• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Devils/Sabres Thoughts

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry for the belated post, but I couldn't watch tonight's game live.

Here of some of my observations from the game.

Chances: The Devils had at least 15 quality chances to score tonight. If all world Ryan Miller wasn't the Sabres goalie this game wouldn't have been close. He's really just so big in the net it looks impossible to score.

End of the PP:This was a very small thing but something that I noticed and absolutely loved. After getting burning with a man coming out of the box earlier in the week, the Devils had Kaleta (I think) covered when he was exiting. That's fantastic game awareness and definitely highlights the Devils doing the little things right and game sense.

Battling for Pucks: The Devils out fought the Sabres most of the night IMO. Even on the Sabres limited chances, the Devils rarely let the Sabres have good positioning except for the one Derek Roy play where he went around the Devils D, but Tallinder definitely back-checked to help Marty make the second save on that play.

Arnott - Elias - Langenbrunner: It's obvious that this line is going to explode soon. IMO, they are the most important line this season, because Parise's line is going to get the toughest dmen. Elias and co. need to take advantage of that.

Skating the Puck Out on D: The Devils D seemed much more comfortable skating the puck up the ice tonight. Buffalo didn't have the best fore-check going, but it was still encouraging to see the D with a plan to escape instead of just dumping it off to their partners.

Pelley: I tallied 6 separate instances where he made an exceptional play either on the fore-check, PK, or in the defensive end. Two solid games in a row. Hopefully he's maturing into the Madden replacement he was expected to be last year.

Colin White's Positioning: Excellent all night. He's doing much better with a d-man who seems willing to carry the puck up ice (Taormina).

Ilya not skating into trouble: He did a much better job of protecting the puck and ensuring it got deep. Only one play resonated where he stick handled into trouble, and that was with Myers covering him. 6'8" dmen have that reach though. It's tough to get around.

Blocking Lanes on the PK: Took lanes away constantly. Need to be careful of screens though.

Races to the Puck: Consistently won these even in the second and end of the 3rd. The game winner was a pure hustle play combined with the best shot I've seen in a while.

Fraser: He's doing the best he can but is still inconsistent.

Tallinder: Best game he has played with the Devils thus far. Two solid games in a row for him.

PP Pointmen: Did a great job getting pucks through to the net in the third period. Had some problems earlier, but definitely adjusted.

D minimized second chances: The D consistently kept the Sabres from getting juicy rebounds. That's how Devils hockey plays at its best. Good to see.

Effort: By far the most consistent effort the Devils have had since the seasons tarted. Even in the second, they weren't outplayed by much. The obviously carried the entire first, the majority of the 3rd and all of OT. If the Devils work hard, they are going to win a lot of games.

Now time to get to .500.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I forgot Adam Mair! He played really well.

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team looked great and everyone played their roll.
Mair is a great pickup....always liked him even back to when he was with Toronto.
Now that the team has got their first W, lets hope that they start putting up a whole lot more of those W's pretty fast. In the new NHL a team cannot get behind the eight ball very early on because it is much harder to make up when you have to leapfrog several other teams for a playoff spot.

Finally, we have to get that bench full because I will hate to see the energy in back to back games much less as the season wears on or injuries. I'm not sure what captain Lou is going to do but it looks like we might have to bite the bullet on this one.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah nice analysis MC.

Couldn't agree more on Pelley! He's been really terrific in these past games, really making an impression.Think we all agree on Fraser not being great but i doubt he'll be going anywhere soon. Was a good win over Buffalo, we knew it'd be low scoring but they really needed that. Maybe Hedberg against the Avs on Friday?

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Very solid overall effort tonight. I am really liking Taormina. If Miller weren't standing on his head, this game would have been over early. Nice to see Kovy bury his first of season and have it come at a critical time.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i didnt get to watch the game but i saw the shots in the 1st that was impressive! even giving up 2 pk's and still only 1 shot against? nice snipe too by kovy

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great game... Im still not sold on the play of # 7 (tallawhatever)... This guy looks like mottau all over again... You say he had a good game... I just dont see it yet... maybe I am still mad about his first two games and the way he played.. but he needs to step it up.... Other than that, it was a great win and hopefully a sign of good things to come...

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great game... Im still not sold on the play of # 7 (tallawhatever)... This guy looks like mottau all over again... You say he had a good game... I just dont see it yet... maybe I am still mad about his first two games and the way he played.. but he needs to step it up.... Other than that, it was a great win and hopefully a sign of good things to come...

i think a lot of what hasn't helped him look good is he and greene are too similair to each other to be paired together IMO.

but even tho he def had subpar games, esp the dallas one, i wouldn't worry much about him. his puck control is very good, he very strong on the puck. its like having a zubrus on defense.... i'm sure some will grill me for that comment

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think a lot of what hasn't helped him look good is he and greene are too similair to each other to be paired together IMO.

but even tho he def had subpar games, esp the dallas one, i wouldn't worry much about him. his puck control is very good, he very strong on the puck. its like having a zubrus on defense.... i'm sure some will grill me for that comment

yeah, I don't understand why those 2 are paired together

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It was a good overall game. The Devils had a strong 3rd period I though against the Penguins and it carried over to the Sabres game.
I agree on Pelley. I never cared for Pelley at all but he has played well so far. He might become that young Madden with a little more grit.
Also, MC's analysis of White is accurate. I haven't really cursed out White yet this season. He has been steady back there.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelley has been hitting.that was a solid thump he put on michalik in the pens game.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
mmhm, he had great energy too. I think was it Clarkie Zubes & Pelley on the same line? i think it was, they worked tirelessly.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to admit, that Sabres did not play well on offense. Maybe it was because of Devils did not let them. Anyway Sabres do not look good at this season's start.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
colins bad eye is his right one correct?

i always feel like he mainly gets picked off going right to left and that could be a big reason why