him, we probably wont be drafting that high however is Barrett Jones injured? Don't see him on the injury report all season but I do see him as listed as inactive. Wells is doing a pretty stout job this year anyhow with Barnes behind him. No rush IMO, let the Bama lineman be for now, I hear he is a very intelligent player. If we have a chance to get Matthews and put him at RT we just might make Zac Stacy a very happy young man!! and me too! :lol:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the exact reasoning the Rams FO gave when they moved up to draft Tavon Austin. You're really calling him a bad pick after 6 games?
:agree:And in those 6 games he has more catches than any other Rookie wide out too! Plus he has the big game potential in the punt returning category if special teams can find a way to get off the field w/o a penalty! We didn't get a big dose of punt return opportunities (2) vs the Texans.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes shopson I called Tavon a bad pick on draft day. Problem is our FO is trying to create the GSOT, when when we barely have a offense at all. We have to build an O-line first, then make sure we have a running game and yes get WR's. Did you notice how deep WRs were last year in the draft? Go look at where Keenan Allen, Ace Sanders, Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter went. They were not in the top 10.

Plus Tavon doesn't even play on 1st down. WHY? Because he cannot run block. You move up to draft a Julio Jones, not a slot guy Tavon Austin. We wasted a 2nd rounder on this guy, that we could have used elsewhere as well.

Did you not readmy earlier post?

KSU - Just the facts Jack! ; )

Vita - I love Hundley. But isn't he a freshman? Doubt he can come out. And Vita, just because Tavon has a bunch of catches compared to other rookies, doesn't mean he was a good pick (Top 10 2013). If the guy is not on the field all of the time on offense, to me that's a waste of a top pick AND again we gave up our 2nd rounder too. Either way, you don't draft a slot guy that high. Julio Jones? Yeah you move for. But Ace Sanders was there for JAX in the 4th round. He's a thicker Tavon and would have been just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita - I love Hundley. But isn't he a freshman? Doubt he can come out. And Vita, just because Tavon has a bunch of catches compared to other rookies, doesn't mean he was a good pick (Top 10 2013). If the guy is not on the field all of the time on offense, to me that's a waste of a top pick AND again we gave up our 2nd rounder too. Either way, you don't draft a slot guy that high. Julio Jones? Yeah you move for. But Ace Sanders was there for JAX in the 4th round. He's a thicker Tavon and would have been just fine.
Hundley is a Redshirt Sophomore. I hope he doesn't come out for one more year at least, kind of a deep class comparatively anyhow.

The problem for UCLA is he's a big strong option QB who uses his arm well, the NFL will love him.

You're right about Tavon, I was just pointing out a decent mark or milestone and he is still learning while playing on a young team. I think as we start to run the ball better and fix the penalty problem on ST punt receiving, we see his contributions increase. He and Cook both may thrive on deeper routes too from play action. Still 10 games to prove themselves.

Ahh seeing is believing I hope that pans out.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes shopson I called Tavon a bad pick on draft day. Problem is our FO is trying to create the GSOT, when when we barely have a offense at all. We have to build an O-line first, then make sure we have a running game and yes get WR's. Did you notice how deep WRs were last year in the draft? Go look at where Keenan Allen, Ace Sanders, Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter went. They were not in the top 10.

Plus Tavon doesn't even play on 1st down. WHY? Because he cannot run block. You move up to draft a Julio Jones, not a slot guy Tavon Austin. We wasted a 2nd rounder on this guy, that we could have used elsewhere as well.

Did you not readmy earlier post?

KSU - Just the facts Jack! ; )

And Vita, just because Tavon has a bunch of catches compared to other rookies, doesn't mean he was a good pick (Top 10 2013). If the guy is not on the field all of the time on offense, to me that's a waste of a top pick AND again we gave up our 2nd rounder too. Either way, you don't draft a slot guy that high. Julio Jones? Yeah you move for. But Ace Sanders was there for JAX in the 4th round. He's a thicker Tavon and would have been just fine.

I wouldn't say the Rams are trying for the GSOT2. They are trying to assemble what they see as special players, thus Tavon and Tree in the 1st round. Whether or not you move up to draft a "special player", even if essentially a slot receiver, is obviously a point of contention.

BTW, Ace Sanders is not only a thicker Tavon, but a slower Tavon (40 in the 4.50s). The cream will rise, given time.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ace Sanders doesn't have Tavon speed but he is still quick and elusive, along with having size. If you saw him in the Jax Rams game early, he showed it to you.

IMO opinion you don't trade up and give up your 2nd rounder for a slot guy. Julio yes. Tavon no.

IMO lol

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with SJ on this one.

When I saw the Rams had traded up in the draft, I knew it was to take Austin ( although I was hoping I was wrong ). I was yelling at my tv ( like anyone can hear :lol: ) saying it was a stupid pick and a guy not worth trading up for.

He is small, and so far, has not shown any elusiveness or speed on the field. His YAC is around 3 yards. He has not shown the ability to take a short screen pass and make something of it like he did in college. This is not something that needs to be learned at the NFL level like route running that takes most rookie WR's time to master.

