• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could the Eagles be forced to choose between McCoy and Maclin?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds silly to me, but a story today suggests that Chip has suggested the team may not be able to keep both. I wonder if they are already building a narrative to get rid of McCoy.

Can Eagles afford to keep McCoy and Maclin?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can afford it unless they are NFL cap morons.

They aren't even paying any real QB contracts. And a bunch of the big money guys are dead weight at their price tags.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Polk was slow but after his 102 yard run and his goal line work I'm not sure McCoy is worth it. Beef up the oline and spend some money on other positions and it would have minimal impact trading him .

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, I said this months ago and many on this board thought I was nuts......No fuckin Way the Eagles pay Mccoy anywhere close to nearly 12 million.....Dude gets cut or traded long before that would happen. He will have to take a huge pay cut or he is gone. I expect maclin to either be signed or Franchise tagged.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCoy will be with another team next year unless he reconstructs his contract.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the sense that Chip wants a bigger power back, a one-cut downhill guy who sticks to his assignments. I wouldn't be surprised if the right guy for them is still on the board (let's say 3rd-4th round) they grab him. David Johnson, TJ Yeldon and Todd Gurley come to mind.

Having said that, I think McCoy comes back for one more season at a reduced rate while they groom his replacement.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell ya what I think....I think Chips guy is already on the roster....His name is Kenjon Barner in case you guys have forgotten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNfg3FierKE now what Barner has is Homerun speed....forget the 40 yard dash...barner gets faster after 40 yards, faster than everyone else. He just runs away from the defense. What Barner needed was 2 years in an NFL strength and conditioning program, to help him get bigger, stronger. Chip jumped at the chance to bring in his boy Barner, he is the lion cub waiting in the wings, no pun intended. Barner could also fill the Darren Sproles Role as Punt returner after Sproles contract is up. I fully expect Chip to either draft a Late RD RB, or bring in a few undrafted free agents hoping to find a diamond in the rough.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article doesn't do much beside speculate. It's click bait.

What is the actual cap situation? How will signing Maclin affect it?

Looking at FA how much do we have to spend? What might it cost to sign some of these guys?

What does the situation look like beyond next year, i.e. if Foles pans out what it might take to get him signed and it's impact on the cap.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems pretty obvious that while McCoy is a great back, he is actually a poor fit for this offense and I suspect not a great culture guy either. Add in the fact that he is overpaid and I really do think he goes elsewhere. He is a great fit for a scheme that lines up more in the eye and makes the outlet pass a larger part of the scheme. In the zone read, Polk executes it better. The issue there is that Polk can never say healthy. I would like to see the Eagles sign Ingram or Blount. They fit this offense better and would run half the cost.

McCoy would florish in a place like New Orleans. I can see half a dozen teams being interested in him. Even at his salary there may be a market for him. They could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

That said, its really not a salary cap issue or an either or situation. The Eagles are situated to keep anybody they want.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he goes to the Raiders in a draft time deal - maybe even part of a package to get Mariota. Agree with Wings about Barner, so even without drafting another guy we have Polk, Sproles for 1 or 2 more years, Barner, and Tucker, and other pickups or late round draftee.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see Chip moving out McCoy for Barner. That seems like some crazy talk to me. I don't think they will be forced to do anything. If they want to keep both they will. But no RB is worth 12 million a year in today's NFL. So if McCoy doesn't take a pay cut which I highly doubt he would. Then I can see McCoy gone.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing is this team is anywhere from 18-22 million under the cap for next year. That is with the follow players being overpaid

1. James Casey - 4 million to be a 3rd string tight end
2. Trent Cole - League average outside linebacker due 11 million
3. Cary Williams - Being paid like a number 1 corner more like an average number two 8.1 million
4. Brent Celek - Love Celek but 4.8 for a blocking tight end is too much money
5. Demeco Ryans - 6.9 million for a guy with a bad leg

Cut Casey and have Celek and Cole take pay cuts and bam you have your Maclin money

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCoy reportedly told reporters today that he is willing to redo his deal.

I think Chip doesn't like McCoy. That is speculation on my part, but Chip seems big on "culture" and I think Shady is a diva like Desean.

Maclin on the other hand sounds like a non-diva, especially for a receiver. I bet they pay Maclin and force Shady to take a big cut or walk.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are nuts.

McCoy isnt going anywhere. Barner? Dude got cut before the season started & played sparingly. He is a backup at best. Polk is ok but not proven to be a workhorse. Kinda has to prove he can even do 10 carries a game before missing time.

McCoy is dependable & still very very good. Chip had better like McCoy & it sure seems he does by how many fucking carries he gets...... The OL needs to stay healthy & we need a RG & way better depth. McCoy isnt a problem & even if he were his replacement is NOT on the roster IMO. His replacement has to be fairly proven before you just send McCoy to another team or cut him.

The problems on O are at QB & RG. Huff & Matthews maturing will improve the WRs. No need to touch the RBs for 1 more year. QB will be the hardest thing Chip has to do. Foles isnt the answer imo. Id rather draft Mariota & keep Sanchez for 1 more year. If Mariota is a stud, we'll be winning SBs. If he isnt, we'll still be not winning SBs. Id take the chance.

I see McCoy remaining an Eagle for at least the next 2 years but if he stays healthy he could be around much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally wouldn't be surprised if McCoy wasn't on the team when the season starts. I think McCoy is a good back but lost a little juice this year. He also looked more tentative than ever this past year -- it was very easy to bring him down. His cap number doesn't justify is play from this last year, will he regain form…maybe…maybe not. RBs are a dime a dozen, this is the new age NFL.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally wouldn't be surprised if McCoy wasn't on the team when the season starts. I think McCoy is a good back but lost a little juice this year. He also looked more tentative than ever this past year -- it was very easy to bring him down. His cap number doesn't justify is play from this last year, will he regain form…maybe…maybe not. RBs are a dime a dozen, this is the new age NFL.
Yep....:agree:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCoy wins his one on ones. That's what Chip likes in his players.