• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cody Reed

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In still one more feeble attempt to get anybody to give a shit about baseball, I will post this based on what I heard on a sports radio program about Cody Reed.

Reed evidently is on a very short list to make the Reds this spring, probably ahead of Stephenson.

As a lefty, he's a freth of bresh air ... since I don't think I can stand another summer of Cingrani.

REED'S NUMBERS

BASEBALL PROSPECTUS

Say ... what?

In 2000, the last time the Reds had six players in Baseball America’s Top 100, Gookie Dawkins led the list of Reds players as the No. 21 overall prospect. That list also included Drew Henson (24), Ed Yarnall (55), Adam Dunn (56), Rob Bell (59) and Jackson Melian (72). In 1993, Willie Greene was rated the No. 24 prospect, followed by John Roper (36), Pokey Reese (48), Chad Mottola (71), Steve Gibralter (79) and Dan Wilson (91).

19440672904_6bfd5bdf4e_k_5r473uw2_8iey655t.jpg

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to put to much stock in prospect rankings as some of the examples show. Many more fall short of reaching their projected ceilings than the small percentage of prospects that actually meet or exceed them. For every Mike Trout there's a long list of Brandon Larsons at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Everything you read suggest Cody Reed has come a long way in a short time since being drated out of JC. Often players make a big jump and are near their ceiling. Stephenson on the other hand has progressed slower, but hasn't had that leap forward type moment. He may never make the jump to dominant #1, but he's still the guy with the greatest potential leading into 2016.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Stephenson has all the tools but still lacks consistent command. In Cincy, that would be a recipe for about 44 home runs, I suppose.
Truthfully, there is a Hall of Famer coming out of the minors about once every 2 years and nearly all of them just miss the Hall. Greatness has pretty high standards. We usually settle for Aaron Harang while hoping for somebody a little better.
What we hope to achieve is to find 5 or 6 pretty good regular .280 hitters who can play 150 games a year. That means the team can be in contention through August, maybe win 93 games and get a shot at the brass balls. I think all teams are looking for that though some are lucky enough to be able to skirt the process and sign the talent from the free agency wire.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"What we hope to achieve is to find 5 or 6 pretty good regular .280 hitters who can play 150 games a year"

I'd say. I don't think the Reds have had 5-6 guys that hit .260 or better in the same lineup in several decades, much less .280.

Before Votto, they didn't have a single guy with a chance at .300, since Larkin and Casey left.

Todd Frazier may have been the biggest "better as a Red than as a Reds farmhand" ever (from a power perspective) ..and Frazier's lifetime BA is....yep, .257

Our Reds don't have a clue about hitting, and haven't for a long time. Joey Votto's Momma (genetics) had more to do with his hitting than the Reds have. The Reds minor league coaches and hitting instructors should hire some Charlie Lau disciple and take some night classes.