His speed is not showing up on the field at all. He should be running by his cover guy on almost every play with his so called speed, but he is not. ( another reason why they need to run the 40 in full gear to get a true measurement of a players actual game speed- not what they run in shorts, shirts and track shoes ).

I never understood the reason to run these prospects in a track starting pose and essentially track gear. No one lines up on the field that way, so why run the 40 that way? Put them in gear and line them up the way their respective positions line up on the field and clock them. It will be way more accurate and would probably explain Austin's lack of explosiveness/speed because I can guarantee his 40 time would not have been that good and why others who run poor 40's ( Jerry Rice anyone? ) actually perform better on the field.

Eliminate Austin's "speed" and all he is is a small, short WR.

Also, because of their drafting in 2012 ( taking Quick and Pead instead of Jeffrey and David ), they felt they needed Tavon. Had they had Jeffrey on the team, there would be no need to trade up to take Austin saving them their 2nd round pick to be used on a S or RB or other position of need.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, anyone else besides SJ concerned they were willing to trade so much to move up 8 spots to take a small slot receiver but weren't willing to trade up 1 spot the previous year to ensure they got Blackmon?

I don't care if they thought he was going to "fall" to them. Everyone knew the Rams were going to take him if he was there, prompting those who wanted him to have to trade ahead of the Rams. Knowing that, the Rams should have been proactive instead of reactive as a result of the Jags trade up.

Instead, they decided to be proactive this year for the wrong WR. Oops!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, anyone else besides SJ concerned they were willing to trade so much to move up 8 spots to take a small slot receiver but weren't willing to trade up 1 spot the previous year to ensure they got Blackmon?

I don't care if they thought he was going to "fall" to them. Everyone knew the Rams were going to take him if he was there, prompting those who wanted him to have to trade ahead of the Rams. Knowing that, the Rams should have been proactive instead of reactive as a result of the Jags trade up.

Instead, they decided to be proactive this year for the wrong WR. Oops!
Its odd. The general perception that year is that we were in a spot to get Claiborne or Blackmon and that Claiborne was ahead of Blackmon and they were both considered elite. I get not trading up if you were taking Claiborne if the Jags reached on Blackmon but then to trade down :scratch:

Austin has to just play at NFL speed. He is trying to hit the big play every time....you only hit home runs in the NFL if someone messes up. You see this with return men all of the time. They think they can get a return TD every time they touch the ball and they fail to provide good field position. Get the field position, if you can make someone miss then you can take it to the house. Don't try to play chess while the other team is running full speed at you.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people thought we'd take Blackmon at #6 if Claiborne was taken at #5 but it wasn't cut and dried. A significant number of people thought that Floyd was as good a prospect, or better, but no-one projected Floyd as a top 8 pick. Given how Fisher and Snead fell in love with Quick, and allegedly AJ Jenkins as well, I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd passed. I find it difficult to believe that the Buccaneers didn't contact them and offer a cheap move up from #6 to #5. Clearly the Buccaneers underselling the #5 pick for #7 and change suggests the Buccaneers didn't want Blackmon or Claiborne. If Blackmon was way ahead of other prospects on the Rams board they would have jumped at that deal. For the record I wanted Claiborne at #6, (and I wouldn't have taken Blackmon even if he was available at #14). The trade down to #14 surprised me because I didn't realise how highly the Rams rated Jenkins and Johnson.
I didn't like the move for Austin. I saw him as another project who would take time to develop. That high in the Draft I want a 'sure thing' and he wasn't it. He isn't NFL ready at this point but at least they can put him on the field. Who knows, he might still become a top slot receiver in the future.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record I wanted Claiborne at #6, (and I wouldn't have taken Blackmon even if he was available at #14)
Yeah, that was my opinion as well. I remember making a top 35 prospects list on other board and I had ideal NFL comparisons and Blackmon didn't make my top 15 and Claiborne was top 6 or so. The Rams didnt actually draft anyone I had rated in my top 35 but on draft day I was pretty happy with our 2nd round picks and Brockers has a very bright future. Its honestly hard to armchair GM things, though, because we don't know everything that happens with a player or team.

With Tavon Austin its simple: if he plays fast and quick, he can be Steve Smith or Percy Harvin and if he doesn't play fast and is just quick then we spent a top 10 pick on Dexter McCluster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Austin will get there as will Quick and I agree with SJ76, FastForward, AngeLakeRam, and others who see Austin and Quick as projects and giving up way too much for them both. I too was screamig at the TV as to what teh Rams were doing and have maintained all along that we should have traded up to get a Long or Fluker, both who are having ROY type seasons. I watched Fluker last evening and nobody during that game got in from the right side because Fluker, who is playing RT was pancaking people ALL NIGHT LONG!!

Both Long and Fluker are not projects and have stepped right in and are playing super football. But because of this insane policy by Fisher of not taking OLineman in the first round, we whiffed on two very good lineman. I hope he does not do that this year with Matthews. It would be plain stupid to do that-AGAIN!!!!