• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive front sevens ranked

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers are about where they should be at 18 primarily because of the youth/unknown up the middle. They're solid on the edges with pretty good depth.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me both units compliment each other well. Wade Phillips is able to be as aggressive as he is because he trusts the back end to hold up so well. At the same time the back end is definitely helped by having a great pass rush that can get home. To me the game that really showed the ability of this secondary was the Green Bay game. There were plays that they timed out where Aaron Rodgers of all people had sometimes over 7 seconds to throw and couldn't find a single player open and the Broncos played man coverage almost the entire game.
While that's true, I think that's more so telling of how poor the Packers WR's were. They were spectacularly awful in the 2nd half of the year, and Rodgers YPA really is the most obvious sign the canary has blacklung. But just busting your chops.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While that's true, I think that's more so telling of how poor the Packers WR's were. They were spectacularly awful in the 2nd half of the year, and Rodgers YPA really is the most obvious sign the canary has blacklung. But just busting your chops.

Oh I agree they were not a great unit. You would still think with 7 seconds and the best QB in the league that somebody would be able to get open and he would be able to find them. I mean even the worst WR's in the league should be able to get open with 7 seconds of running around.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think PFF's secondary numbers are all bunk. Lots of lulz CB stats when checking out college draft picks for last year's draft. IMO, Denver doesn't have a top secondary duo but its high enough and I do think they have the best front 7 (maybe 2nd best heading into next year...somewhere right up with Carolina).

I agree with you that PFF's secondary numbers are suspect. They primarily rely on standard broadcast to grade players. It's simply not possible to judge how well a corner is doing when watching standard broadcast.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me both units compliment each other well. Wade Phillips is able to be as aggressive as he is because he trusts the back end to hold up so well. At the same time the back end is definitely helped by having a great pass rush that can get home. To me the game that really showed the ability of this secondary was the Green Bay game. There were plays that they timed out where Aaron Rodgers of all people had sometimes over 7 seconds to throw and couldn't find a single player open and the Broncos played man coverage almost the entire game.
Denver definitely has the top defense in the league last year and that should still be their strength no doubt. I think if I was ranking their secondary and front 7, they'd probably be #2 in front 7 and maybe #2 or 3 in secondary for next year and #1 overall.

Chiefs to me for the past couple of years have had a 'bouncer' defense. They keep all of the bad offenses in check and out of the club but elite offenses can find holes. The whole team also seems to be predicated around turnover margin and running the football and if for some reason they don't win those things then they can have issues.

So in 2016 I feel like the Broncos have to prove they can keep their dominance of the division in check while breaking in a QB, the Chiefs have to prove they can beat elite QBs and the Raiders have to prove that they are ready to step up....but honestly I think all 3 fanbases have to be optimistic heading into the season.

edit - a couple of typos

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put Carolina over Seattle right now. Other than that an argument could be made for a few teams to jump Seattle but I can't complain about that ranking.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that PFF's secondary numbers are suspect. They primarily rely on standard broadcast to grade players. It's simply not possible to judge how well a corner is doing when watching standard broadcast.
The inconsistency in their year to year grading for DB's is really downright frustrating. They definitely do not lead one to give them the benefit of the doubt when oddball grades are handed out.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The inconsistency in their year to year grading for DB's is really downright frustrating. They definitely do not lead one to give them the benefit of the doubt when oddball grades are handed out.

They are inconsistent because of how they grade. If a cornerback doesn't have a pass thrown at him he gets a low but positive grade because he wasn't involved in enough plays.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver definitely has the top defense in the league last year and that should still be their strength no doubt. I think if I was ranking their secondary and front 7, they'd probably be #2 in front 7 and maybe #2 or 3 in secondary for next year and #1 overall.

Chiefs to me for the past couple of years have had a 'bouncer' defense. They keep all of the bad offenses in check and out of the club but elite offenses can find holes. The whole team also seems to be predicated around turnover margin and running the football and if for some reason they don't win those things then they can have issues.

So in 2017 I feel like the Broncos have to prove they can keep their dominance of the division in check while breaking in a QB, the Chiefs have to prove they can beat elite QBs and the Raiders have to prove that they are ready to step up....but honestly I think all 3 fanbases have to be optimistic heading into the season.

