• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

EA to kill the Wii U ?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. It's a waste of development time they could spend on real consoles.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that and Nintendo is a pain in the ass.

I worked for ATVI Blizz for years back in the mid 2000's... 360 and PS3 were bad enough with the licensing fees and what not... but at least the publishers like EA and ATVI could print their own games. Nintendo forced us to use their plants and would burn the games themselves onto cartridges and import than back into the US. When DVD's came along.. we thought "great.. we can burn them now and stop wasting time and money with the bad format of cartridges..." but nope, they still wanted to control everything.

They had the power back then... now their business is hurting with kids playing the ipads, kindle fire, etc.. the video game industry is being thrown upside down.

I have three girls... 8,6, and 5. They use to play the Wii a lot Now, it is almost 100% ipad mini... and I can get 40 games for the price of 1 console game. Good bye Wii...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring that, the control scheme has to be massively different and games can't have close to the same feel. Making it for wii is essentially making 2 games.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that and Nintendo is a pain in the ass.

I worked for ATVI Blizz for years back in the mid 2000's... 360 and PS3 were bad enough with the licensing fees and what not... but at least the publishers like EA and ATVI could print their own games. Nintendo forced us to use their plants and would burn the games themselves onto cartridges and import than back into the US. When DVD's came along.. we thought "great.. we can burn them now and stop wasting time and money with the bad format of cartridges..." but nope, they still wanted to control everything.

They had the power back then... now their business is hurting with kids playing the ipads, kindle fire, etc.. the video game industry is being thrown upside down.

I have three girls... 8,6, and 5. They use to play the Wii a lot Now, it is almost 100% ipad mini... and I can get 40 games for the price of 1 console game. Good bye Wii...

Did you work with a mapper who goes by Der Kommissar?

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you work with a mapper who goes by Der Kommissar?

Not sure if that was a real question or a joke based on the name...

But no, I was a sales exec handling one of their largest retail customers and working out of a remote office where the customer was located.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring that, the control scheme has to be massively different and games can't have close to the same feel. Making it for wii is essentially making 2 games.
Not really, gamepad is basically an xbox360/ps3 controller with a touch screen minus analog triggers and the pro controller does not even have a touchscreen.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, how long has it been since people actually bought a nintendo console for 3rd party games? I doubt EA support will effect it at all.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, how long has it been since people actually bought a nintendo console for 3rd party games?
Well, thats Nintendo's fault because they are a smaller company that is actually trying to make money selling their systems while Sony and Microsoft generally lose money on the systems (certainly initially) just to make back the losses on the software. Nintendo's margins are too high and their tech is out of date. They haven't been a viable option ever since they screwed over Capcom with the Resident Evil Gamecube exclusivity way back in the day.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, thats Nintendo's fault because they are a smaller company that is actually trying to make money selling their systems while Sony and Microsoft generally lose money on the systems (certainly initially) just to make back the losses on the software. Nintendo's margins are too high and their tech is out of date. They haven't been a viable option ever since they screwed over Capcom with the Resident Evil Gamecube exclusivity way back in the day.
I agree.

My point is that EA not making games will not affect the Wii U's success. Anyone who wants to play Nintendo games (mario, zelda, pikmin ect.) will buy a Wii U.