• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches grades

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OC: positives around shotty are a rare thing, but he called a pretty decent game yesterday. Getting everyone involved and spreading around the ball. We all witnessed an attempt to get Austin involved more in space. Other than the scoring play by TA they kept him pretty bottled up.

Even though I thought Brian called an okay game yesterday there definitely were decisions that directly led to our demise. While San Diego’s defense isn’t a top 5 defense they certainly are well coached and play with a lot of effort. I think they are actually ranked around 9th or 10th in total defense allowed in the NFL. One of my main problems is our lack or adjusting to what the defense is doing. In the 2nd half SD blitzed 45% of time and we seemed to be completely unprepared for it. It’s the same story week after week, teams blitz the rams and we do nothing to counter their blitzes. No max protect, no screens, no sweeps, no draw plays and no quick slants. The only play that Brian seemed to call was the end around to TA. Which is great and all but teams will eventually figure it out. My biggest issue with yesterday was the final drive…

Down by 3 points
You’re 1st and goal on the 4 yard line with about 1 minute to go….
San Diego has all 3 time outs and the Rams have 1.
1st down called an outside running play with Cunningham. Good call. Got down to the 2 yard line.
Also made the Chargers use one of their timeouts.

2nd down. Passing play, 3 wide and Benny in the backfield…. Interception. And a bad one at that.

Conclusion, Schotty should be bitch slapped in the face by Mike Martz with his Superbowl ring turned in and Fisher should be bent over Adrian Peters knee and spanked with a switch bare bottomed.
I know some of you don’t mind the passing call there. But I do!!! Here’s why.

You’re down by 3 and on the 4 yardline with a little over a minute left and you have a time out. At worst you tie the game and go into OT. But under all circumstances you make SD at least use 2 if not all of their timeouts and not turn the ball over!!! You can’t give the ball back to Phillip Rivers with more than 45 seconds on the clock and a timeout or two with the game tied. 80% of the time he’ll get his kicker within field goal range and send us home losers.
You run, run, run, if you score a FG at least you tie the game and you have momentum on your side going into OT. If you score a TD on 3rd down at least you made them use 1 or 2 of their timeouts so it makes it nearly impossible for them to go down and score a TD. Yes, I know Hill threw a terrible INT that even a rookie QB shouldn’t make. But hey, so did Rivers in the 1st quarter for a pick 6! My point is, shit happens! It’s the playcallers job to know the high risk plays and not to put our players in that position. Not to mention the Chargers called the perfect play there, most likely because our playcalling is so damn predictable.

OC’s grade: D+

DC: The positives, in the first half our Defense kept the chargers off balance by giving Rivers a ton of different looks and blitz schemes. We sacked him 2 times in the first half even though they were mostly calling 3 step drops and draw running plays. Which was smart on their part. We gave up a lot of ground but stiffened in the redzone and came up with some nice plays. Like JJ’s pick 6.

Negatives, and here we go…in the 2nd half they flashed a stat that said Williams was calling blitzes 64% percent of the time in yesterdays game. 64-f’ing-percent!!!!! WTF? Seriously? Phillip Rivers literally took our defense, rolled it up, and smoked it in the 2nd half. Their offense adjusted to what Williams was doing and made him look bad. Really bad. I have a hard time believing that our defense needs to blitz on almost every down to be successful. More times than not it’s proven to get us into trouble when teams adjust to what we’re doing. I’m all for blitzing an opponent as long as it’s working. But when it’s not CHANGE up your freakin game plan dude. What drives crazy is even the announcers knew that blitzing Rivers usually doesn’t work. Everyone knows except...Our DC. Someone please tie him down and shave off that ridiculous French tickler.

DC grade: F+

ST: I really don’t have any complaints. I think the blocked fg call was on the refs. Our return teams continue to impress even tho the refs continue to ruin it for TA.

ST grade: B+

HC: Fisher is starting to concern me a bit. I’ve always supported him because I like his candor and how he expresses himself. But I feel like he’s either controlling too much or too little of the game. I honestly do not know the true answer because I’m not down on the field hearing what plays are being called. But I will say, if he’s letting Williams or Schott call the plays the way they want and he’s not putting in his 2 cents then he needs to be replaced. These have been continuous issues for the Rams. Whether its penalties, stupid play calling of both sides of the ball or not knowing how to coach up high draft picks. There are reasons why he’s been known as the 8-8 coach and now I think I’m starting to see the light.

HC grade: C-

:bawling:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only grade I slightly disagree with was for the DC. I would give maybe a C or C-. That 3rd quarter was horrible play calling but we were able to hold them to a 3 and out at the end of the game when we needed it the most.