• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dick move by USC...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think USC has every right to protect their investment in a guy from making a lateral move. But I agree that it's a dick move to hinder his career growth. Just like with the NFL if you're a coordinator you have to get permission from your team to interview for other coordinator spots. And no team is likely to give that permission. But if you're a coordinator and they want to interview you for a head coaching spot, that is a clear step up, and the team can't deny permission.

I don't know how I would feel about him going from OC at a major blue blood college to an OC at an NFL level. It is a step up, but I don't know if it's necessarily a clear step above. But if somebody wants to hire him or even interview him as a NFL Head Coach like the article seems to claim i think that's pretty dickish.

I am not sure you know what “investment” means. They have given him nothing monetarily and very little time invested

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that a dick move? Seems to me signing a contract and then shopping around for a different job a month later would be the slimy move here...

BOOM.

He should coach at USC next season and then field those NFL offers next offseason......seemed like he jumped the gun signing with USC......

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure you know what “investment” means. They have given him nothing monetarily and very little time invested

They already invested whatever time it took to interview him, plus the opportunity cost of not interviewing other people who may have already taken other jobs. The NFL teams that have apparently asked to interview him may not make an offer today either, it could be a week or a month down the road that he was given an offer. By then they would be much more invested monetarily and planning for the future wise. And in a industry that gets their players for free, based in some unquantifiable part on public perception of the university; they are "invested" in not being made to look worse if a coach leaves within a month.

But you're right, protecting their investment probably wasn't the exact phrase I was looking for.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming this is true...

I think it's a dick move (or at least bad optics) all the way around.

It's a dick move by NFL teams to be trying to hire away a guy before the ink is even dry on the contract he just signed.

It's a dick move by Kingsbury to be considering interviews before the ink is dry on the contract he just signed.

And it's a dick move (or at least bad optics) for USC to deny permission for him to be interviewed.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming this is true...

I think it's a dick move (or at least bad optics) all the way around.

It's a dick move by NFL teams to be trying to hire away a guy before the ink is even dry on the contract he just signed.

It's a dick move by Kingsbury to be considering interviews before the ink is dry on the contract he just signed.

And it's a dick move (or at least bad optics) for USC to deny permission for him to be interviewed.
Shouldn’t NFL teams be trying to get the position person for the job? Wouldn’t it be more of a dick move to their fans to intentionally limit their search based on some ridiculous “just hired” thing and deprive their fans of what could be a good coach? How is this any different than what Miami and Diaz did?

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
c480x270_76.jpg

Sabansjoylessmurderball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a damn shame that South Carolna is forced to pull this bullshit to keep coaches.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kliff Klingsbury is a straight up piece of shit. He's egotistical, a sorry head coach and worst of all he's a hypocrite. He did his dead level best to stop Baker Mayfield from improving his playing career and now he's pulling this stunt at USC? I'm shocked, I tell you....I'm shocked! But USC is a blue blood and should just fire the guy and be done with him. They can weather this better than Klingsbury can. And no one would blame USC for making it clear that when you commit to Southern Cal it's supposed to mean something. USC can make this a positive and stick a sword in Klingbusy's reputation at the same time. Do it, Trojans. Klingsbury would inevitably get fired someday in the pro's and you would have the last laugh, especially if a different OC was successful in getting your program back to where it belongs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn’t NFL teams be trying to get the position person for the job? Wouldn’t it be more of a dick move to their fans to intentionally limit their search based on some ridiculous “just hired” thing and deprive their fans of what could be a good coach? How is this any different than what Miami and Diaz did?

It's about having some integrity.

Many years ago, John Wooden had interviewed with both Minnesota and UCLA. He was really wanted the Minnesota job over UCLA. However, if I recall the story correctly, there was some sort of weather related issue that prevented Minnesota from contacting him right away.

Because of that, UCLA got through to him first and he accepted the job.

When Minnesota finally reached him and offered him the job, he said: "I'm sorry, but I already accepted the UCLA job". Minnesota said he could simply tell them he's changed his mind (he hadn't signed a contract yet). He simply said "I gave them my word".

Of course the NFL teams and Miami don't owe USC or Temple anything. But Kingsbury has a signed contract with USC and I assume Diaz had one with Temple. Neither should have been looking at other jobs when they had just signed contracts.

Also, NFL teams and Miami should respect the fact that there were signed contracts. As with Coach Wooden, sometimes the timing just isn't right.

Sabansjoylessmurderball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about having some integrity.

Many years ago, John Wooden had interviewed with both Minnesota and UCLA. He was really wanted the Minnesota job over UCLA. However, if I recall the story correctly, there was some sort of weather related issue that prevented Minnesota from contacting him right away.

Because of that, UCLA got through to him first and he accepted the job.

When Minnesota finally reached him and offered him the job, he said: "I'm sorry, but I already accepted the UCLA job". Minnesota said he could simply tell them he's changed his mind (he hadn't signed a contract yet). He simply said "I gave them my word".

Of course the NFL teams and Miami don't owe USC or Temple anything. But Kingsbury has a signed contract with USC and I assume Diaz had one with Temple. Neither should have been looking at other jobs when they had just signed contracts.

Also, NFL teams and Miami should respect the fact that there were signed contracts. As with Coach Wooden, sometimes the timing just isn't right.

Just out of curiosity, how many years into a job allow you to keep your integrity even though you leave for a better job with years remaining on your contract?

Sabansjoylessmurderball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. How about at least 1 fucking practice? lol

So your idea of integrity has conditions, it changes depending on how you’re feeling at the moment? That’s otherwise known as you being a giant hypocritical asshole.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your idea of integrity has conditions, it changes depending on how you’re feeling at the moment? That’s otherwise known as you being a giant hypocritical asshole.

Yeah, that's what I said. :L

Otherwise known as you being a giant dumbass.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KK is already tired of everyone approaching him with “I LOVED you in La La Land!”

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it but good look hiring assistants in the future

Sabansjoylessmurderball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's what I said. :L

Otherwise known as you being a giant dumbass.

Recap- You said he has no integrity if he leaves for another job while having time left on a signed contract. You were asked when a coach can leave with integrity while having time left on a contract, and you responded with an arbitrary timeline of your own creation that makes you feel better at the moment. If you weren’t a hypocrite, your answer would have been “If it’s wrong to leave now, it’s wrong to leave in the future with years left on a contract”. Thanks for clearing that up.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recap- You said he has no integrity

No I didn't. I said it's about integrity and honoring what you signed. I didn't say Kingsbury didn't have any integrity. I don't even know how much of the report is true. That's why in my initial post on this thread I said "assuming this is true". In that post, I said all 3 were dick moves, including USC blocking him from interviewing.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. How about at least 1 fucking practice? lol
So he should have waited until after all of the other viable coaching options had been snatched up, before leaving and leaving USC in a worse spot than they would be if KK left now, would be much better?