• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clifford - Deal in place?

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell could any of you think Clifford would get over 2 million a year at this stage in his career? lol

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's top six material :lol:

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure we were talking annual salary, not total compensation. At least that was my understanding, in which case we both missed by a mile.

That was my understanding as well. And all you mooks (Puck's word) chiming in now with how far off we were, where were your comments BEFORE the contract was announced?! :noidea:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell could any of you think Clifford would get over 2 million a year at this stage in his career? lol

Because teams lock up their players who they think have potential.

How did Tyler Myers get a 7 year/$38.5 million deal at age 21 and still having two years left on his ELC?

Clifford is held high in the Kings' organization, and I think he will be talked about soon by Dumbo to step it up a bit. He's got more to give and needs a push.

If he does that, he will get a much larger contract - more along the lines I mentioned - on the next deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my understanding as well. And all you mooks (Puck's word) chiming in now with how far off we were, where were your comments BEFORE the contract was announced?! :noidea:

Exactly, I didn't see anyone else putting it on the line. People usually wait for me to predict and then chime in, what I've noticed over the years. More often than not I am very close or nail it too - this one I just over valued Clifford.

It's all in fun anyway, so predict away.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have been pretty off the last few years, lol.

As far as Myers goes, I have no idea how you make the comparison.

First of all, I know you know you can not sign a new deal till you are in the last year of a deal. He signed that deal durning training camp of the last year of his entry level contract.

Also, before he signed that contract, he had put up 48 points(11 G 37 A) in 82 games as a rookie defenseman and followed that up with 37 points (10 G 27 A) in 80 games. He also won the calder trophy. He didn't regress till after signing that deal.

Myers put up 85 points in his first two years which was 1 less that Doughty did in his first two years (86)

Compare that to Clifford who has scored a career high of 14 points. Granted he tied that career high this year so would have broken that but still, he hasn't come CLOSE to what Myers did before he got his deal.

If anything, all you did was prove why you don't want to overpay too early, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was teams lock up players long term before they become too expensive and have to overpay for them.

Kopitar's huge deal looked ridiculous when it was initially signed, but he obviously not only lived up to it but he could easily get more on the open market now (BTW - I nailed that contract at the time). Comparing Myers to Clifford was not for statistical purposes but to demonstrate teams take those risks on very young players.

But if you want to compare apples to apples, let's go back to Clarkson - his second deal was 3 years/$8 million ($2.67 million per season). That was after his career high in points was 22 and second year in the league, which Clifford very well might have hit this season. He didn't hit the 30 goal mark until he was in the second year of that three year deal.

He was a GIII UFA yes, but obviously the Devils saw something in him to give him that type of money. I don't think Clifford getting that type of money is far off at all, and it's going to happen sooner than you want to believe.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I think Clifford has a much higher level to go then he is currently at, but he really hasnt shown all that much. He has looked great at times (2011 playoffs vs the Sharks, a period of time this season) but he isnt there yet. He could be a 2nd line winger. Right now hes basically on t he 4th line and isn't even an every day player right now.