• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Come Back Nabby?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They are claiming it as family reason as to why he was released. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with the capitals or the lighting

Bowlby

The DON
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
never thought I would want him back... but I do

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well his family is back in the bay area, and he still has his house here in San Jose. Nabby could sign a cheap deal.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nabby is not the answer to this team's problems.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - Nabby did pretty well during the regular season but when crunch time comes up he's a tuna out of water bouncing around letting in weak shots.

Destroydacre sums it up pretty well...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still dont understand why everyone gets on nabby for the teams playoff failures when his postseason numbers arent bad at all... Is everyone blind that the sharks scoring usually drops off a ton in the playoffs and there PP goes to complete crap?? He may let in a softie and lose the game 2-1 but come on man, do you really expect him to allowed 0 or 1 goal every playoffs game?? Goaltending was NEVER this teams problem in the playoffs, he's just the team scapegoat. Chicago won the Cup with Niemi posting like a 3.41GAA in the finals, Montreal got bouced with Halek being unstoppable - why?? Cause Chicago could score, montreal couldnt, and come playoffs SJ never can eaither... I would take him back ina heartbeat... Nabby & Nitty, ship Niemi off somewhere for anything...

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"the sharks scoring usually drops off a ton in the playoffs"

Everyone's scoring drops off a bit in the playoffs, on average. You play the same team a minimum of 4 times, the intensity is higher, and the play is tighter... not to mention the refs switch to "playoff mode". Mistakes, and especially untimely ones, become magnified a great deal in the playoffs. Its doesn't mean its all his fault - but it does mean that when the time came he didn't help either.

"He may let in a softie"

Yup - and he let in several. Again - not entirely his fault on every occasion. However, in the playoffs EVERYONE is going to get challenged and you rely on guys to step up and make a play. This is either a couple of big/key saves or a couple of key goals to makeup for a mistake earlier. We failed in both areas.

"do you really expect him to allowed 0 or 1 goal every playoffs game?"

No - that is unreasonable. However, if you team is having trouble scoring against a defensive juggernaut like Chicago and you are only getting 1-2 goals out of your offense.. then your choices are let in less than two, or go home. Especially true when you are a $5mill goaltender that we have emptied the wallet for. Same goes for Marleau - and the other high paid guys in my book.

"I would take him back ina heartbeat"

And we would have lost even more players we could not afford... It was time for him to go for a number of reasons, not all of them related to his playoff performance - at least I hope not.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's much better than what the Sharks currently have. When it comes to ability level Niemi and Niittymaki shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentance as Nabokov. He always gave the team a chance to win and that's what you want from your goalie in the PO. He also stole a lot more games then most give him credit for.

caliraftdude said:
And we would have lost even more players we could not afford... It was time for him to go for a number of reasons, not all of them related to his playoff performance - at least I hope not.

Nabokov and his agent Don Meehan did an interview with a Russian media outlet shortly after arriving there in which they talked about Nabby's willingness to take a 50% pay cut to stay in San Jose. That would have put him close to $2.5m. The Sharks entered the season with close to $1.0m in cap space remaining so they could have afforded to keep him without loosing anyone else.

All that said, I would not want him back with the Sharks as a player. His insistance on playing so many games was his only drawback and in the end was his downfall in San Jose. I'd take him as a goalie coach should he choose to go that direction after he retires.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah i think he would be good in that roll as a goalie coach. As long as he understands the game has changed and would incorporate the Bfly and downward mobility into his coaching.

However he did have a suspect blocker for years and that wont help Niemi. I think if anyhting he could do wonders for someone like Knitting Monkey because he does tend to be weak on his angles at times.

I still say he lands with the Caps with Neivurth going back to Hershy, or he ends up in Tampa with Mike Smith getting waived

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still say he lands with the Caps with Neivurth going back to Hershy, or he ends up in Tampa with Mike Smith getting waived

Possibly. Meehan has already come out and said he's been contacted by three teams about Nabby. Only confirmed one is Yzerman in TB has said he's inquired about Nabby.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Possibly. Meehan has already come out and said he's been contacted by three teams about Nabby. Only confirmed one is Yzerman in TB has said he's inquired about Nabby.

The Cap's swear up and down they want to go with the kid's, but with their losing streak the way it is and the goalies being a primary part of the problem. I can't see them not going after Nabby if they want to make a run for the cup.

It would probably do wonders for Varly, if Nabby could accept a mentor type roll with that team. Is Ottawa the third team? Leclaire and Elliot have both been up and down

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Cap's swear up and down they want to go with the kid's, but with their losing streak the way it is and the goalies being a primary part of the problem. I can't see them not going after Nabby if they want to make a run for the cup.

It would probably do wonders for Varly, if Nabby could accept a mentor type roll with that team. Is Ottawa the third team? Leclaire and Elliot have both been up and down

Nabokov's European rep for Meehan is now claiming TB and Was are interested.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Something else to consider is once Nabokov signs a contract he must pass through waivers before he can be added to an NHL roster. The CBA is a bit vague on this and it's the 1st time I've ever seen a contract canceled by the Euro club but article 13.23 states:

CBA said:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

I believe this would apply to Nabokov's situation so even if Washington signed him they may still loose him to TB because of waivers.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wonder if Tampa had to choose between Nabby and say Neuvirth who'd they take

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nabokov and his agent Don Meehan did an interview with a Russian media outlet shortly after arriving there in which they talked about Nabby's willingness to take a 50% pay cut to stay in San Jose. That would have put him close to $2.5m. The Sharks entered the season with close to $1.0m in cap space remaining so they could have afforded to keep him without loosing anyone else.

Good data - I was not aware of that.

That being said, Niemi looked like garbage for most of last year and tuned up significantly in the playoffs. Honestly, I think this is because of an excellent defense and a team all working together.