• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense ?

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St.Louis should be the trade target for defenseman they did not get the forwards in FA that they were looking for! Roman Polak would be my target maybe send them Purcell ? Panik ? or another prospect ? heck I would give them Connolly and my first round pick next year for Lapierre and Alex Pietrangelo

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St.Louis should be the trade target for defenseman they did not get the forwards in FA that they were looking for! Roman Polak would be my target maybe send them Purcell ? Panik ? or another prospect ? heck I would give them Connolly and my first round pick next year for Lapierre and Alex Pietrangelo

St.Louis is an option but I don't see Pietrangelo going anywhere and the price in a trade would probably be more than Edler in my opinion. I like Shattenkirk but he's undersized and more of a puckmover, doesn't really fit the type of defenseman we need plus the price on him wouldn't be cheap either. Honestly Polak, I don't know much about him, he looks more like a #4/5 but Barrett Jackman would be a nice fit in my opinion. Plays a more stay-at-home game, plays reliable and can provide a physical presence. To be honest I think Jackman or Polak would be perfect regarding filling our your top 4 and proving depth on your second pairing but we need to better that, we need to find someone who we can pair with Hedman now and going forward. I think Edler is our best bet, he makes more sense as he's exactly what we need. Yzerman needs to add quality, Jackman or Polak would be a good addition but we need to make a great addition and Edler would be that. We need to improve our defense and improve it best as possible and Edler is the most realistic option out there in my opinion.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St.Louis is an option but I don't see Pietrangelo going anywhere and the price in a trade would probably be more than Edler in my opinion. I like Shattenkirk but he's undersized and more of a puckmover, doesn't really fit the type of defenseman we need plus the price on him wouldn't be cheap either. Honestly Polak, I don't know much about him, he looks more like a #4/5 but Barrett Jackman would be a nice fit in my opinion. Plays a more stay-at-home game, plays reliable and can provide a physical presence. To be honest I think Jackman or Polak would be perfect regarding filling our your top 4 and proving depth on your second pairing but we need to better that, we need to find someone who we can pair with Hedman now and going forward. I think Edler is our best bet, he makes more sense as he's exactly what we need. Yzerman needs to add quality, Jackman or Polak would be a good addition but we need to make a great addition and Edler would be that. We need to improve our defense and improve it best as possible and Edler is the most realistic option out there in my opinion.
Ya Alex Edler would fit the # 2 defenseman that we lack big time! then it puts Matt Carle back to his normal role. But what scares me is we can't trade the whole farm on Edler! we need are prospects for when Purcell, St.Louis, Malone, Salo, Brewer guys like that leave retire or fa. I mean the best offer I would make would be Connolly, Mark Barberio and a 2014 2nd round draft pick! but I don't think that will get it done for edler.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion I would offer them what it takes, Connolly, Barberio and a 1st, i'd do that. With this deal we are not trading our farm. We are looking good at either wing position. LW we have guys like Drouin, Palat and Killorn, going forward our left side looks deep and don't forget with have Erne and Richard as well. At RW we don't look as deep but still you have guys like Marty, Teddy and Panik now and then you have the likes of Brown and Kucherov coming through the ranks as well as Brian Hart. Down the middle we have Stamkos, Fippula, Johnson and Thompson as well as Namestinkov and Paquette in the system, we look rather strong down the middle. Defensively, if you add Edler we look good now and going forward. Hedman and Edler will be your #1 and #2. Carle's locked up, if he plays up to his potential then he improves our defense. Salo and Brewer can still produce but as see them more as bridge players so guys like Gudas, Aulie and Sustr can develop at their own pace and eventual be suitable replacements for them as they improve and don't forget Koekkoek either, he's a slow project but has top 4 potential, probably a #2/3 puck moving defenseman.

The reason Yzerman can make this deal is because he has the depth in the system and he knows it. It depends on what the Canucks want in return, the name floating around is Connolly and he's probably they guy who they want but they also need help down the middle of the ice, perhaps they may want Tyler Johnson? Who knows??? All I know is that we are interested in him, it makes sense for both sides but they want a "quality" prospect featured in the deal, that probably being Brett Connolly.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion I would offer them what it takes, Connolly, Barberio and a 1st, i'd do that. With this deal we are not trading our farm. We are looking good at either wing position. LW we have guys like Drouin, Palat and Killorn, going forward our left side looks deep and don't forget with have Erne and Richard as well. At RW we don't look as deep but still you have guys like Marty, Teddy and Panik now and then you have the likes of Brown and Kucherov coming through the ranks as well as Brian Hart. Down the middle we have Stamkos, Fippula, Johnson and Thompson as well as Namestinkov and Paquette in the system, we look rather strong down the middle. Defensively, if you add Edler we look good now and going forward. Hedman and Edler will be your #1 and #2. Carle's locked up, if he plays up to his potential then he improves our defense. Salo and Brewer can still produce but as see them more as bridge players so guys like Gudas, Aulie and Sustr can develop at their own pace and eventual be suitable replacements for them as they improve and don't forget Koekkoek either, he's a slow project but has top 4 potential, probably a #2/3 puck moving defenseman.

