• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Bonds Ruin baseball

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, I watched the 30 for 30 last night about Sosa and McGwire...

And it made me think, about why baseball is a dying sport...

I came to the conclusion, that we all applauded the steroid era until Bonds... and once we looked down on the steroid era, then baseball was dead...

The steroid era evolved baseball into the Home-run strike out game, it also showed how cheating in baseball was rampant...

so, would we have cared as much if Bonds didn't do it??

Conclusion- Bonds Broke baseball...

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Bonds Ruin baseball

No, Marvin Miller did.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, if anything he helped save baseball. If baseball is ever gonna be relevant again after this mess, they’re gonna need another Bonds

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, I watched the 30 for 30 last night about Sosa and McGwire...

And it made me think, about why baseball is a dying sport...

I came to the conclusion, that we all applauded the steroid era until Bonds... and once we looked down on the steroid era, then baseball was dead...

The steroid era evolved baseball into the Home-run strike out game, it also showed how cheating in baseball was rampant...

so, would we have cared as much if Bonds didn't do it??

Conclusion- Bonds Broke baseball...
Bonds was merely an exclamation point on a rampant period of cheating. Before Bonds, Sosa and McGwire were in a who-can-be-a-bigger-cheater contest. People were found out after Bonds too- Ryan Braun and the biggest cheater of all, Alex Rodriguez. And then there are the vast numbers of players who went undetected, such as almost the whole of the Baltimore Orioles and Oakland A's.

Bonds is only interesting because he was a great player before he swelled up like a balloon in a sadly obvious attempt to set a record.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds was merely an exclamation point on a rampant period of cheating. Before Bonds, Sosa and McGwire were in a who-can-be-a-bigger-cheater contest. People were found out after Bonds too- Ryan Braun and the biggest cheater of all, Alex Rodriguez. And then there are the vast numbers of players who went undetected, such as almost the whole of the Baltimore Orioles and Oakland A's.

Bonds is only interesting because he was a great player before he swelled up like a balloon in a sadly obvious attempt to set a record.

Again, the sosa vs McGwire was applauded... Steroids were not seen to be bad until Bonds was on his way to breaking the record 3 years later... and then Bonds had 4 of the best seasons of all time in his late 30s... he was reason the witch hunt even started...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, if anything he helped save baseball. If baseball is ever gonna be relevant again after this mess, they’re gonna need another Bonds

how so??

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the sosa vs McGwire was applauded... Steroids were not seen to be bad until Bonds was on his way to breaking the record 3 years later... and then Bonds had 4 of the best seasons of all time in his late 30s... he was reason the witch hunt even started...
Fans were in denial with Sammy and Mac...Mac was always pretty big and Sammy was young and it wasn't so crazy to think he got so big just from lifting hard and filling out. Things were just too obvious with Bonds. They were all scumbags, but I blame Sosa and Mac more because Bonds started juicing because he was jealous of all the attention they were getting.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans were in denial with Sammy and Mac...Mac was always pretty big and Sammy was young and it wasn't so crazy to think he got so big just from lifting hard and filling out. Things were just too obvious with Bonds. They were all scumbags, but I blame Sosa and Mac more because Bonds started juicing because he was jealous of all the attention they were getting.

but Sosa/McGwire saved baseball from the original strike... Bonds was the villain that created the need to END the steroid era... and it was the witch hunt that Killed baseball... Without bonds, I don't think there would have been a witch hunt...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking back on it they were the start of "ruining" baseball...nobody realized it at the time

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back on it they were the start of "ruining" baseball...nobody realized it at the time

But how can Sosa and McGwire have ruined baseball when they saved it from the 94 strike... They were the ones that brought the fans back...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I know it is not fair to put all the blame on Bonds... But I do think if bonds never took, we would have a very different perspective of the steroid era...

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't widely known what was going on. Sosa / McGwire was applauded at the time, because it was seen as an effective way to get casual fans excited about the game again, following the 1994-95 strike. A few eyebrows were raised at the time, mostly among analysts who noted that suddenly these two past-prime players were seeing an unheralded 25% power spike.

It wasn't until a couple of years later, when it was noted a large segment across MLB appeared to be cheating, did the fans start to care. Bonds's record-setting year came 3 years after Sosa and McGwire competed that one summer, but he was far from the only steroid cheater, even if he was the most egregious. It was mostly about timing, that Bonds decided he had to fraudulently obtain his record, and that fans were finding out how widespread the problem was. So I guess I'd prefer to say that Bonds became the poster-child for the steroid era in MLB, though it could just as easily have been Roger Clemens or Miguel Tejada.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't widely known what was going on. Sosa / McGwire was applauded at the time, because it was seen as an effective way to get casual fans excited about the game again, following the 1994-95 strike. A few eyebrows were raised at the time, mostly among analysts who noted that suddenly these two past-prime players were seeing an unheralded 25% power spike.

It wasn't until a couple of years later, when it was noted a large segment across MLB appeared to be cheating, did the fans start to care. Bonds's record-setting year came 3 years after Sosa and McGwire competed that one summer, but he was far from the only steroid cheater, even if he was the most egregious. It was mostly about timing, that Bonds decided he had to fraudulently obtain his record, and that fans were finding out how widespread the problem was. So I guess I'd prefer to say that Bonds became the poster-child for the steroid era in MLB, though it could just as easily have been Roger Clemens or Miguel Tejada.

from your post it sounds like you agree with me that Bonds ruined baseball... But I know that you disagree... makes me very confused...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I think Clemens, who is the second poster boy, was not as clear career wise that he did steroids...

you can easily say that he pitched well in Houston because it was the NL and Houston, a dryer and warmer place than Toronto, Boston and NY... the three places he played...

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from your post it sounds like you agree with me that Bonds ruined baseball... But I know that you disagree... makes me very confused...
They all ruined baseball. Doesn't matter if it's Bonds or A-Rod, Manny Ramirez, the Giambi bros., or Brady Anderson. They did it, they justified it, they protected their dealers and fellow cheating players. They should all go to a special version of Hell, where they perpetually have to play at Veteran Stadium and get pelted by spit and batteries.

I do have hope for the future though. Sign stealing can probably be stamped out.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all ruined baseball. Doesn't matter if it's Bonds or A-Rod, Manny Ramirez, the Giambi bros., or Brady Anderson. They did it, they justified it, they protected their dealers and fellow cheating players. They should all go to a special version of Hell, where they perpetually have to play at Veteran Stadium and get pelted by spit and batteries.

I do have hope for the future though. Sign stealing can probably be stamped out.

I guess that's where I disagree... Because Steroids first saved baseball... so it cant kill it... something had to change.. from the time it was saved and to the point that we are claiming that killed it...

Bonds was a villain who clearly was taking something, and broke a record way too soon after it was broken... Made people uncomfortable... Even during the record breaking season, they were trying to take down Bonds with the steroids accusations... Sure, they did the same to McGwire, but for big mac, it was a brush off, and the fans came back to root for him...

Nobody outside of SF was ever rooting for bonds... Bonds breaking the record, showed people how Steroids was cheating... and showed how out of hand the steroids issue was...

and then after that season, bonds next 3 seasons were of the best seasons of all time... not just by bonds... that doesn't just happen to a guy going into his 40s...

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac was always big, Bonds was not.