• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles need to go balls out for Devin McCourty

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he and the Pats have this thing locked up, we need to make that guy a primo offer. He can cover, is young and is the type of player you sign to a free agent deal because he is still in his prime. With our extreme need at safety, they better at least try to sign this guy with a generous offer.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The franchise tag would have paid him $9.5 a year. Reports indicate top safeties have gotten $8 or $9 a year in recent years. So that gives you an estimate of what it might take to get him, say a 4 year, $34 million deal. A lot. But, quite possibly worth it.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong I'll be JUICED if we sign Devin McCourty, but there's 31 other teams in play. I'll be just fine with Marcus Gilchrist or Rahim Moore if we don't get the stud McCourty. We still need to get Byron Maxwell, Jason Worilds/Brooks Reed, and some others =)

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks Reed is a very interesting name. You know how we like those Texans...

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Reed is flying under the radar. I think he's a very sound and versatile player. He's a good fit in our scheme and the culture Chip is trying to build. He would fit in nicely here….with the rest of the Texans we've acquired. He won't break the bank either.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We signed Jenkins last year and gave him pretty decent money. Cant see them paying a FAsafety this year more money than that.

CB & G are pretty much locks.
A FA safety signed to less than Jenkinks? that I could see. A short term guy.

Thats about as far as we probably go in free agency...which would be awesome if we get say MAxwell, Iupati or Franklin & a decent S.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone here would be thrilled if we landed McCourty, but not at the price tag he's going to carry. If they didn't ake a serious play for Byrd last year, I doubt they make one for McCourty. Istill maintain that either Moore or Searcy from Buffalo are our two best options - Searcy fits the mold of what they want out of their safety play and would be a great fit IMO.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone here would be thrilled if we landed McCourty, but not at the price tag he's going to carry. If they didn't ake a serious play for Byrd last year, I doubt they make one for McCourty. Istill maintain that either Moore or Searcy from Buffalo are our two best options - Searcy fits the mold of what they want out of their safety play and would be a great fit IMO.

I wouldn't rule out McCourty because of the Byrd situation last year. If Chip see's a young talent entering his prime at a huge need position, AND he fits the mold of the new culture we're bringing in - then I can see us going after him. Perhaps Chip wasn't convinced Byrd was what he was looking for as far as character and leadership. Byrd had a rocky relationship with the Bills after threatening to hold out and demand more money. I don't know the full scoop, but Byrd might be a me-first type of guy.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCourty! McCourty!

How could you not try to get him? Nowhere else that you spend 7-10 million dollars is going to improve the team as much as getting a top safety in here.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCourty! McCourty!

How could you not try to get him? Nowhere else that you spend 7-10 million dollars is going to improve the team as much as getting a top safety in here.
Relax Tiger, He isn't available just yet, and I doubt it that he becomes available.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors this morning are that the Oakland Raiders will make offers to Suh and McCourty that will blow the doors off anyone else's. Considering they have approx. $55M in cap space they can go crazy. Adding McCourty and Suh would really upgrade a pretty good defense.

AND..............they'd still have plenty of cash to sign..........................Darrell Revis

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the way the process works is that teams still have one more week to try and negotiate deals with the players they did not tag before they become free agents. So the Pats will surely try to redo Revis's deal and re-sign McCourty, just like we surely will try to re-sign Maclin, etc.

I don't think McCourty would sign with Oakland, simply because he seems to want to win. I actually think he takes less money and stays in New England. But if he does go somewhere, it is going to be a team with a chance of contending.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors this morning are that the Oakland Raiders will make offers to Suh and McCourty that will blow the doors off anyone else's. Considering they have approx. $55M in cap space they can go crazy. Adding McCourty and Suh would really upgrade a pretty good defense.

AND..............they'd still have plenty of cash to sign..........................Darrell Revis

We can still try. Those rumors probably comes from the Agents anyway. The Raiders have tons of cash, so why not place a few calls and turn up the hype?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, however he still has a full week to bang out a contract with the Patriots before he actually is on the market.

He also already had 3 weeks to do it and didn't.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have plenty of cash and something Oakland doesn't have A winning team.