• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cuts By The Rams

Raminator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per St. Louis-Post Dispatch:
Rams • Defensive end Quinton Coples, a first-round pick by the New York Jets in 2012, was the biggest “name” player cut Monday by the Rams. After the release of veteran Chris Long in February, the Rams signed Coples to a two-year, $6.5 million free-agent deal in March. The contract included a $750,000 roster bonus — paid March 22 — that was the only guaranteed money in the contract.

The team hoped he would revive his career playing in a 4-3 scheme once again, but that didn’t prove to be the case. Eugene Sims and Ethan Westbrooks figure to be the backup defensive ends behind starters Robert Quinn and William Hayes.

The other cuts: kicker Taylor Bertolet, tight end Benson Browne, defensive back Michael Caputo, defensive tackle Zach Colvin, guard-center Bryan Folkerts, linebacker Darreon Herring, long snapper Jeff Overbaugh, wide receiver David Richards, tight end Jake Stoneburner, offensive tackle Jordan Swindle and quarterback Dylan Thompson. All of the players in that group are undrafted rookies except for Folkerts and Stoneburner.

Folkerts, who played his high school ball at Hazelwood Central, has appeared in 28 regular-season games and three playoff contests over three NFL seasons. Picked up last November by the Rams, he played two games for the team last season.

Signed by the Rams on Aug. 4., Stoneburner appeared in 20 NFL games in stints with Green Bay and Miami.

The Rams also designated wide receiver Marquez North and fullback Zach Laskey as waived/injured. North is a rookie free agent; Laskey was on the Rams’ practice squad for the entire 2015 season.

Former Rams • Quarterback Austin Davis, who started eight games and had a pair of 300-yard passing days for the Rams in 2014, was released by Cleveland. Davis started two games for the Browns last season, but new coach Hue Jackson brought in a pair of new QBs — Robert Griffin III and draft pick Cody Kessler — making Davis expendable.

Davis saw only two series of action this preseason, completing four of nine passes for 32 yards against Green Bay.

Another ex-Ram cut Monday was tight end Matthew Mulligan by Detroit.

Former defensive mainstays among NFL cuts

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man that sucks cutting Coples, I actually thought that he was gonna tear it up playing opposite of Quinn!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Coples was a surprise cut.

they were moving him to DT, and through 2 preseason games he had 4 tackles, forced 2 fumbles and had a sack. not bad numbers from someone transitioning to a different position.

guess they felt they had enough depth at the DT position.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Easley, Thomas, Seau, and Longacre made Coples expendable and perhaps he'll return later. I thought Swindle played well enough to make the first round of cuts. I am surprised they continue to keep Battle and Williams on the O-line. Somebody apparently likes these two even though Williams totally sucked last week and we have yet to see Battle play any significant minutes.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that last game, Williams has to be gone in the next set of cuts. Maybe Battle gets more time in game 4?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Easley, Thomas, Seau, and Longacre made Coples expendable and perhaps he'll return later. I thought Swindle played well enough to make the first round of cuts. I am surprised they continue to keep Battle and Williams on the O-line. Somebody apparently likes these two even though Williams totally sucked last week and we have yet to see Battle play any significant minutes.
Coples was definitely the big surprise out of that group as I thought he was doing just fine. But I think you're right, that guys like Seau are playing probably better than people expected so it'd be easier to keep them on the cheap and cut the bigger money player.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like we are carrying 7 WR's: Britt, Austin, Cooper, Quick, Thomas, Spruce and Marquez

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like we are carrying 7 WR's: Britt, Austin, Cooper, Quick, Thomas, Spruce and Marquez
:gaah: I was hoping that we'd finally be rid of Quick and write him off as a bust.

To me, the biggest surprise on the list was Seau. I thought that he had a lot of potential to be a solid guy on the defensive line in time because there's a lot of really good talent there that he could learn from.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the complete list of cuts. Some of these guys I thought played well enough to make the roster. Don't quite get keeping Williams and Reynolds on the O-line on injured reserve, McRoberts and Williams at WR and cutting Seau, Fox on the D-line and Mike Jordon at D-back. The PS has not been formulated yet appraently. Perhaps some of these guys will be back there if and when they clear waivers.

Rams Make 53-Man Roster Decisions

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Cam Thomas was a keeper as a big road grader and Ayers was pretty much done at LB. They kept Forrest over Chubb. Again, perhaps several of these guys will end up on the PS.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I totally agree LTR. We spend more time acquiring worthless players and wasting draft picks.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah: I was hoping that we'd finally be rid of Quick and write him off as a bust.

To me, the biggest surprise on the list was Seau. I thought that he had a lot of potential to be a solid guy on the defensive line in time because there's a lot of really good talent there that he could learn from.

It wouldn't surprise me that once Cooper is healthy, Quick gets the boot.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man has not stopped dropping passes dating back to when he showed-up at the Rams camp for the first time. Quick is clearly another Isaiah Pead case. Flippin Snisher find these dolts, get attached to them in some sort of weird way, and then can't find the courage to cut their ridiculous asses when their play is clearly a joke!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man has not stopped dropping passes dating back to when he showed-up at the Rams camp for the first time. Quick is clearly another Isaiah Pead case. Flippin Snisher find these dolts, get attached to them in some sort of weird way, and then can't find the courage to cut their ridiculous asses when their play is clearly a joke!
And in Austin's case, gives them an unwarranted big money extension.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see Chubb, Fox, Seau and Jordan all gone in favor of guys like Grigsby, Littleton, and Hill. In the end, there just isn't any space to keep Fox and Seau with Donald, Quinn, Brockers, Hayes, Easley, Sims, Westbrooks and Longacre ahead of them.

That 7th WR is potential cut when Cooper gets healthy, could be Quick or someone else could get injured in the interim.

Kept a full 10 OL, even though I'm not even sure who Arkin and Murphy are lol.

4 TEs a bit of a surprise, but I guess they decided they had to keep Hemingway for now. He did show some ability if he can get over the drops (an unfortunate thread throughout this preseason, while a guy like McRoberts and his strong hands gets cut).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I agree with you on many of your points Shopson and the McRoberts cut was especially perplexing especially in light of the guys they kept. Hemmingway was another one that made little sense to keep. He didn't impress me during any of the games he played. Again, this pattern is somebody in the Snisher realm likes him and therefore that apparently trumps all obvious performance and talent combo logic.