• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Diamondbacks Sign Yasmany Tomas

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks Sign Yasmany Tomas

The Diamondbacks have reached agreement on a six-year, $68.5MM deal with Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas, reports MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez. The deal includes an opt-out that can be triggered after four seasons, and is pending physical, per Sanchez.

You guys wanted them to spend money, now they have. I like this better than signing a FA like Cruz or others who cost a draft pick. But this does create a log jam & likely means that Trumbo will be gone. I wonder if they might platoon Tomas at 3B with Lamb? With the opt out after 4 years, it may be likely that the contract is back loaded.

I can't wait to see more details on the contract how this will impact future moves.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely love it. Now trade Trumbo for a SP please...

Pollock, Tomas, Ender and Peralta along with Ross can man the OF just fine.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can package Ross with Trumbo & cash.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this signing but I keep hearing comparisons to yoenis cespedes. That is not a very high ceiling. We can't afford another high swing/miss ratio even though trumbo is likely gone.

That power though! Cream...

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always forget about Ross...:L

He is just laughing at the diamondbacks for his signing!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know enough about Tomas to make an early judgment. Concern is he Ks a ton and we can't have too many guys in the lineup that do that (been there, done that).

But whether or not it's a smart move aside...I LOVE IT. The fact that they went out and got a coveted guy like this is impressive. This wasn't a Kevin Towers Pretend to be serious about Tanaka and make an offer you know will fail type of thing.

It gets people talking about the Dbacks (outside of punchlines) and should get some of the many fans that checked out on caring about them a while ago interested again.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know enough about Tomas to make an early judgment. Concern is he Ks a ton and we can't have too many guys in the lineup that do that (been there, done that).

But whether or not it's a smart move aside...I LOVE IT. The fact that they went out and got a coveted guy like this is impressive. This wasn't a Kevin Towers Pretend to be serious about Tanaka and make an offer you know will fail type of thing.

It gets people talking about the Dbacks (outside of punchlines) and should get some of the many fans that checked out on caring about them a while ago interested again.

Well said. We had always been "close" or "in the running" for big names during the KT era. Nice to see Stewart stay under the radar and not talk about getting it done, but actually seal the deal.

Multiple scouts have said they love the deal and expected him to fetch 80-100 mil. over 6 years, so this seems to be a bargain. And it's not fair to compare the contracts Puig and Cespedes got because at that point in time Cuban players were no sure thing, not that they are now, but thanks to the success of those two and Abreu, Chapman, etc. it's going to give a lot more leverage to the next wave of Cuban defects.

His upside is tremendous and he could hit 25 homers as soon as next season with the kind of pop he's got. I just hope he can hit at least .260+ otherwise it's almost like having another Trumbo.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we can land a pitcher from Miami for Trumbo. They have some good young arms... Eovaldi or Heaney for Trumbo would make sense with other smaller pieces involved.

BACKSfromAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 956.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and should get some of the many fans that checked out on caring about them a while ago interested again.

I like that statement above..

I never checked out or quit caring, but this signing got me excited for this coming season.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomas will receive a $14MM signing bonus, salaries of $2MM, $4MM, $6MM and $10MM, and a one-time player option for $15.5MM for 2019 and $17MM in 2020.

This is genius. We're basically getting him for 22 million the first 4 years... doesn't hurt our payroll much at all the next few years. If we deal most of Miggy's salary we're in a great position to land a big name free agent pitcher.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing what the White Sox gave up to land Samardzija I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't go after him. Probably could've gotten him for Didi + a low level pitching prospect.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Tomas can provide legit thunder in the middle of our lineup.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Trumbo is moving to RF. Tomas will see time at both 3B & LF to maximize his bat & give Lamb AB(s) at 3B. Looks like we could see Peralta in LF versus RHP & Tomas in LF with Lamb at 3B versus LHP.

At least that's what I heard the plan is coming out of early spring training.