• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dantonio pulls a Brady Hoke, puts a potentially concussed Lewerke back in play

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more reporters are picking up on this:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put your dick away, junior. Dantonio isn't getting fired.
I don't think I want him to leave. Watching him destroy the program he built has been pretty entertaining. But this combined with losing, is exactly the circumstances that lead to Hoke being fired.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I want him to leave. Watching him destroy the program he built has been pretty entertaining. But this combined with losing, is exactly the circumstances that lead to Hoke being fired.

kewl.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Dantonio retires after this year or next year. He's clearly on the downslope of his career. However, the work he's done has put Michigan State in a great position, and I think they end up with a solid young hire.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Dantonio retires after this year or next year. He's clearly on the downslope of his career. However, the work he's done has put Michigan State in a great position, and I think they end up with a solid young hire.
We'll see how the year ends, if he goes 3-0 in his last 3 games, wins a bowl game...that's 8 wins. Seems unlikely but crazier things have happened. A win over Michigan would seriously help him, so who knows; maybe he's spent the last 365 days planning for this coming Sat. But it would seem that he's ruining everything he built and making the fanbase turn on him. Reminds me of Lloyd in the later years.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s retiring anyways. Career defined by trick plays.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how the year ends, if he goes 3-0 in his last 3 games, wins a bowl game...that's 8 wins. Seems unlikely but crazier things have happened. A win over Michigan would seriously help him, so who knows; maybe he's spent the last 365 days planning for this coming Sat. But it would seem that he's ruining everything he built and making the fanbase turn on him. Reminds me of Lloyd in the later years.
That's a fair comparison. Michigan State has become a bit of a brand though, with good, sometimes very good/elite play and the ridiculous uniforms they've brought out that seem to appeal to the kids somewhat. If they were smart, they'd go after a guy like Fickell, and I think he'd jump at the chance. If MSU ends up 6-6 (most likely scenario), I think they give Dantonio the option to retire or be let go, and go after Fickell hard. He could be the type of guy to bring them back to a high level.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a fair comparison. Michigan State has become a bit of a brand though, with good, sometimes very good/elite play and the ridiculous uniforms they've brought out that seem to appeal to the kids somewhat. If they were smart, they'd go after a guy like Fickell, and I think he'd jump at the chance. If MSU ends up 6-6 (most likely scenario), I think they give Dantonio the option to retire or be let go, and go after Fickell hard. He could be the type of guy to bring them back to a high level.

Fickell would be a great hire for them. Familiar with the recruiting area, and has done a great job turning Cincy around. Plus now is the time for him to leave with his AD accepting the USC job.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude makes the playoffs then completely tanks the proceeding seasons. Sad to lose a great coach but I’m starting to think he should step down after the season.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fickell would be a great hire for them. Familiar with the recruiting area, and has done a great job turning Cincy around. Plus now is the time for him to leave with his AD accepting the USC job.
I suppose it worked out well the last time they took a former OSU DC-turned Cincy HC. Only this time he's much younger than the last time. Not only that, but I think he brings a good amount of his staff with him, and they're a really solid staff, especially Marcus Freeman. They would be a perfect fit, it would seem.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fickell would make me nervous as an MSU fan. He also sucked hard when he took over for OSU - giving us our only win in the last decade (insert sad Mich Narcos image). Honestly, I think MSU could do better.

Here's a wildcard: Chris Creighton at EMU. Took over arguably one of the worst programs in football and made them semi-respectable. EMU hadn't had a 7 win season since 1989; they've had two in four years under Creighton and have the potential for another this year. He's also taken EMU to two bowl games, EMU had only been to a single bowl in history prior. Honestly, I'm not sure why his name isn't thrown around more often.

I think MSU has to hire someone like that, get in early on an up and coming coach or go for a home-run assistant, that will stick around for a while.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude makes the playoffs then completely tanks the proceeding seasons. Sad to lose a great coach but I’m starting to think he should step down after the season.
I think the shocking thing has been how average their defense has been. That was supposed to be one of the best defenses in the country with the talent htey had coming back. It's been torched by multiple teams so far this year. Illinois put up 37 points and 405 total yard, Indiana put up 31 points and 356 yards.