I definitely agree that all 3 fanbases have things to be excited about. They all have huge question marks that depending how those are answered will be the difference this year. It isn't quite as much a given that the Broncos win the division this year without Manning dominating. I do think the Broncos worked hard to prepare for life after Manning instead of just always depending on him to be great shown obviously by our dominating defense last year. This off season they focused on rebuilding the OL and rushing attack to help compliment the defense. Obviously not a foregone conclusion that they will have a rushing attack but I definitely feel better about it this year than I did last year. And obviously the QB position just have to see what happens. Chiefs obviously some big question marks on the defense. Might be leaning on the offense more than usual so have to see if Smith and the others are up for it. Plus the weapons on offense of can they find a great #2. For the Raiders I don't think they have great depth so they will be depending a lot on staying healthy for a 2nd year in a row. Defensively they look to be lacking quality at the LB position and offensively TE and RB are big question marks. Murray is the type of guy he can have an explosive run in a game that changes everything or he can do nothing for the entire game. Have to see if he can be more consistent. Coaching wise is the other question I have for the Raiders. I think they have the worst coaching of the 3 teams so have to see how much that plays into it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely agree that all 3 fanbases have things to be excited about. They all have huge question marks that depending how those are answered will be the difference this year. It isn't quite as much a given that the Broncos win the division this year without Manning dominating. I do think the Broncos worked hard to prepare for life after Manning instead of just always depending on him to be great shown obviously by our dominating defense last year. This off season they focused on rebuilding the OL and rushing attack to help compliment the defense. Obviously not a foregone conclusion that they will have a rushing attack but I definitely feel better about it this year than I did last year. And obviously the QB position just have to see what happens. Chiefs obviously some big question marks on the defense. Might be leaning on the offense more than usual so have to see if Smith and the others are up for it. Plus the weapons on offense of can they find a great #2. For the Raiders I don't think they have great depth so they will be depending a lot on staying healthy for a 2nd year in a row. Defensively they look to be lacking quality at the LB position and offensively TE and RB are big question marks. Murray is the type of guy he can have an explosive run in a game that changes everything or he can do nothing for the entire game. Have to see if he can be more consistent. Coaching wise is the other question I have for the Raiders. I think they have the worst coaching of the 3 teams so have to see how much that plays into it.
I think the thing about the Chiefs and Raiders is that they have a lot of question marks but not as many as they did heading into last season. A Chiefs fan probably has more confidence in Maclin, the offensive line, Alex Smith and Marcus Peters than they did last year. A Raiders fan probably has a whole lot more confidence in Carr and their secondary than they did last year.

Broncos have kinda morphed into a prime Steelers/Ravens team where you know you're getting an elite defense and whatever else comes with is just gravy.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing about the Chiefs and Raiders is that they have a lot of question marks but not as many as they did heading into last season. A Chiefs fan probably has more confidence in Maclin, the offensive line, Alex Smith and Marcus Peters than they did last year. A Raiders fan probably has a whole lot more confidence in Carr and their secondary than they did last year.

Broncos have kinda morphed into a prime Steelers/Ravens team where you know you're getting an elite defense and whatever else comes with is just gravy.

I guess for me the Chiefs have a lot more answers on offense but a lot more questions on defense than last year. The Raiders it is going to be hard for me to believe in them to actually compete until they actually show it on the field. I mean 13 years of not having a winning season is not the easiest thing to over come. Throw in they skipped the whole dark horse phase as they have had all these expectations just thrown on them this year and we have seen many teams struggle when expectations are high.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess for me the Chiefs have a lot more answers on offense but a lot more questions on defense than last year.
Nah, you're just used to looking at Denver's roster. Most NFL teams generally have some question marks on defense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, you're just used to looking at Denver's roster. Most NFL teams generally have some question marks on defense.

I understand that but I have more questions this year about the Chiefs compared to last year. Hali and Houston last year were considered maybe the top pass rush duo in the NFL. Now this year no clue when Houston will be coming back and Hali showed some signs of slowing down. Johnson is another year older so have to see how he holds up. Really they are once again having a huge question mark at Cornerback beyond the top player again this year like last year. It worked out last year but have to see if they can once again replace a starter at Corner. Safety wise have to see what happens with Berry in negotiations. I just had a lot more faith last year that the Chiefs were were going to be a top-10 possibly top-5 defense more so than this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that but I have more questions this year about the Chiefs compared to last year. Hali and Houston last year were considered maybe the top pass rush duo in the NFL. Now this year no clue when Houston will be coming back and Hali showed some signs of slowing down. Johnson is another year older so have to see how he holds up. Really they are once again having a huge question mark at Cornerback beyond the top player again this year like last year. It worked out last year but have to see if they can once again replace a starter at Corner. Safety wise have to see what happens with Berry in negotiations. I just had a lot more faith last year that the Chiefs were were going to be a top-10 possibly top-5 defense more so than this year.
Last year the Chiefs defense actually started out quite poorly posting the worst red zone defense in the NFL until after the Bears game. Hali's production last year was similar to that of 2014. I think you could argue he has been slowing down for a couple of years and eventually that will stall out but he is a year and a half younger than Demarcus Ware.

Justin Houston had 14.5 fewer sacks last year than he did compared to the previous year but the Chiefs found a way to increase their sack total by getting more sacks from pretty much everyone else except the rush linebackers.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think by year end and after the suspensions are over and with younger guys improving Dallas will be much higher than 24, but as of right now and without assuming the growth I am expecting and knowing about the suspensions already levied, I have no problem with this ranking. But honestly, I couldn't care less if they were #1 or #32. Cracks me up when fans get all bent out of shape over someones opinion/prediction.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta is ranked 28.

That's way too high.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Browns are right where they belong.:L

Since this article was written, their best front 4 player tore is pec. Out for the season.