• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chicago White Sox Ongoing Thread

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man if they had shown this kind of offense all year as they've been doing the last couple of weeks they'd be a wild card team. This is the production we expected.
There is still time. We can get by with 4 or 5 runs most of the time with Sale, the recent version of Shark and Quintana on the bump but we need runs in bunches for the majority of the starts by Danks.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still time. We can get by with 4 or 5 runs most of the time with Sale, the recent version of Shark and Quintana on the bump but we need runs in bunches for the majority of the starts by Danks.

as of right now, the odds of the sox reaching the playoffs is 5.9% according to baseball prospectus. nothing is impossible but it would be highly improbable the sox could make it that far.

the question becomes .... knowing those odds, do you start to disassemble this team (trading off high priced garbage like the roach, ramirez etc or trading smarg) and look to the future, or do you do what they've done all along ... try to keep jury-rigging this team in hopes of a miracle even against ridiculous odds?

i know what it's like to get all hyped up over this win streak, but does anyone recall the last 6 game sox win streak in mid may? they went on to lose 7 of their next 8 games!

when do you wake up and fold em and start FIXING this team?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as of right now, the odds of the sox reaching the playoffs is 5.9% according to baseball prospectus. nothing is impossible but it would be highly improbable the sox could make it that far.

the question becomes .... knowing those odds, do you start to disassemble this team (trading off high priced garbage like the roach, ramirez etc or trading smarg) and look to the future, or do you do what they've done all along ... try to keep jury-rigging this team in hopes of a miracle even against ridiculous odds?

i know what it's like to get all hyped up over this win streak, but does anyone recall the last 6 game sox win streak in mid may? they went on to lose 7 of their next 8 games!

I know...its hard not to get amped when we look as good as we did against Cleveland. Obviously Danks wont continue pitching the way he did this month, last night was a good indicator of that, but Sale, Q and Rodon easily could. Im not opposed to moving Shark but for what? He is a rental so he wont fetch great return imo. Alexei has been solid for a long time but he doesnt move the needle for me anymore at the plate. Way too many early count outs.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 out of the 2nd wild card in the loss column with 64 to play....

Hitting like crazy. Can't believe how much certain guys' stats have improved in just a month: Melky, Soto, Eaton, hell even Sanchez

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing is, they've been playing well since prior to the break. They struggled when they had to play KC and STL, two of the best teams in baseball. But if you remember, they lost a couple games there that they had no business losing.

If they keep hitting, their rotation is great right now. I see no reason why they can't grab the second wild card. The rest of the team's in the hunt for it are either playing awful, or are consistently hovering around .500 like the O's or Rays have all season.

I don't know what Baseball Prospectucs takes into account in order to calculate those odds. I would also assume that the odds went up after passing Detroit outright today and winning again. However, no other team in this race for the 2nd WC has the pitching the White Sox do and if they can hit consistently from here on in. I honestly think the White Sox are even the favorite (again… if they keep hitting). Their 3.5 games back… and the teams in their way. The Twins (3.5), O's (1.5), Rays (1.0) and Blue Jays (0.5). Those teams don't be appear to be running away with anything. I would certainly put the odds higher than 5.9%… that is for sure. Honestly, the Twins seem to be fading rather quickly as of late… You might only need 83-84 wins or so to get in.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 out of the 2nd wild card in the loss column with 64 to play....

Hitting like crazy. Can't believe how much certain guys' stats have improved in just a month: Melky, Soto, Eaton, hell even Sanchez

Melky could get a base hit with a tennis racket right now. The guy is absolutely SCORCHING hot.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Prospectus | Playoff Odds Report

these odds are always up to date. i'm not sure what all they take into account either but detroit still has much better odds even with a worse record. probably strength of remaining schedule, how many teams they have to climb over, what division they're in etc.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
up to nearly 10%. If we keep hitting out staff measures well against most teams.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is not selling. To whom would we sell Shark to anyway? The most rumored buyer is Toronto, who we might pass in the standings tonight. It makes no sense. Within 2.5 games after they finish off another ass whooping on the Red Sox. Which is well underway in the 3rd. Porcello done, and Boston has to go to their starter scheduled for tomorrow. lol… Bullpen is finished.

It would be a sin to sell right now. Sorry, you can't.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is not selling. To whom would we sell Shark to anyway? The most rumored buyer is Toronto, who we might pass in the standings tonight. It makes no sense. Within 2.5 games after they finish off another ass whooping on the Red Sox. Which is well underway in the 3rd. Porcello done, and Boston has to go to their starter scheduled for tomorrow. lol… Bullpen is finished.

It would be a sin to sell right now. Sorry, you can't.

Agree because Samarj is the only tradeable asset, and you don't get much for him. Keep him and take the draft pick when he signs elsewhere.

Still a long shot to make the playoffs but it's encouraging to see the better play, this is the team they thought they had at the start of the year.

And Toronto ain't losing today, Tulo raking in his first game

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree because Samarj is the only tradeable asset, and you don't get much for him. Keep him and take the draft pick when he signs elsewhere.

Still a long shot to make the playoffs but it's encouraging to see the better play, this is the team they thought they had at the start of the year.

And Toronto ain't losing today, Tulo raking in his first game

Still ahead by a game in the loss column, but yeah… at that point, I only saw Tulo homered. Didn't see the rest of that. Problem with them is, unless Tulo plans on pitching every 5th day… he doesn't really solve their glaring issue.

I think you might get a decent return for Samardzija, but I just don't see where only moving that one guy is going to really help much. If anything, it actually creates a need for a right handed pitcher to plug-in between Sale and Quintana for a handful of years to come.

Really no sense in not keeping this team together, seeing what happens and trying to do what we can in the off-season. I think it's pretty apparent, that if this team can find some consistent hitting, the staff is more than competent.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Upton

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of sucks that Sale got rocked, coulda been .500. I assumed so with him on the mound

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its honestly par for the course. Offense falls apart for Sale lol

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the really sad thing is this little streak came along at just the wrong time, as i feared. it made the sox think they might actually have a good team. ..... they don't! so a below .500 team does nothing to rid itself of some costly garbage and look to add pieces for the future ... something this team has been doing for too many years now. they refuse to believe they need to retool/rebuild/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

it's a sad time to be a sox fan.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the really sad thing is this little streak came along at just the wrong time, as i feared. it made the sox think they might actually have a good team. ..... they don't! so a below .500 team does nothing to rid itself of some costly garbage and look to add pieces for the future ... something this team has been doing for too many years now. they refuse to believe they need to retool/rebuild/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

it's a sad time to be a sox fan.

This has some truth to it, but honestly all they had to deal (that they'd want to deal) was Samardzija. No one was going to give them anything for Danks or Ramirez or whomever.

Now they get a draft pick when Samardj signs elsewhere

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, honestly…

Have you ever seen a worst decision by a 3rd base coach, at any level of baseball… in your entire life?

I have not. That was… Unfathomable, if it was on a Little League level. On a Major League level? He should hung outside of the clubhouse. Fired IMMEDIATELY.

Ho… lee… shit… That did not just happen.

1st and 3rd no outs… one run game in the 9th... but nah… let's just wave Alexei around with ball in the CF's glove. Yeah… that works.

I haven't been that angry at a White Sox game in years. Not even because I thought we could make the playoffs, just because… that can't be serious. That could not have just happened. I'm dreaming, clearly.