• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could be a little clue to Big 12 Expansion?

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAC's Aresco on UMass: 'We don't have any plans to expand'

By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer

March 29, 2014 3:55 pm ET
When the MAC announced that it and UMass's still-fledgling FBS football program would be going their separate ways after the 2015 season, the first question to surface after the surprise subsided was obvious: what are the Minutemen going to do now?

One possibility floated was a leap to the American, either as a full or football-only member, but AAC commissioner Mike Aresco told the Daily Hampshire Gazette Friday that expansion wasn't on the league's radar.
“We have a lot of respect for UMass. It's a flagship university, a high quality northeast presence. UMass has a lot of things going for it,” Aresco said. “We don't have any plans to expand.”
In typical commissioner-speak, Aresco wouldn't rule out expansion entirely, but said he was completely satisfied with the conference's planned 12-team football configuration for 2015. Tulane, East Carolina and and Tulsa will join the current eight-team league for the 2014 season, with Navy entering as a football-only member the following year.
"I don't know there's going to be much realignment the next few years,” Aresco told the Gazette. “We think we'll be a cohesive stable group of 12."
It's hard to argue the Minutemen would offer an immediate boost the AAC's on-field product, having gone 2-22 under Charley Molnar their first two FBS seasons. Molnar was fired in December and replaced by former FCS UMass head coach Mark Whipple.
In other words: never say never, but unless a current American program follows Rutgers' or Louisville's lead and gets a hoist up into a power conference, UMass should probably plan on looking elsewhere.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some thoughts here...

1. Araseco seemed very coy in his answer. What does he know? I think Cincinnati is leaving soon, and the AAC replacement is UMass. I have to think the Big 12 needs 12 teams to get a "legit" shot at the college football playoff. Cincinnati is a perfect fit, being a bridge between WVU and Iowa State.

2. I truly believe the other team is BYU. There's some grumblings about their bowl opportunities. Notice the Big 12 does not play on Sunday's.

3. If the Big 12 was wise, I'd honestly like to see an expansion to 14 or 16. UConn and Central Florida if 14, and adding South Florida and Memphis if 16. This gives insurance as I also look for the Big 12 to someday lose Iowa St. to the Big 10 and the ACC to lose Notre Dame in basketball only. This would bring the Big 10 to 16 schools. If Iowa St. is lost, SMU seems the next logical team to fill into the mix at the moment unless a team like Florida St. could get snatched up. Doubt that.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the conference leaders are telling the truth when they say there wont be movement for awhile. I believe we are about to see some big changes with the playoffs, NCAA rules, players being paid/unionizing ect.. and I think the P5 will sit tight until it all gets sorted out.

Thing is, the B12 could have had those schools already right? So no rush just yet again jmo, for the record if the B12 does decide to start adding more eastern schools we might see Penn as a name that hasn't been talked about much, they have the academics/TV market and play in a decent sized stadium compared to some of the other names thrown out there. Time will tell.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some thoughts here...

1. Araseco seemed very coy in his answer. What does he know? I think Cincinnati is leaving soon, and the AAC replacement is UMass. I have to think the Big 12 needs 12 teams to get a "legit" shot at the college football playoff. Cincinnati is a perfect fit, being a bridge between WVU and Iowa State.

2. I truly believe the other team is BYU. There's some grumblings about their bowl opportunities. Notice the Big 12 does not play on Sunday's.

3. If the Big 12 was wise, I'd honestly like to see an expansion to 14 or 16. UConn and Central Florida if 14, and adding South Florida and Memphis if 16. This gives insurance as I also look for the Big 12 to someday lose Iowa St. to the Big 10 and the ACC to lose Notre Dame in basketball only. This would bring the Big 10 to 16 schools. If Iowa St. is lost, SMU seems the next logical team to fill into the mix at the moment unless a team like Florida St. could get snatched up. Doubt that.

Never happen...it would dilute the schools payout in a big way.......

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nobody out there who would add value to the league. Having Ollie on the NCG playoff committee will help reduce the sting from not having a conference Championship game. If that became an issue, I bet that the B12 would lobby for a CCG game with only 10 teams rather than add a Cincy/UConn/USF to the mix.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nobody out there who would add value to the league.

