• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doumit

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I've hardly posted since becoming a member of this board, I'm putting my two-cents-worth in on Doumit. I'm one of those who like him as a hitter (evidently Hurdle does too since he's got him batting cleanup), but the guy is a disaster in the field. Some players with defensive deficencies improve over time, but not Doumit. He still makes the same bonehead plays over and over again. It seems he simply just doesn't have the head for playing smart baseball.

Nobody's wanted to see him succeed more than me (he's from the Seattle area, where I live), but I'm beginning to come around and agree with those who think it might be best to trade him or let him walk after this season. I still think he'd make a decent DH on the right AL team (Mariners?).

IMO Snyder is adequate for now and McKenry can be a solid backup. Is Sanchez going to be ready any time soon?

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reply to smokey

I'm inclined to agree with you on Doumit. But I'm fearful of having yet another black hole in the lineup.

- Snyder seemed to do OK with the bat while he was splitting time with Doumit behind the plate, but you never know how a guy is going to come back from back surgery.

- I think McKenry was a good pickup, and agree that he can be a solid backup, but he hasn't shown much with the bat. MAYBE he'll improve with experience, but I wouldn't count on it.

- My confidence in Tony Sanchez has been dropping steadily. I don't know whether it's the aftermath of being hit in the face..... or whether he's just not very good. At this point, he's a big unknown. I've read speculation that the Pirates will start him at AAA next season. I guess that's possible, but I think he should repeat AA until he dominates there (if that time ever comes). At any rate, i don't expect him to be ready in 2012.

Man..... wouldn't a Weiters or a Posey look good behind the plate for the Pirates? (Almost as good as Alvarez meeting expectations at 3B and in the lineup.)

Bottom line: Although I'd like the Pirates to keep Doumit until another good-hitting catcher comes along, the biggest problem I see is the stipulation in his contract that the Pirates need to exercise BOTH of his option years during the upcoming off-season, or they need to let him walk. His option years call for $7.25 mill in 2012 and $8.25 mill in 2013. Considering his injury history plus his lousy defense, I just don't see the team committing $15.5 mill to Doumit over the next couple of years.

Perhaps the most likely scenario is the one you mentioned: Let Doumit walk (or trade him), pick up Snyder's option for 2012 ($6.75 mill), keep McKenry as the back-up..... and HOPE we find another catcher (Sanchez?) by 2013.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doumit is still the best option, I wouldn't pick up both option years, but if he would be willing to sign a new deal it would be worth. McKenry is a backup, a good one, but still a backup.

Sanchez will most likely be at AAA next year, for the whole year, unless it is an emergency.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I personally have seen enough of Doumit in a Pirates uniform. I believe that the catching is a defense first position that any offensive production is only a bonus. Doumit has proven to be a below average defender with a little bit of offense, but not nearly enough to make up for his deficiencies. Then factor in the amount of time he spends on the dl.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really surprised Doumit has lasted this long. He and Maholm are the two longest tenured players on the roster, I believe, and I have felt for a long time that he would be a good trade candidate to the American league.

His DH ability would be a plus in most lineups, and he also could be used in a backup capacity for a starting catcher. But, what the hell do I know