• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DH coming in 2017?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The commish has said it's so, Jose.
What this means to the Reds is pretty easy to see at the moment.
For example, if the Reds could have used the DH, would they have traded Yonder Alonso?
Will they now be able to move somebody to first base to let Votto be the DH?
Does Votto want to be a DH?
Does Mesoraco?
Lineups structure different in the AL, where they are less reliant on that slop-innings relievers.
Any thoughts on the current Reds roster and how it might look with the DH instead of hitting pitchers?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't name 8 Reds that can hit ......now you want me to come up with another one. :noidea:

I know the Commish is sold on the DH, but I think it'll be a few more years before we see it in both leagues. Personally, I hope it never happens, but change does seem inevitable.

I think adding the DH to the NL would change the way some teams approach the draft. The Reds have been a pitching and athletic player minded group the past 8-10 drafts when they acquire players. The Yonder Alonso and Yas Grandal type top draft picks have been more the exception than the rule since Castellini bought the club and they didn't hang onto them very long. They like the more athletic types like Drew Stubbs and Phil Ervin even though they were always suspect when it came to the hit tool. One would think the DH and the lack of prospects that hit for average would force the Reds to reevaluate the way they prioritize a players tools with more emphasis on the hit tool.

I think the Cardinals are a example of a organization that prioritizes the hit tool over the other tools. The Reds typically bypass the Matt Adams type guys, the Cards coach'em up and plug'em in.

Last edited:

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what I hit to change the font....fat fingers and small button syndrome I guess.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you in favor of the DH John?

I've never been much of a change for the sake of change type. If it were up to me the Reds would be clean shaved, black cleated, and playing the MLB "Opener" every year. Nothing is sacred in baseball if there's a buck to be made.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the DH has hurt baseball as much as the people who oppose it suggest.
I watch it in the indy leagues and it seems to work well with teams with limited rosters, so it's nice for the minor leagues.
It should be universal. Either you have it or you don't since interleague play is obviously not going away.

As far as other traditions, the Reds having the opener didn't hurt baseball. I think it's time we reigned in the beards and ponytails, however. But that's a personal point of view. Cueto's dreadlocks just didn't work for me, regardless of the cultural component of it. And the full beard is just ugly and dirty-looking.

But back to the DH ... if the NL had the DH, how would the Reds have approached the Frazier-Chapman trades? Or the Cueto trade? Clearly, the team has to rebuild its bullpen but if you have the DH, you can maybe skip one guy in the pen since the starter (well, in theory) should get you another inning. How-ev-er, in the case of the Reds, the offense is so shabby that it probably doesn't matter.

But for chat's sake, let's say the Reds have the DH ... do they keep Frazier and give a DH to Suarez?

I will say that if the NL is going to the DH, they need to decide now in preparation for 2017. Building a roster needs to be thought out, even if it is Walt and Dick.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds would have had to evaluate other players they traded differently if the DH was in place at the time. Edwin Encarnacion, Alonso, and Grandal would have been easier fits if they only wore batting gloves. The talent pool might be different in the present if the DH had been added a few years back, but with the current status of the organization I don't think adding the DH in 2017 would have been a major factor in the current thought process we're seeing.

The Williams owned the Reds from 1981-84 and we all know what good times those were. So putting the Grandson in charge and getting "Dick" -ed by the Williams again doesn't sound like good times either.

Last edited:

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree it should be universal. I don't think it hurts the game, I just like the NL version better. It's all personal preference I suppose.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the DH lets a team get a little older without sacrificing a lot of team control contracts. A guy like Ryan Howard can still hit righthanders pretty well and would be an OK fit in GABP, He's sort of expensive for an old guy but in a year, if he still can muster a pushup, could get somebody a 1-year hookup.
But if a team is looking for a less traditional DH, maybe going for speed and OBP instead of the long ball, the choices are probably not as good.
Either way, the bat-only DH is not a good idea, IMO ... mainly because of the matchups that the new metrics has provided. A player has to be able to at least carry a glove onto the grass. The deal still is, though, putting a roster together knowing the pitching staff will face a different kind of challenge, there is evidence on how to do that. I am always wary that the Reds will do it wrong.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the DH. I also think it's use hasn't drastically increases fan interest. I don't think they gained new fans that wouldn't have watched anyway, or kept fans that would have not bought baseball otherwise, in other words.

What baseball lost is the priority of fundamentals, and being as complete a player, subsequently a team, as possible. It's taken some managing away from managers, increased ERA's (even though 1 worse defender isn't on the field), and inflated payrolls.

They gained 1 more run a game. You can't even argue pace of play as a positive, it just isn't so. DH's get one more hit a game, foul off hundreds more balls a season , strike out only about 1 less time a game, and walk more than pitchers. Even AL managers use "specialty" pitchers in 3-4 innings every game, so it doesn't reduce substitution time, it does reduce pinch hitters. Replay challenges take more time per game than the DH saves.

I think maybe the DH was more viable in the days if PED's...although if all hitters were hitting more HR, they might not have missed a DH much ?

IMO, the DH aids higher payroll teams more. They cost more money than a 12th pitcher. You can argue the minor league DH spares some injuries, and allows pitchers to concentrate on developing the art of pitching - but it does also retard learning hitters fundamentals like defense, advancing runners on productive outs, and makes a negative impact on the simple concept of putting the ball in play instead of pulling off 175 strikeouts a season trying to hit a solo homer or advance a 2 out leadoff double because the other guys also k'd.