I definitely think BYU does. If you add one, a 12th makes sense, and it would be Cincy.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I definitely think BYU does. If you add one, a 12th makes sense, and it would be Cincy.

They should have brought in WVU, UL and Cinci all at the time we joined, they all add value, plus they would have been back to 12 teams, and we would have some travel partners much closer to home. I think BYU adds a great deal of value, they are a national team and a national brand. If I were the B12 brass, I would be trying to talk to Arkansas too, may or may not go anywhere, but I know a few ARK fans who would love to be back. I know the B12 needs to make a move before they become the next BE!!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have brought in WVU, UL and Cinci all at the time we joined, they all add value, plus they would have been back to 12 teams, and we would have some travel partners much closer to home. I think BYU adds a great deal of value, they are a national team and a national brand. If I were the B12 brass, I would be trying to talk to Arkansas too, may or may not go anywhere, but I know a few ARK fans who would love to be back. I know the B12 needs to make a move before they become the next BE!!!

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall Texas or OU being in the Big East......

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems these two articles tend the point the same way; that the Big 12 is dead man walking IF and I mean IF they don't expand, but also has the potential with the deep pockets of their fanbases to be great IF they can get to 12 or 14 schools. Personally, I think adding two schools NOW makes the Big 12 VIABLE to get 1 or 2 MORE "big boys" on the next wave of expansion. Those first two schools seem to be in this order in my opinion:

1. Cincinnati
2. Brigham Young
3. UConn
4. Central Florida
5. South Florida

Also, in my opinion, if the Big 12 does not expand, and we end up in the 4 super conference model with only 16 teams per conference, WVU could (not will, could) get left out. That's near blasphemy, and I'd hope it did not happen and I think the odds are in our favor, but it could happen. We need the Big 12 to succeed as a fifth power conference.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the current Big12 is as previously stated - there are 4 playoff spots. There are 4 power conferences with a CCG (everyone but the B12). Who do you think gets the playoff nod? An 11-1 B12 team or a 12-1 or 11-2 winner of a power conference championship game? Or will it be an ESPN wet dream - the top 4 finishers in the SEC? :bawling:

Either way - I see the B12 coming up short unless we have a dominating, undefeated team.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a CCG does not in itself give a conference an advantage. In fact, it might eliminate a contender. Look at what happened to tOSU last season. Until last year, the ACC champion would not have been in position to earn a spot in the playoff despite having a CCG.

The Big 12 is taking a calculated risk. It crowns a true round robin champion most years. By playing each team, the conference members are guaranteed of playing 9 games against what used to be referred to as AQ teams. Conference members from the Big 12 will likely have solid RPI as a result.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that a round-robin conference reflects the true strength of the conference and the eventual winner - I am not sure others see it that way. When talking of the power5 conferences, most see them as basically equal overall - with the SEC getting the strength edge. IMO - not having enough teams to hold a CCG is a negative, at least from a perception standpoint. And if it comes down to 2 undefeated SEC in their CCG - both could get slots in the playoff, given the bias to SEC dominance. Then there are 4 conferences with 3 CCG winners vying for 2 slots. Again, unless the b12 has an undefeated dominant - we will likely come up short. Shouldn't be like that - but this is college football after all. Bias, predjudice and opinion rule.....

Bottom line: despite the hit to the financial bottom line - expand now and make a run at a big name team in one of the 4 majors. The B12 needs to make a statement that they are positioning themselves to compete toe-to-toe with the other power conferences. Right now, most people would probably rank us 4th or 5th.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, forgot to mention the biggest thing a CCG brings to conference - prestige and attention.
Everyone around the conference points to their CCG as a huge event - even if their team isn't in it.
It is a showcase, a recruiting tool and a money maker. It puts the conferences best foot forward.
With the season over for many teams - everyone is watching the CCG's.

The Big12 is missing out on some very important primetime publicity that the other P5 have as an advantage over us.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the selection committee gives us some info to digest, we have little to go on to form our opinion.

What the committee has stated it will do, has been digested. It appears their decision making will mirror that of the NCAA. SOS and RPI will play more important roles in the decision of which 4 teams are invited to the playoffs.

A CCG will not always improve the champion's SOS. Look at the ACC and Big 12 when a weak North champion played in the CCG some years.