• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Patriots run a pick play every passing play?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having not watched just a ton of Patriots games this year, I definitely noticed they ran a ton of them against the Cowboys. Is this a normal thing or do they just do it when they know the defense is in man?

Also, how many penalties do they get for this per game? I think they had at least 2 yesterday...I'd imagine that's pretty par for the course for them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having not watched just a ton of Patriots games this year, I definitely noticed they ran a ton of them against the Cowboys. Is this a normal thing or do they just do it when they know the defense is in man?

Also, how many penalties do they get for this per game? I think they had at least 2 yesterday...I'd imagine that's pretty par for the course for them.

The pick play (rub play) is a staple for NE, but every team uses it in some form or another...one of those flags vs DAL imo was not a penalty. If you're the picking (blocking) player you are allowed to run an interference route and make the defender run into you...one of them he did it perfectly, (did not extend his arms to block) but it was still called.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots do nothing wrong, ever.

Why don't you fools realize this by now?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots do nothing wrong, ever.

Why don't you fools realize this by now?
No, no, no, no, no. Your team cheated by doing ___ so stop being a hypocrite and say 5 hail Bradys to atone for your sins.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots have been running legal pic plays for years. When LaFell got to NE, he was going "over the line" and getting called. With good coaching, he learned how to keep the plays legal. "The play" in the SB was a pick play. What better team to defend it than one who uses it?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. But most teams frequently run pick plays. The Patriots just happen to do it better than anyone else.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots are masters at pushing the envelope, knowing the NFL is a league of dopes.

They are good at running those picks though, give them credit. There is a way to do it without getting penalized and they are good at not going too far.

Remy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They run it so much that even their D knows when the opponent is about to do it. See ending to Superbowl XLIX.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The do run them a ton. The majority of their offense is 5 yard passes so when you run those quick in's, out's and slants, somebody will be impeded by a pick and hence wide open for some serious YAC.

Does BB push the envelope with it? Of course, but it obviously works so why not? That is one example of why BB is the best coach in the league.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just being called more by the officials (for every team)

But yes the Patriots do like those types of plays

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it's not always an illegal play

On one play Amendola actually threw his hands up in the air to show the ref he wasn't pushing off.

It wasn't called.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams utilize the pick to an extent, but the Patriots have built their offense around it.

It's like they're conceding their shifty but slow albino smurfs at WR cannot get open consistently without exploiting holes in the rules.

Many will attribute it to the "genius of Belichick," but I find it kind of lame.

The league needs to start allowing defenders to get physical with receivers again.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams utilize the pick to an extent, but the Patriots have built their offense around it.

It's like they're conceding their shifty but slow albino smurfs at WR cannot get open consistently without exploiting holes in the rules.

Many will attribute it to the "genius of Belichick," but I find it kind of lame.

The league needs to start allowing defenders to get physical with receivers again.

tumblr_m9ypn9d13g1qhykg5.gif

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you think Brady completes those 3-5 yard passes and has a team in the top 5 on offense with wr's getting YAC?

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it's not always an illegal play

On one play Amendola actually threw his hands up in the air to show the ref he wasn't pushing off.

It wasn't called.

Hands were up because he felt he was guilty. Oh my bad that was Hernandez.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Many will attribute it to the "genius of Belichick," but I am kind of lame.

That would be "world champion albino smurfs" to you son. Welcome to SportsHoopla.....

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very tough play for the refs. I definitely think the Pats abuse it more than most teams, but they have been called on it too this year. You certainly don't want the refs calling a penalty every time every team does this. It's bad enough already how we have to wait after every pass play to see if a ref is going to throw a late PI flag.

Note: I'm not saying in any way whatsoever that is why the Pats won this week.