• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dark Winds

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just stumbled onto this on AMC this weekend and was pretty excited.

For those who aren't familiar, it is based on the Navajo Tribal police officers Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. They were characters in a series of books by Tony Hillerman, which was one of my favorite series. I was reading Leaphorn/Chee before Bosch and Reacher.

Robert Redford is listed as a producer as he was on the PBS Mystery series that did a couple of the books back in the early 2000s. Those three were quite good, so I look forward to this new adaption. (PBS series: "A Thief of Time", "Skinwalker" and "Coyote Waits."

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For those who aren't familiar, it is based on the Navajo Tribal police officers Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. They were characters in a series of books by Tony Hillerman, which was one of my favorite series. I was reading Leaphorn/Chee before Bosch and Reacher.

Robert Redford is listed as a producer as he was on the PBS Mystery series that did a couple of the books back in the early 2000s. Those three were quite good, so I look forward to this new adaption. (PBS series: "A Thief of Time", "Skinwalker" and "Coyote Waits."
The guy playing Leaphorn, Zahn McClamon, was really good playing a tribal policeman in Longmire. He should do really well in Dark Winds.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having now watched a couple of episodes, I can point to a few (what I consider) significant differences with the book series. Since Anne Hillerman is listed as an executive producer, and she currently authors the new books after taking over from her father when he passed away, I assume she approves of the changes for the sake of TV.

Joe Leaphorn - in the books, Leaphorn has broken totally with the Navajo tribal superstitions, especially the chindi and skinwalkers. He tends to redicule the old ways and lives in a modern world. In the TV, he appears to at least adhere to the tribal customs surrounding the supernatural. Further, I can't recall ever having Leaphorn refer to a dead son in the books.

Jim Chee - there are big differences between the books and TV series. In the books, Jim is training to be a "singer" which is somewhat like a priest in the Navajo religion. He actively accepts that chindi and skinwalkers might exist. In the TV, Chee is an undercover FBI agent, which in itself is silly. How he could be undercover is beyond me. There is a common thread with the books in that Chee has been offered a position as a special agent with the FBI, and he spends 3 or 4 books dealing with the offer. In the books, he is encouraged by Janet Pete, a Navajo lawyer, to accept the FBI and move with her to DC.

Bernadette Manuelito - she doesn't appear in the early books but arrives maybe halfway through the book series, after Pete decamps to DC. Eventually Jim and Bernadette marry.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've read them all. And given I currently ploughing through the Michael/Kathleen Gear indigenous histories in North America it's cool to see how different Leaphorn and Chee and the rest are from my local 1st nations bands.

Reading the Gear books you realize the tribes over the years and areas are vastly different for reasons like location, food source, etc.

But it is great to see correctly shown matrons overseeing things. Grinding corn. The old ways.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished this up yesterday. Not sure what the point of having Rain Wilson in it was. His part was small, and really, not necessary. Zahn McClaron was solid, as he always is. I want to see him in more main stream stuff, but I get the sense he wants to stay in the NA sub genre to help the community. If that is the case, more power to him. The main cast is pretty good. Jim and Madeleine are both played by decent actors. But unfortunately, the extras and bit players are pretty bad. Not a lot of NAs with experience in “Hollywood”, so I guess that explains that.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished this up yesterday. Not sure what the point of having Rain Wilson in it was. His part was small, and really, not necessary. Zahn McClaron was solid, as he always is. I want to see him in more main stream stuff, but I get the sense he wants to stay in the NA sub genre to help the community. If that is the case, more power to him. The main cast is pretty good. Jim and Madeleine are both played by decent actors. But unfortunately, the extras and bit players are pretty bad. Not a lot of NAs with experience in “Hollywood”, so I guess that explains that.
They sure placed him front and center in their promos a whole lot for THAT level of involvement…

That said - it was very well done.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ending felt really rushed (like the episode itself was really short too, padded with a ton of commercials), but overall I thought the show was pretty good.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This actually got a 2nd season. Just started this past Sunday. First episode is pretty good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally forgot about this show. I should check it out, though I think I will wait to binge…

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking of longmire it ended way too early for me.it was a great show
Thought I read or saw they were shooting another season/spinoff.

I'm thinking something with Katee Sackhoff and Robert Taylor saying "We're Back"