• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cold weather car repairs

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still in the 30's in this area and I absolutely HAVE to get out and change out some u-joints on my truck. I friggin' hate rolling around on the cold ground. Seriously considering starting the truck and idling until the exhaust gets hat before crawling under it.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love it, half frozen hands and the knuckles get smashed...sounds like fun times lay ahead...enjoy.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
That sucks,
Are they on the driveshaft, or front axle?
If it's driveshaft, at least you can pull the shaft and bring them in where it's warm.

(I just read again, you're going under truck)

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, an hour pulling the drive shaft, broken retainer clips and the cold. And that was the good news. As I was getting ready to put it all back together, I find the parts store gave me the wrong u joints. AND, they are closed today. Tomorrow calls for slightly colder temps, and snow showers....

This is why I usually pay someone to do my work. But I just paid the local Ford place over $300 for new coils and an oil change on Thursday.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Man, an hour pulling the drive shaft, broken retainer clips and the cold. And that was the good news. As I was getting ready to put it all back together, I find the parts store gave me the wrong u joints. AND, they are closed today. Tomorrow calls for slightly colder temps, and snow showers....

This is why I usually pay someone to do my work. But I just paid the local Ford place over $300 for new coils and an oil change on Thursday.

Bastards!!
It's always a crap shoot with those folks behind the counter.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always buy new parts with the old parts in hand.
Is this your first rodeo or something?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, good luck.
I have had such bad luck with part stores in the past that I never go get a new part without the old one in hand.

Hell, I have even had the parts clerk show me where they typed everything into the computer correctly and the part that came up wasn't the part that was in my hand. Go figure. So It's not always the guy behind the counter, but I suspect it is most of the time.

I give it about a 50/50 shot that it's right when I get home, without the old part with me.