Sure, if they had a better QB they'd have won a few more games....but if their defense was anything like last year's defense they'd likely have 2-3 more wins on their record right now.

The whole staff should be fired if Dantonio stays another year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fickell would make me nervous as an MSU fan. He also sucked hard when he took over for OSU - giving us our only win in the last decade (insert sad Mich Narcos image). Honestly, I think MSU could do better.

Here's a wildcard: Chris Creighton at EMU. Took over arguably one of the worst programs in football and made them semi-respectable. EMU hadn't had a 7 win season since 1989; they've had two in four years under Creighton and have the potential for another this year. He's also taken EMU to two bowl games, EMU had only been to a single bowl in history prior. Honestly, I'm not sure why his name isn't thrown around more often.

I think MSU has to hire someone like that, get in early on an up and coming coach or go for a home-run assistant, that will stick around for a while.
You've gotta be kidding me re: Fickell. That was 8 years ago in a season where he took over as HC 3 months before the season started. Also, don't forget that OSU wins that game against michigan if Braxton doesn't overthrow a wide open WR for the game-winning TD. He has Cincinnati sitting at 17th nationally with players nobody knows. They averaged 5 wins a season from 2015-2017, then he won 11 games last year and could easily hit that number this year. He is a coach clearly on the rise.

Creighton is coaching in the worst conference in the nation and has his team sitting dead last in his division. That's an awful name to bring up. Fickell has his team in the driver's seat in a G5 conference that has more ranked teams than two of the P5 conferences. I get you have a "michigan over Ohio" complex, but that's just idiotic.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've gotta be kidding me re: Fickell. That was 8 years ago in a season where he took over as HC 3 months before the season started. Also, don't forget that OSU wins that game against michigan if Braxton doesn't overthrow a wide open WR for the game-winning TD. He has Cincinnati sitting at 17th nationally with players nobody knows. They averaged 5 wins a season from 2015-2017, then he won 11 games last year and could easily hit that number this year. He is a coach clearly on the rise.

Creighton is coaching in the worst conference in the nation and has his team sitting dead last in his division. That's an awful name to bring up. Fickell has his team in the driver's seat in a G5 conference that has more ranked teams than two of the P5 conferences. I get you have a "michigan over Ohio" complex, but that's just idiotic.
I'm just saying Fickell would make me nervous, that's all. He only has a couple years of coaching history to go off of, two of which involve the worst season at OSU in two decades and a losing season to start at Cinci followed by two good seasons. But it's not like Cinci is a tire fire that's hard to win at. In the previous 10 seasons (not counting this year) Cinci had 5 9+ win seasons and 4 conference titles. And while Cinci has pumped out a few really good coaches (Dantonio/Kelly) They also have Tuberville and Butch Jones on that list recently. All of which were able to do good things at Cinci.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying Fickell would make me nervous, that's all. He only has a couple years of coaching history to go off of, two of which involve the worst season at OSU in two decades and a losing season to start at Cinci followed by two good seasons. But it's not like Cinci is a tire fire that's hard to win at. In the previous 10 seasons (not counting this year) Cinci had 5 9+ win seasons and 4 conference titles. And while Cinci has pumped out a few really good coaches (Dantonio/Kelly) They also have Tuberville and Butch Jones on that list recently. All of which were able to do good things at Cinci.
And Creighton has his team sitting dead last in their division in the worst conference in the FBS. Again, I know you have your anti-Ohio bias, but this is just retarded. Fickell coached under two of the best coaches of this century in Tressel and Urban, and has Cincinnati playing high-level ball. He also would be a steal in terms of recruiting with his Ohio ties, which MSU desperately needs in order to stay relevant. There isn't a shred of logic to saying Creighton would be a better hire.