• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dave Stewart inexplicable lead candidate to be AZ GM

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Hall and the D-backs front office look to continue their tradition of misguided and downright idiotic Front Office hires.

Word is Dave Stewart, who I love (when he was a player), is the lead candidate. After hiring AJ Hinch based on pure friendship, you'd think they'd have learned. Stewart had a brief (unsuccessful) stint as an assistant GM in Toronto and has since been an agent. So they want to begin a massive rebuild by transitioning an agent to a Front Office position like GM????

While he probably interviews well, again, AZ should have one requirement for their GM:
1. A past history of undeniable SUCCESS as a GM or very closely-related position.

That's it. Seems common sense, right? Esp when you have a recent history of stupid hires by ignoring that rule.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have faith Larussa will do the right thing.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe that Stewart had an outstanding track record of negotiating low prices for services from transvestite prostitutes.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stewart is on of LaRussa's guys, and LaRussa is new to your org. I am not sure you can call this move (if it in fact happens) "more of the same".

However, on the flip side of that argument, LaRussa has never had a front office job before this, so maybe HE is the questionable hire??

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe that Stewart had an outstanding track record of negotiating low prices for services from transvestite prostitutes.

And that is an oft-overlooked skill in GMs today...

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indrid: LOL...never thought of it that way. I suppose this is a better approach than what they've usually been doing so worth a try.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Someone actually posted a thread about baseball. You should listen to LaRussas conversation with Doug and Wolfe about potential hirings. I like where his head is at this early in the process.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone is better than Kevin Towers. ANYONE.

I'll give Mr. Stewart a fair chance to prove himself. Please don't fuck up!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Hall and La Russa weren't fucking around when it comes to turning the team around. We shall see what happens...

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like many of the posters on this board, I said before the season started that I thought this team would be awful. They ended up being the worst team in baseball. I think this is the worst Diamondbacks team I have ever seen and I am ashamed of the moves that Kevin Towers made during his tenure. He could not have done a worse job. He absolutely destroyed the team and I am very excited that the organization has gone in a different direction.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure they have gone in a different direction. I love LaRussa being on board, but Dave Stewart is arguably a dumber hire than Kevin Towers was.

My only hope is that LaRussa has his hands in every decision the GM makes. I trust him. If he gives Dave Stewart free reign, I have no idea what will happen.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm still trying to figure this out. I don't think it's necessarily the same thing to say that La Russa getting hired is the same gamble as Stewart. I can see it in the context of not having the position before, but the comparison ends there.

La Russa (as much as I hate him as a Dodger fan) is one of the greatest head coaches ever. He has far more of an inner understanding of the front office, players, farm systems, managing, etc., than Stewart does about anything related to being a successful GM. I'll give it to ya that he was an assistant, but that was only 3 years for 3 different teams, back in the late 90's. And yes, since 2002 he has been a sports agent. I see a small possibility of this going well, and a huge possibility of it blowing up... and not much in between.

I don't see how you don't take a chance with La Russa, but damn, this is pretty crazy. Who is the head coach, then, Washington, Gardenhire, someone else?

Call me crazy, and I didn't necessarily expect him to stay, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gibby hooks up with a good GM and has some success somewhere.

I just have no idea what is going to happen in AZ next year. I'll suspend judgement because I don't know either way. But damn, we'll see.