• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Claude Giroux Snubbed Of Being Finalist For Selke

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Anze Kopitar's game when he's on but I watched him this season and he was not as good as he was in previous seasons - Claude Giroux was so good defensively this season and his faceoffs were outstanding - he was right with Patrice Bergeron in the top two of a lot of faceoff stats and when you compare him and Anze Kopitar's stats, G's offensive game was better, the +/- was pretty much identical and G was about 4% better on faceoffs

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toews, Kopitar, and Bergeron could have been playing in Switzerland this season and still gotten nominations. The Selke is the biggest reputation award in the league

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toews, Kopitar, and Bergeron could have been playing in Switzerland this season and still gotten nominations. The Selke is the biggest reputation award in the league

There are many players worthy of being in the top three and it doesn't have to be the same three every year

I guess people don't think of Claude Giroux as a great defensive player

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many players worthy of being in the top three and it doesn't have to be the same three every year

I guess people don't think of Claude Giroux as a great defensive player

Not being used on the pk as much This year probably hurt him. Bellemare, vandevelde, read, and coots handled most of the Pk work if memory serves.

Edit: yep, only 8th among forwards in average short handed toi per game on the team. Prolly not enough for selke consideration.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being used on the pk as much This year probably hurt him. Bellemare, vandevelde, read, and coots handled most of the Pk work if memory serves.

Edit: yep, only 8th among forwards in average short handed toi per game on the team. Prolly not enough for selke consideration.

Yeah he didn't play very much shorthanded, but I don't think that should necessarily be counted against him - he won about 58% of his faceoffs shorthanded while Couts was only 49% and PEB about 44% - it shows that if he was on shorthanded more that the Flyers would have been better

Jonathan Toews only had 78 shorthanded faceoffs so if we're going by that logic, then the PK thing shouldn't really be a concern

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you look at things like zone starts and quality of competition? Couturier did the heavy lifting in those regards for the Flyers. Bergeron for the Bruins. Toews was down in those areas as the Blackhawks had strong defensive 3rd and 4th lines this year. Bergeron should win easily. Giroux isn't sniffing the top 3 for me, although I do agree that I saw a more consistent defensive effort from him than I've seen in years past, when I wanted to put my foot in his ass at times for coasting defensively.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux is not in the top 10 in defensive play in the NHL and never will be.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's quick chart I did showing some key defensive stats for the players being discussed. Couldn't get it to post correctly except as an attachment. Sorry.

Attachments

• 3828_001.pdf
    13.6 KB · Views: 15

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the PK stinking as bad as it did, it helped him to has less PK time.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the PK stinking as bad as it did, it helped him to has less PK time.

You could make the case if they used him more on PK, they would have been better

This is why the Flyers need to get more scoring depth - Claude Giroux is a legitimate asset on the PK and the way he was winning faceoffs this season, if he was on the PK more, it probably wouldn't have been as atrocious as it was

That's one of the main reasons I think he should be in the top three - it could have swung if he was on the PK more - I'm not placing all the blame on Couts and PEB for the PK woes because the d-men are bad but they didn't win more than half of their faceoffs either on the PK which starts the trouble

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux averaged less than a minute per game on the PK in 2013/14 as well, when the Flyers' PK was one of the best in the league.