The reason Yzerman can make this deal is because he has the depth in the system and he knows it. It depends on what the Canucks want in return, the name floating around is Connolly and he's probably they guy who they want but they also need help down the middle of the ice, perhaps they may want Tyler Johnson? Who knows??? All I know is that we are interested in him, it makes sense for both sides but they want a "quality" prospect featured in the deal, that probably being Brett Connolly.
Ya your right now if we go with this team we would be picking 10th or 12th in the draft next year if we got Alex Edler I think that pushes us over the hill into a playoff spot. It's almost like what the bucs did they used there 13th pick to address a major weakness to solve that problem. The Lightning need to address there major weakness the number 2 defenseman and Alex Edler is a number 1 defenseman. Yzerman has the prospects and draft picks to address a major weakness and he knows it plus I'm sure they could flip Malone for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick and pick up a extra pick.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Dreger tweeted that Alex Edler is off the market with the buyout of Keith Ballard but perhaps Edler can still be had for the right price. Yzerman still has to make this happen and despite the Canucks buying out Edler they still have limited cap space to fill several holes on their roster. Yzerman needs to be aggressive, he needs to push hard for Edler, he's the sort of defenseman we sp desperately need. If it take Connolly, Barberio, a 1st round pick plus another high-to-mid round draft pick, I'd do it, we need Edler!

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Dreger tweeted that Alex Edler is off the market with the buyout of Keith Ballard but perhaps Edler can still be had for the right price. Yzerman still has to make this happen and despite the Canucks buying out Edler they still have limited cap space to fill several holes on their roster. Yzerman needs to be aggressive, he needs to push hard for Edler, he's the sort of defenseman we sp desperately need. If it take Connolly, Barberio, a 1st round pick plus another high-to-mid round draft pick, I'd do it, we need Edler!
ya we do need edler because with the team we have I can't see us making the playoffs these year with the defense left alone! unless Ben Bishop starts playing like Patrick Roy!

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based of Yzerman words it doesn't sound like much is on the market regarding a trade and therefore I believe he's the one who has to be aggressive in order to make something happen, again he has the depth in farm system to do so. Based off his words, he also seems content to have the same D core as last year (Hedman, Salo, Carle, Brewer, Aulie, Gudas and Barberio), if that's the case that worries me because we need to improve our blueline or this team is going nowhere despite our talent upfront. Yzerman feels like the youngsters of Hedman, Aulie and Gudas will continue to grow and without a shortened season and a condensed schedule, he believes that will benefit guys like Salo and Brewer. I do believe he has a point but I don't believe that drastically improves our defense, we need to improve our defense by acquiring talent not by hoping the same group of guys improve their play.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based of Yzerman words it doesn't sound like much is on the market regarding a trade and therefore I believe he's the one who has to be aggressive in order to make something happen, again he has the depth in farm system to do so. Based off his words, he also seems content to have the same D core as last year (Hedman, Salo, Carle, Brewer, Aulie, Gudas and Barberio), if that's the case that worries me because we need to improve our blueline or this team is going nowhere despite our talent upfront. Yzerman feels like the youngsters of Hedman, Aulie and Gudas will continue to grow and without a shortened season and a condensed schedule, he believes that will benefit guys like Salo and Brewer. I do believe he has a point but I don't believe that drastically improves our defense, we need to improve our defense by acquiring talent not by hoping the same group of guys improve their play.
We will improve but the problem is with those guys we will be picking 10th in the draft instead of 3rd in the draft. Yzerman needs to go out and push a trade it does not have to happen today but it needs to happen sometime this offseason or playoffs are out of the question. He needs to get a deal done for a # 2 defenseman because we are in a postion right now were we can afford to over pay a bit. Look at ottawa they will be much better next season now! there issue was they could not score enough goals. So they went out and addressed a big weakness and traded for Bobby Ryan. Did ottawa over pay yes they did but they filled a postion of need. The number 2 defenseman is a huge hole right now and Carle, Salo and Brewer can not play that role we all know this. Minor league wise we really don't have anybody in are system that will become and number 2 defenseman. So the only way to get one is draft one or make a trade for one because those guys almost never hit the fa market. Until we address this need I see no playoffs in are future anytime soon unless ben bishop plays like patrick roy all of the sudden. :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will improve but the problem is with those guys we will be picking 10th in the draft instead of 3rd in the draft. Yzerman needs to go out and push a trade it does not have to happen today but it needs to happen sometime this offseason or playoffs are out of the question. He needs to get a deal done for a # 2 defenseman because we are in a postion right now were we can afford to over pay a bit. Look at ottawa they will be much better next season now! there issue was they could not score enough goals. So they went out and addressed a big weakness and traded for Bobby Ryan. Did ottawa over pay yes they did but they filled a postion of need. The number 2 defenseman is a huge hole right now and Carle, Salo and Brewer can not play that role we all know this. Minor league wise we really don't have anybody in are system that will become and number 2 defenseman. So the only way to get one is draft one or make a trade for one because those guys almost never hit the fa market. Until we address this need I see no playoffs in are future anytime soon unless ben bishop plays like patrick roy all of the sudden. :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

