• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers Sign Hector Olivera for 6 years, $62.5 Million

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hector Olivera, Dodgers reportedly agree to 6-year, $62.5 million contract - True Blue LA

I'm very interested in seeing how the annual payments work out. given the hefty, $28 million bonus.

Just a quick estimation, if the rest of the contract is spread evenly, it becomes $34.5 over 6 years to give an annual payroll obligation of $5.75 million. Obviously, there's a huge pill to swallow early on, but if they intend to duck under the threshold for the luxury tax in the coming years, this makes that possible.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hector Olivera, Dodgers reportedly agree to 6-year, $62.5 million contract - True Blue LA

I'm very interested in seeing how the annual payments work out. given the hefty, $28 million bonus.

Just a quick estimation, if the rest of the contract is spread evenly, it becomes $34.5 over 6 years to give an annual payroll obligation of $5.75 million. Obviously, there's a huge pill to swallow early on, but if they intend to duck under the threshold for the luxury tax in the coming years, this makes that possible.
He has a UCL tear and surgery on it voids the contract. Should be interesting....

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a UCL tear and surgery on it voids the contract. Should be interesting....

I don't think so.

Olivera reportedly has a slight UCL tear in his right elbow, and the deal provides protection for the team in the event that it proves problematic. Los Angeles would pick up an option for a seventh season at the price of just $1MM in the event that Olivera needs Tommy John surgery at some point during the six guaranteed seasons. That type of clause is, of course, most associated with pitcher John Lackey, whose free agent deal with the Red Sox included a similar provision that ultimately gave the team a valuable additional season of control.
MLBTR

All they get out of the deal is a cheap 7th season. It's not like TJ surgery is going to effect the Dodgers plan for him this season anyways. His signing is more for years beyond 2015 when Rollins & Uribe are gone. Maybe Kendrick too. Other than Seager, the middle IF in the upper levels of the organization have not panned out.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All they get out of the deal is a cheap 7th season. It's not like TJ surgery is going to effect the Dodgers plan for him this season anyways. His signing is more for years beyond 2015 when Rollins & Uribe are gone. Maybe Kendrick too. Other than Seager, the middle IF in the upper levels of the organization have not panned out.
Adding to that is the fact that it's his non-throwing arm.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter which arm it is, TJ will be required & he will be out for the better part of ayear.
Which is not a problem for the Dodgers. Non-pitchers recover from TJ a lot sooner. Also, the fact that it's his non-throwing arm DOES matter, and the slight tear might not actually require the surgery. They haven't decided yet.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing, the 3B market is awful next year. The money is a non factor.

Who said he needed TJ yet, anyways?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said he needed TJ yet, anyways?
Nobody of repute. But everyone seems to be assuming he's guaranteed to need it due to the partially torn UCL in his non-throwing arm. He could very well need it, but nothing has been decided and he's not even in the US yet, so this is all keyboard speculation.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with MVPuig, I like the signing as Uribe will be 400 pounds by 2016 and the market is thin.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Uribe obese again? He's always overweight but I think we all remember when he was obese a couple years ago with a batting average close to the mendoza line.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Uribe obese again? He's always overweight but I think we all remember when he was obese a couple years ago with a batting average close to the mendoza line.

Well, he's 36 (37 in 2016) and constantly pulling a hammy or something. He's listed at 6 foot, 235. I'd say he's a few more Ho Ho's from a role/bench player. Weight + Father Time + Ho Ho's = waning prime.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he's 36 (37 in 2016) and constantly pulling a hammy or something. He's listed at 6 foot, 235. I'd say he's a few more Ho Ho's from a role/bench player. Weight + Father Time + Ho Ho's = waning prime.

That's a fair prediction, Uribe tends to coast when he's comfortable. I would actually like to see him traded while he still has a bit of value since we have so many viable infielders. 3rd base is a position of need for a lot of teams in the league.

Going to get off topic here but if anyone is interested in joining a fantasy baseball league on CBS, let me know. LALakersboy, LAsportzphan, even Villain (lol, welcome back by the way) are welcome. Let me know if you're interested, we need a couple more peeps.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fat to you guys?

JUAN1_o44h4au7_mzqnnxag.jpg

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOT DONUTS?!?!?!?!

021514js043.jpg

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you expecting a picture of him in the clubhouse in 2015? The team is still in Arizona...

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you expecting a picture of him in the clubhouse in 2015? The team is still in Arizona...

Yeah, you're right. Guess they wouldn't bother taking many pictures in ST. I've watched a couple innings here and there, Guerrero is looking really good right now.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Uribe is fat, he's actually fairly agile for his body size. He might be ok for 1 more season, we'll see how it goes.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a fair prediction, Uribe tends to coast when he's comfortable. I would actually like to see him traded while he still has a bit of value since we have so many viable infielders. 3rd base is a position of need for a lot of teams in the league.

Going to get off topic here but if anyone is interested in joining a fantasy baseball league on CBS, let me know. LALakersboy, LAsportzphan, even Villain (lol, welcome back by the way) are welcome. Let me know if you're interested, we need a couple more peeps.
I'd be interested, private message me the info!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Uribe is fat, he's actually fairly agile for his body size. He might be ok for 1 more season, we'll see how it goes.
His glove is excellent (makes up for some awful stretches at the plate with horrid discipline) and totally agree that he is surprisingly agile for his build. But he's on borrowed time with the nick nack injuries. I agree with the previous post, trade him a year too early than a year too late if we have the depth.