• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cody Ross

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is somebody gets "injured" until September 1.

Didn't even think of that gp, good call. I think we have a winner. Hopefully it is Guillen then with his hamstring, but I'm guessing he'll have too much pride in order to let that happen.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the end of Blowand?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have a full 40-man roster, so SOMEONE will be DFA's unless someone like Hinshaw or Pucetas gets REALLY hurt tonight and needs to go on the 60-day...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. We placed a claim to block the Padres from getting him, and Florida just gave him to us.

I have seen reported in a few places (Wiki, DrB's Blog, etc) that we DFA'd Downs to make room on the 40-man. I have not been able to find this transaction posted anywhere that I would consider official, though...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No. We placed a claim to block the Padres from getting him, and Florida just gave him to us.

I have seen reported in a few places (Wiki, DrB's Blog, etc) that we DFA'd Downs to make room on the 40-man. I have not been able to find this transaction posted anywhere that I would consider official, though...

Bags tweeted that Downs was DFA'd

Andrew Baggarly (extrabaggs) on Twitter

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Baggs tweeted that Mota goes on the DL with IT Band syndrome (knee pain). Thought the Giants might throw a curve and DL a pitcher to clear space for Ross.

ElJimador

Keepin it Real
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm surprised Downs was the one DFA'ed and not Hinshaw. Granted, Downs' numbers have regressed a bit in Fresno and I imagine there are now a few guys who have now moved ahead of him in the 2B/utility pecking order. Still, he did a fairly decent job for the Giants when they needed him earlier this year and what has Hinshaw ever shown except that he absolutely cannot throw strikes even if you put a gun to his head?

They've already got Affeldt under contract next year and Runzler's pre-arb so he's not going anywhere. I suppose they could non-tender Lopez who has 1 year of arbitration eligibility remaining, and Dontrelle Willis is a FA after this year so who knows if the project of trying to turn him into a reliever will continue with the Giants. Still, if they know they've at least got Affeldt and Runzler returning then what do they still want Hinshaw for? Especially if, like this year, they aren't even going to bring him up when both Affeldt and Runzler go down but are going to make a trade instead because they don't have any confidence in him? Doesn't make any sense to me.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised Downs was the one DFA'ed and not Hinshaw. Granted, Downs' numbers have regressed a bit in Fresno and I imagine there are now a few guys who have now moved ahead of him in the 2B/utility pecking order. Still, he did a fairly decent job for the Giants when they needed him earlier this year and what has Hinshaw ever shown except that he absolutely cannot throw strikes even if you put a gun to his head?

They've already got Affeldt under contract next year and Runzler's pre-arb so he's not going anywhere. I suppose they could non-tender Lopez who has 1 year of arbitration eligibility remaining, and Dontrelle Willis is a FA after this year so who knows if the project of trying to turn him into a reliever will continue with the Giants. Still, if they know they've at least got Affeldt and Runzler returning then what do they still want Hinshaw for? Especially if, like this year, they aren't even going to bring him up when both Affeldt and Runzler go down but are going to make a trade instead because they don't have any confidence in him? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree ElJ, there do seem to be better choices (or at the very least choice) to DFA. I honestly think that the Giants kind of got caught with their pants down here. They must have really thought that the Marlins would pull him back. Still, you'd think the Giants brass would have assumed this possibility. Maybe they did though and this truly is the route they wanted to take. Time will tell I guess.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'd give a lefty who can throw mid 90's every chance to learn to throw strikes. Fontenot made Downs expendable, plus I'm assuming Gillaspie, Burriss, Rohlinger, and Crawford all need spots in AAA next year (I'm think Noonan stays in AA).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give a lefty who can throw mid 90's every chance to learn to throw strikes. Fontenot made Downs expendable, plus I'm assuming Gillaspie, Burriss, Rohlinger, and Crawford all need spots in AAA next year (I'm think Noonan stays in AA).

Than where does Culberson go?

I expect Noonan in Fresno and Culberson in Richmond, with either able to to move up or down accordingly...

I posted elsewhere (forget where) that I like Downs, but I like Downs like I liked Denker. Good kid, but he is really a dime a dozen...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Than where does Culberson go?

I expect Noonan in Fresno and Culberson in Richmond, with either able to to move up or down accordingly...

I posted elsewhere (forget where) that I like Downs, but I like Downs like I liked Denker. Good kid, but he is really a dime a dozen...

Forgot about Culberson. I don't think Noonan spends the whole year in AA, but he's still young for the league and probably needs a bit more maturing. Of course, I'm out of my comfort zone when talking about the minor leagues. I agree that Downs types are not in short supply.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BAM!! Post...of...the...day.

My thoughts exactly.