Yeah I agree. Yzerman is a smart man, i'd be disappointed in him if he doesn't acquire a quality defenseman this offseason. Not many quality defenseman are put on the market and at this current time, none are really on the market therefore Yzerman has to make it happen and he has the farm system to make it happen. Despite how good a certain player may be, ever player has a price. That price maybe steeper than what you may like to pay but in the circumstances we are in, I think we have to pay what it takes. It's time for Yzerman to step up to the plate and deliver.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree. Yzerman is a smart man, i'd be disappointed in him if he doesn't acquire a quality defenseman this offseason. Not many quality defenseman are put on the market and at this current time, none are really on the market therefore Yzerman has to make it happen and he has the farm system to make it happen. Despite how good a certain player may be, ever player has a price. That price maybe steeper than what you may like to pay but in the circumstances we are in, I think we have to pay what it takes. It's time for Yzerman to step up to the plate and deliver.
Ya we just have to find a match a team that can spare defenseman that needs good future forwards really badly. The teams that come to mind are Nashville, St.Louis and maybe ottawa to add to Bobby Ryan. IDK should yzerman make a mega offer for Seth Jones! send them Bret Connolly, Richard Panik and a 2014 1st round pick. I mean looking at Nashville they need offense and panik and connolly plus a first round pick would be a over payment. In doing this deal for the short term it may take time but in the long term having Hedman and Jones would solve are long term defense issues. I mean it would stink to lose Connolly, Panik and a 1st round pick but we are so deep in the minors we can afford to over pay.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to do everything we can to make the playoffs. If we don't make it this year Stamkos will almost be sure to desert this team when his contract is up. As he won't be satisfied to be on a second rate team all of his young playing days.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to do everything we can to make the playoffs. If we don't make it this year Stamkos will almost be sure to desert this team when his contract is up. As he won't be satisfied to be on a second rate team all of his young playing days.
Ya I can't see Stamkos being happy if we miss the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row! I agree on this bolt Yzerman needs to get Alex Edler or Keith Yandle this would address are defense problems. Stamkos has been here 5 years now and missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years here it's time to start trying to make a playoff run. I just feel we are in a postion in are minors that we can afford to over pay for a guy like Edler or Yandle. Even if we traded connolly and a 2014 first round draft pick we will still be in good shape in are minors we are so deep there in depth.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this says it all yzerman is going into his fourth year in tampa next year it's time to deliver and make the playoffs next season. I think yzerman has done a good job here and it's just taking a little longer then he thought it would. But missing the playoffs 3 years in a row will not make St.Louis and Stamkos happy at all. That then could spark a change by Jeff Vinik to make one because yzerman only has two years left on his contract so his plan was a 5 year plan! going into to year 4 now it's time to start seeing some progress! Fennelly: Time for Yzerman to deliver | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a good article Todd and I agree with Stevie Y that Vinny had to go. As great as he was he's definitely over the hill as far as ability / output goes . Fillpula will more than replace Vinny.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a good article Todd and I agree with Stevie Y that Vinny had to go. As great as he was he's definitely over the hill as far as ability / output goes . Fillpula will more than replace Vinny.
Ya for the very few good Free agents out there with a limited cap room and yzerman picked up Fillpula! it was a good move!