• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deshaun Watson debacle

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me how the hell can someone be

1. So slick
2. So slippery
3. So fast
4. So Illusive
5. So shake and bake
6. So shifty
7. So quick
8. So light footed
9. So nimble
10. So agile

AND GET SACKED THE MOST IN THE NFL FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS???

I'm tired of hearing it's the O-line... This shit is on him.

He has the ability to throwing the ball away to avoid half of the sacks he takes .... Yet he doesn't have the brain to do it...

He's a one trick pony ... If his first read is covered... it's automatic panic mode.

The Texans got catfished!!!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacks have the most to do with the clock in the QB's head.

His never sped up.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. So slick
2. So slippery
3. So fast
4. So Illusive
5. So shake and bake
6. So shifty
7. So quick
8. So light footed
9. So nimble
10. So agile

He has the ability to throwing the ball away to avoid half of the sacks he takes .... Yet he doesn't have the brain to do it...

He's a one trick pony ... If his first read is covered... it's automatic panic mode.

I still think he's one of the better qbs in the league. I think it's a combination of the offensive line not being good and maybe he is trying to hard to find someone open after the first read. It could also be that he is a bad fit for the head coach there. They run a pretty vanilla offense. If he was on a team with a better OL that had some more creative plays he might have time to run around after that first read and find someone else open.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. So slick
2. So slippery
3. So fast
4. So Illusive
5. So shake and bake
6. So shifty
7. So quick
8. So light footed
9. So nimble
10. So agile

QBs getting sacked is mostly on the OL because they allowed the pressure to begin with, but there are QBs that avoid the sack by throwing the ball way.

Then you have a QBs like Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson, both take a lot of sacks...one is mobile, the other would have trouble beating many DL in a foot race. The point here...mobility and avoiding sacks don’t necessarily go hand in hand. Start with a good OL, and you can coach up most QBs to start avoiding some of those sacks.

Big Ben’s sack #s went way down just by changing his style of play under Haley.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in 2 ff leagues. I took him in both leagues. I'm 0-4 in both leagues. Thanks DeShaun.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in 2 ff leagues. I took him in both leagues. I'm 0-4 in both leagues. Thanks DeShaun.
To be fair, he's had 2 good fantasy weeks.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elusive, ie athletic QB's take a lot of sacks/run into sacks. It's just the way it basically is.
Mahomes really has been one of the very few to take a minimal number of sacks. His sack % is below Brady's as of right now. Has an insane sack % of 1.89% right now.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fire O'Brien and hire Jim Harbaugh.

Deacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacks are a function of several different variables:
The O-line
The play calls
Game situations
QB timing
QB pocket presence
There's a few others but these apply universally to every team.

So looking at Watson's variables:

O-line is one of the worst in the league and the part that makes it so bad is their protection schemes. Games I have seen they are not cohesive at all. I have seen them have trouble passing off stunts that allow D-linemen to progress unblocked.

Play calling is very predictable and consistently vanilla. They very seldom run quick slants, screens, hitches, etc. which are timing routes based on 3,5,or 7 step drops. That would get the ball out quickly on a consistent manner. Instead they run lots of intermediate and deep routes which take time to develop thus causing the QB to hold the ball. I think they are too enamored with the fact that the WR core is so good at deep routes they just aim for the big strike far too often. Also for some untold reason they are afraid of getting an actual RB with skill so they keep taking other teams cast offs (Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson). I mean if your are a skill position player and Miami and Cleveland don't want you...So needless to say they have had one of the worst running games since Watson has been there.

Game situations is not bad cause that defense keeps them in games. They seldom have desperation games where they are chucking it up trying to get back into a lopsided game.

QB timing is pretty bad. Watson definitely holds the ball too long but that is in large part due to the play calling. If they would run more timing routes this would improve. The question is why do they not use them more?

Pocket Presence is pretty bad. In fairness this is something most mobile QBs struggle with simply because they are athletic enough to not have to learn this skill. I think its better explained with examples: Drew Brees is probably the best at pocket presence. He can step up, side step, etc. within the pocket to buy extra time. Russel Wilson still has very poor pocket presence, he is athletic enough to remove himself from danger simply by running away from it but if you corral him you sack him.

I think Watson needs to improve in several areas but the OC is not helping with the play calls and lack of run game. Seems to be a group effort going on in Houston.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Watson might have a good game this week. It looks like he overthrew Fuller on what would have been a touchdown that could have changed the game. Plus I think Coutee is finally healthy. He hasn't done anything this year but last season they were 6-0 when he started so maybe he gives them a different look. And that Akins guy at tight end should have an easier time against Atlanta than Carolina. I guess we'll see in a few days

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Watson might have a good game this week. It looks like he overthrew Fuller on what would have been a touchdown that could have changed the game. Plus I think Coutee is finally healthy. He hasn't done anything this year but last season they were 6-0 when he started so maybe he gives them a different look. And that Akins guy at tight end should have an easier time against Atlanta than Carolina. I guess we'll see in a few days

Someone get this man a cigar!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson heard and say this thread!

Why didn't I start Fuller!!!

Thankfully I played everyone else and should have a huge cushion to win by dang that's points off my board!

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson heard and say this thread!

Why didn't I start Fuller!!!

Thankfully I played everyone else and should have a huge cushion to win by dang that's points off my board!

No doubt 5tds and 426 yards WOW!!