• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down to business - goalies

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the upcoming season, it's pretty clear we need to make some type of decision goalie wise. I think most of us agree that while both Leighton and Boucher did superb during their stand-ins, neither one of them is somebody we can really count on to steal games. Thus, we have two options:

Trade for a good goalie, either a proven guy or a talented prospect. I think most of us favor this option.

Pros: An established netminder gives us a real chance to dominate teams defensively. Our 3rd pairing aside, our D did a great job this postseason of giving the goalies the support they needed.

Cons: Good goalies are rare, or we'd have one already. This rarity translates to price. We are going to have to pay dearly for one, and thanks to the Pronger deal, that payment is probably coming in the form of talent.

The second option is become the Washington Capitals of the Atlantic. Forget getting a solid netminder, just focus on the skaters.

Pros: We can focus our efforts on getting more scoring. Boucher+Leighton was good enough to make the finals this year. Any trade for a goalie involves a significant chance of them not being a significant upgrade, and we could use the resources we know we'll need for this to upgrade our super-awesome pairing of Parent and Kraijicek.

Cons: Any plan that involves the phrase "become the Washington Capitals" is necessarily a flawed plan. I don't know if we have enough offense to pull this off, too.

What do you guys think? Stand pat and stick it out, or roll the dice on a goalie? Don't forget, option number three is draft the best goalie left... at the end of the third round.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the upcoming season, it's pretty clear we need to make some type of decision goalie wise. I think most of us agree that while both Leighton and Boucher did superb during their stand-ins, neither one of them is somebody we can really count on to steal games. Thus, we have two options:

Trade for a good goalie, either a proven guy or a talented prospect. I think most of us favor this option.

Pros: An established netminder gives us a real chance to dominate teams defensively. Our 3rd pairing aside, our D did a great job this postseason of giving the goalies the support they needed.

Cons: Good goalies are rare, or we'd have one already. This rarity translates to price. We are going to have to pay dearly for one, and thanks to the Pronger deal, that payment is probably coming in the form of talent.

The second option is become the Washington Capitals of the Atlantic. Forget getting a solid netminder, just focus on the skaters.

Pros: We can focus our efforts on getting more scoring. Boucher+Leighton was good enough to make the finals this year. Any trade for a goalie involves a significant chance of them not being a significant upgrade, and we could use the resources we know we'll need for this to upgrade our super-awesome pairing of Parent and Kraijicek.

Cons: Any plan that involves the phrase "become the Washington Capitals" is necessarily a flawed plan. I don't know if we have enough offense to pull this off, too.

What do you guys think? Stand pat and stick it out, or roll the dice on a goalie? Don't forget, option number three is draft the best goalie left... at the end of the third round.

I was looking at the UFA's this morning and there are quite a few which should keep the price down. The article talked about Turco as the best option for the Flyers but did note that Homer was probably not of that belief.

Of those available, I liked Mason ($3.5) or Ellis ($2.5) which IMO would be an upgrade.That leaves either Boucher or Backlund as the backup for next year and some cap space to improve on defense. I would really like to see Hamhuis or Mitchell (if healthy) but we really don't need another top 4. We need a 4-5 defensive defenseman.

mrfreeze1179

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really think Ellis is the Flyers guy unless something happens...he could be easy to get without dropping any major parts. I also think Leighton will be back unless someone offers him a contract to start...but with the list of goalies out there I doubt it happens.
Everyone knows Leighton was on waivers for a reason. Jeff Hackett helped his game a ton...but he is still far away from being a strong season long starter.
Turco would be a dead last option...as i don't think anyone willmove on him and he maybe cheap near the start of pre-season.
Craziest option...pick up a cheap Turco and sign one of the LA Kings youngsters....use Turco until the Younger guy takes over as the franchise goalie.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Mason. I don't see what makes this hard to figure out. He is a free agent. Why trade Jeff Carter who isn't some washed up 45 year old when you could easily pick up Mason and Hamhuis? Not to mention we have room to give both of 'em a raise.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that they have the space for both Mason and Hamhuis. Not with Coburn still in need of a raise.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great post.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except the capitals only focus on offense and do not have a defense.

And that formula works very well for the first 82 games. Once you get into the playoffs, the teams with little to no defense get weeded out very quickly.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The assertion is less that the Capitals have a good defense, and more that their goalies suck.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me Ellis, give me Quick, for heavens sake if they pick Tomas I'm gonna be sick!! I just hope they make the right move, Nabby would be a upgrade but he's been a life long post-season choker and his age is becoming an issue...