• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Clown Fish vs Ill tempered water fowl

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jones vs Andersson

Wonder how many cheap shot dirty plays Corey perry is going for tonight

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh and fatally injured Slivfberg is magically healthy enough to play tonight

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to start the season against the two most doushe baggiest teams in the league...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok let's see how they are at the 20 game mark lol Jones i think they did it right, and Martin and Ward looking good so far

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just got back from the game a bit ago...man, things feel pretty different... some observations:

Positive:

1. The newcomers!!! Ward was awesome in all 3 zones. Martin made at least a dozen subtely intelligent plays, particularly in the neutral and defensive zone. little poke checks, body positioning, smart little 10 foot passes to break out. He is seriously good. And, of course, Jones who was awesome in the 1st and most of the second before the sharks took over. So far, all three acquisitions have been better than expected for me.

2. Depth. 2 games, 3 lines have scored, 6 different goal scorers including the D. Hell even the 4th line was pretty respectable and got a few chances playing 10+ mins. That usage of all 4 lines will make a huge difference down the road. no forward has played 20+ mins in either game so far, and marleau is the only one to play 19+ in a game. and NO D has eclipsed 25 mins. Deboer is using the whole bench which leads to...

3. Third period dominance. They look fresh, sharp, and continue attacking even in the 3rd period with a lead. I have yet to see the dreaded prevent defense, dump it out and hang back crap that would inevitable bite them in the ass. Countless games lost i nthe 3rd last year, and so far 2 for 2 on dominating the 3rd period and extending leads.

4. Goaltending is so so big. I know I mentioned jones earlier, but you can see the confidence the D has in him. His cool, calm, doesnt overplay and is always in great position for a rebound or follow up shot. He made several 2nd and 3rd saves, something that Nemo seemingly never did. Two games is two games, but Jones has basically not given up a goal (the only goal on the 1st shot of the year was and impossible tip), so his shutout strak is upwards of 115+ mins.

5. Deboer is passing so far with flying colors. The PK has been perfect (though the one today was hairy a few times). The PP looks good. his use of the bench has been great as the guys have looked fresh late in games. His pressure style is showing in all three zones and the sharks seem to rarely hang back. They are really pushing.

6. Great to see patty rewarded as he was a great player tonight. He even had a few good battle in the D zone to get 50-50 pucks out.

Negatives:

1. the goal song blows. So the guy who wrote the hey song is a bad man, whatever, I want my hey song back!

2. Sharks were still a little sloppy with turnovers, especially early in the game. Jones (and the crossbar) bailed them out on several occasions, but they will need to guarantee pucks out. I also think they iced the puck 10 times on bad passes. Little details to clean up as the year goes on.

Overall, they look great top to bottom. My only fear remains D depth, as I can see how good the top 4 D have been, and while Dillon and Tennyson have held their own, neither belongs in the top 4, so one injury to a top 4 D could revolutionize the team for the worst. Here's hoping that doesnt happen :-)

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I like the difference in approach with Deboer, no playing favorites and overplaying the top 2 lines. I'm sure that's a confidence boost for the lower lines that they can make a mistake and won't get benched. Glad to see that happening.

I really wanted Talbot but I think Jones may be a better more atheletic version of Brayden Holtby. His down mobility and agility while in the butterfly position is phenomal for a man his size, also he's really good and tracking pucks in tight on his skates while he's standing, that's difficult for the taller goalies. You can see some of Bill Ranfords influence in his save techniques