• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conte gone

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not much of surprise.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we pretty much knew this would happen after the draft. New guy wants his peeps in there.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had expected Shero to have been around the league and have enough experience to realize keeping Conte was the best option.

I guess I was wrong.

Now we have to hope he learned a lot about putting together a strong scouting team in his year off since he was clueless about anything scouting when he was in Pittsburgh.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People lost their minds when Tom Landry got fired from the Cowboys but it was time to move on. The team got stale, the game had passed him by, it was time for a new mind. Lou and Conte were great, I love them and as a Devils fan you have to celebrate them. But the changing of the guard was due. It happens all the time in sports. No matter how great you are eventually the game passes you by.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shero's off season just went from mediocre to superb.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow can't say I'm shocked but reading it in print is still shocking.

Guy was here for 31 years he's done his job retire let someone else do it. There are 29 other teams with scouts I'm sure we will find someone who is qualified.

Incredible how fast this team turned around.

I'm going to guess that lou and his "president" title means squat. I bet lou "retires" after this season to save face

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kinda sad too. Lou and conte gone I feel like the 90s officially died for me today lol

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Terreri is still around. One guy from the 90s.

Agree on Lou. I wasn't sure what was going to happen when he stepped down from GM, but told everyone that is isn't going anywhere. Shero is running the ship now.

Then again, who knows. Shero might have approached him about Conte and Lou could have agreed his last decade of drafting was nothing to brag about.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be smart to keep Lou around. While he may not have the eye for talent he once did he's still one of the most well connected guys in the business. Example, Lou has ton's of connections in the NCAA, that's his bread and butter. If Shero is well connected somewhere else (QMJHL/OHL/CHL wherever), you have now cast your net of scouts/allies even further. So while Lou may not be hand picking players he can still make phone calls and reach out to his buddies to help Shero out.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Right. Even though last few years have been tough, Lou did make some good moves. I hope Shero keeps that secrecy at least to a point. When Lou made that trade for Kovy, it was out of no where. When he traded for Schneider at the draft, again out of no where. I was a fan of that. You look at the Rangers, and when they got Nash, it was expected and talked about for months. Lot of their moves are predictable. Shero did pull that off with the Palmieri deal to an extent.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I prefer Lou's style w/ no information leaks.

Shero so far has seemed like a fool when talking about all the trades and signings he had setup that fell through. Do we really care if he tried to get #16 from edmonton or anaheim's later pick when we ended up not getting anything?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Lou's style w/ no information leaks.

Shero so far has seemed like a fool when talking about all the trades and signings he had setup that fell through. Do we really care if he tried to get #16 from edmonton or anaheim's later pick when we ended up not getting anything?

Where did you read this?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I remember him saying he was open to options. But everyone says that. Even Lou would say it.
Don't remember any detailed trades or signings that fell through. I could be missing something.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
there are pro/con to the "secrecy" that lou had though.

you look at the rangers and the nash trade. everyone in the hockey world was talking about it for days/weeks until the trade went through.

even with the kovy contract saga it made for great entertainment and the nhl world was talking about us in the summer when in reality we usually register no more then a blip on the radar then florida would. annnnnnnnnnnd this is with us playing in one of the biggest markets in the country. you can't buy that type of coverage and interest

yes i realize it was a bad situation with the contract but i'm a believer in any coverage is good coverage. i also like to know that the gm is actually trying and doing something. how many deadlines or july 1st's would come and go without anything? was lou even trying? i want to know. contract extensions? was he talking to parise in February of his final year? no? i want to know.

i know its a business and all that but still if your asking us to devote 82 nights for hockey & paying insane amount of money to go watch them then we are entitled to knowing what is being done.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where did you read this?

the only thing i remember reading was they talked to columbus about trading back but when hanifan didn't fall then the trade fell through. but i do want to know that he was interested in moving back because honestly it did make sense to move back IMO. esp if hanifan fell it was clear columbus would've taken him and the flyers desperate for defense probably would've taken that kid columbus took wereskini? (sp) leaving us a good shot at zacha still