• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2023)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meckler added today. He was our 8th rounder in the ‘22 draft. He is first from the Giants class to make it to the Bigs.

There have already been 3 players to debut from the ‘22 draft. Oddly enough, all 3 were drafted by the Angels.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meckler added today. He was our 8th rounder in the ‘22 draft. He is first from the Giants class to make it to the Bigs.

There have already been 3 players to debut from the ‘22 draft. Oddly enough, all 3 were drafted by the Angels.
If Brown can rebound, I hope he can get some time in AAA and possibly go to spring training as a legitimate outfield prospect. It would be interesting to see "later" picks from both 2021 and 2022 pushing for time in the outfield.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Matos' defense wasn't as good as we thought with SF. That is an area the Giants want him to work on. I get the feeling he may not be back on the big league roster this year, unless he shows significant improvement at Sacramento and injuries dictate a call up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Matos' defense wasn't as good as we thought with SF. That is an area the Giants want him to work on. I get the feeling he may not be back on the big league roster this year, unless he shows significant improvement at Sacramento and injuries dictate a call up.

He seemed like he was banana routing out there a bit. When he made that diving catch in one of his last games, he broke back on the ball initially, then came in, then dove too early and had to crawl forward to make the “diving” catch. It was highlight-worthy, no doubt, but it had a “Hunter Pence AB” feel to it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seemed like he was banana routing out there a bit. When he made that diving catch in one of his last games, he broke back on the ball initially, then came in, then dove too early and had to crawl forward to make the “diving” catch. It was highlight-worthy, no doubt, but it had a “Hunter Pence AB” feel to it.
I can understand why they sent him down if he was scuffling both with the bat and the glove. He can do better with both. Hope he comes back strong in 2024 (as well as Schmitt, Bailey, Luciano, etc). Yeesh, I hope at least a couple of the prospects stick long term! Bailey looks like the best bet at this point.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand why they sent him down if he was scuffling both with the bat and the glove. He can do better with both. Hope he comes back strong in 2024 (as well as Schmitt, Bailey, Luciano, etc). Yeesh, I hope at least a couple of the prospects stick long term! Bailey looks like the best bet at this point.
Matos and Luciano are still SUPER young. At this point, I have little concern over their ability. I am concerned about Luciano’s health, though.

Schmitt and Bailey are a few years older, so they have less room for error. Bailey appears to already be AT LEAST MLB level, so he CANT fail, because he has already succeeded. Schmitt has lost some luster in my eyes, but only because nothing shines as bright in the light of day as it does while in the dark. He is no longer Schrödingers Prospect.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matos and Luciano are still SUPER young. At this point, I have little concern over their ability. I am concerned about Luciano’s health, though.

Schmitt and Bailey are a few years older, so they have less room for error. Bailey appears to already be AT LEAST MLB level, so he CANT fail, because he has already succeeded. Schmitt has lost some luster in my eyes, but only because nothing shines as bright in the light of day as it does while in the dark. He is no longer Schrödingers Prospect.

I see what you did there, alt.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic example of an over-correction
I loved it when teams filled out the active roster with all 40 spots. However, I understood that playing time was hard to come by and the dugout and clubhouse was rather cramped. But I miss the career minor leaguers finally getting their cup of coffee (although that does still happen occasionally) and seeing guys audition for next season. I think it would be great if they moved the cap to 30 to 34 players.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved it when teams filled out the active roster with all 40 spots. However, I understood that playing time was hard to come by and the dugout and clubhouse was rather cramped. But I miss the career minor leaguers finally getting their cup of coffee (although that does still happen occasionally) and seeing guys audition for next season. I think it would be great if they moved the cap to 30 to 34 players.
I always liked the idea of expanding the travel roster to a full 40. But the active roster for any given game should be capped at 30 or something like that. Maybe have restrictions on who can be shuffled off the regular roster (no options, or MLB contracts, for example). Only expanding by 2 is almost pointless.

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked the idea of expanding the travel roster to a full 40. But the active roster for any given game should be capped at 30 or something like that. Maybe have restrictions on who can be shuffled off the regular roster (no options, or MLB contracts, for example). On,y expanding by 2 is almost pointless.
I forgot about your idea. I do like it. Manfred, if you are reading this, make it happen.

And, yes, 28 is dumb.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants traded Sean Newcomb to the As for Trenton Brooks…

A 28 yo 1B/corner OFer. He has put up OK numbers in AAA, so I wouldn’t be super surprised to see him get a shot in SF before the end of the season. If he does, it will be his cuppo.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A 28 yo 1B/corner OFer. He has put up OK numbers in AAA, so I wouldn’t be super surprised to see him get a shot in SF before the end of the season. If he does, it will be his cuppo.
I'm okay with this trade. Weird that they signed Tsutsugo just beforehand. He seems redundant and unnecessary even more so with this trade.

I'm a bit surprised that they traded Newcomb as he seemed to be on the cusp of a callup but the Giants are in a lot better place with the bullpen than they are with hitting. I expect the A's will add Newcomb to their 40 and 26 man rosters shortly.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We were supposed to get younger and more athletic. (sigh)