• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cincinnati Coronas Hockey

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a reason that all the late night guys are all in a fucking freakout that the government is saying there's a possibility that Covid resulted from a lab leak?

I get that people on the right are doing a victory dance over a report that, again, only mentions it as a possibility but why is this such a touchy subject for the guy who hosted The Man Show?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Is there a reason that all the late night guys are all in a fucking freakout that the government is saying there's a possibility that Covid resulted from a lab leak?

I get that people on the right are doing a victory dance over a report that, again, only mentions it as a possibility but why is this such a touchy subject for the guy who hosted The Man Show?
truthful answer is because it gives them another racist bone to chew on.

"them damn chinese trying to weaponize these here biological agents.
this is war, we can't trade with any foreigners or let any yellers or blacks or browns into the country.
and buy more gunzzzz!!!"

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I would have to watch late night talk shows to care what they think. :D

Anyway I think the daily show sums up that assessment the best:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is war, we can't trade with any foreigners or let any yellers or blacks or browns into the country.
and buy more gunzzzz!!!"
We can't live in the dark because some people are assholes. Hasan Minhaj was asking why the Dept. of Energy are the ones who were studying this and saying he's "waiting on the DMV for their report", Stephen Colbert told them to "Stay in their lane" and build electric car chargers, etc. It's basically accusing the government (headed by their guy, to boot) of disinformation.

The MSM all seemed to report it as it was and with pretty unbiased comment, so it's not like they were following some news narrative of calling it BS. It's just odd to me is all. I figured we all wanted to know more about how this came to be.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't live in the dark because some people are assholes. Hasan Minhaj was asking why the Dept. of Energy are the ones who were studying this and saying he's "waiting on the DMV for their report", Stephen Colbert told them to "Stay in their lane" and build electric car chargers, etc. It's basically accusing the government (headed by their guy, to boot) of disinformation.

The MSM all seemed to report it as it was and with pretty unbiased comment, so it's not like they were following some news narrative of calling it BS. It's just odd to me is all. I figured we all wanted to know more about how this came to be.

I think it's just a reflection of how tribal/divisive we've become in combination with how quick people want to be with the "gotcha's". Also, people have trouble acknowledging/backtracking on things they have said in the past as they think it displays weakness when it's actually the opposite.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just a reflection of how tribal/divisive we've become in combination with how quick people want to be with the "gotcha's". Also, people have trouble acknowledging/backtracking on things they have said in the past as they think it displays weakness when it's actually the opposite.
That's the crux of what I'm getting at - I expect the RW dingbats to take a report of "low confidence" or "medium confidence" regarding the subject and do a "TOTAL VINDICATION!" lap but I used to not expect the other side to be like "well ackshully" almost entirely because they spent 2 years saying the theory was dumb (ie: when Stewart said it on Colbert and Colbert had a heart attack while Stewart was called everything from right wing to racist lol) and feel as if they have to downplay it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, the most important thing to focus on is when the next pandemic arrives, can we be better prepared for it instead of trying to play catch up?
That's part of it but like between SARS and Covid I feel that we'll eventually lose interest, give up and then go "oh shit" again.

If this was really something that tougher lab security could've prevented it'd be nice to know that an ounce of "smarten up" will prevent the need for a pound of cure going forward.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I would have to watch late night talk shows to care what they think. :D

Anyway I think the daily show sums up that assessment the best:

Was just going to post that they gave a great summation noting a few agencies think it was from a lab, a few more think wet market/animal, and a few simply don't know.

But it does raise a very sad question - why are comedy shows like the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight doing the best job of reporting stories comprehensively compared to most news?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, the most important thing to focus on is when the next pandemic arrives, can we be better prepared for it instead of trying to play catch up?

Agreed, but I think it depends on how often we see significant pandemics pop up. If it's another generation or close to a century before another big one like Spanish Flu > COVID then undoubtedly we will lose our memory of it and start over again. If because of the world population, push into natural habitat, international travel, etc. these start happening much more frequently we will have to adapt to that change and some elements of COVID prevention will probably endure.

It sure seems like they are happening more often, but that could be simply we are MUCH better at researching, predicting, and reacting to these things because of the network of health professionals that identify, cope, and cure them. We may simply KNOW more than we did.

Overall, the reality is that compared to historical pandemics, as a world, there is an argument to be made that we did pretty damn well. Adoption measures weren't perfect, but lots of social policies put in place prevented infections and deaths. It killed about 7 million people and only 1% of the known cases of infection. Overall, COVID took out only 0.09% of the world's population so far. By comparison, Spanish flu killed about 50 million people in a world with nearly 2 billion people, or roughly 2.5% of the population. The black plague took out 100-200 million people, somewhere in the range of 20-40% of the world's population.

While there may be things we could do better, we are clearly and measureably getting better at this.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^Also good reasons why we may not want to draw and quarter Anthony Fauci for, ya know, just trying to do his job.

(christ people are animals)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and buy more gunzzzz!!!"
Well its not cool they do that kind of stuff. The US would never study biological weapons......nope. I'm sure all the persistent rumors about Fort Detrick MD probably incorrect. It's probably a marching academy base.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the funniest thing I'm going to read all day......

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the muddied misinformation that floated around during the height of the pandemic, I doubt society as a whole learned anything, and possibly unlearned too many things.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2231c5c9-688d-4fb2-882e-19d71073fa74_text.gif

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
With all the muddied misinformation that floated around during the height of the pandemic, I doubt society as a whole learned anything, and possibly unlearned too many things.
sadly, I think you are right.
the politicians learned that they can politicize ANYTHING to rile up their base

- the list of politicians coming out pro-russian invasion, just because Biden's on the other side
- three toes and another idiot actually voting against mourning those lost in the Turkey earthquake
the list goes on, and makes me too angry, so I'll stop.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- the list of politicians coming out pro-russian invasion, just because Biden's on the other side
While true a lot of people are being labeled "pro-Russia" for even asking about accountability for the money being sent there and I think that's unfair, especially considering before the war Ukraine was incredibly corrupt and wartime corruption is a global tradition. I think there needs to be a distinction between people asking for transparency and people openly stating Putin is going to dominate Eastern Europe in a matter of months.

Whatever they spend on making Putin's life hell is still a bargain but it'd be nice to know that Crazy Vaclav isn't buying a new fleet of Mercedes to sell at his used car lots instead of passing the money on to local food banks or whatever.