• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Chicago White Sox at Your Texas Rangers 4/18 - 4/20

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair...hitting a 90 MPH fastball is the easy part. You can gear up for a fastball. Its having to account for everything else (and having the bat speed to adjust), that's the hard part.

If you KNOW you are going to see NOTHING but a fastball...then you can make adjustments for it / start your swing earlier / etc. and probably get a few hits. I believe I could do it...then again, I'm 27 and havent lost much off my bat speed since my playing days. :yahoo:

The HARD part... is if everything is mixed in. Changeups, Curveballs, Sliders, etc. The changing of speeds and location... is what is killer. Good luck trying to pick up the seams to figure out what type of pitch it is.

90 is a slow fastball in the show, and maybe you could sit on that, but Im thinking if the pitcher buzzes one up and in ... You're probably gonna be less likely to dig in and sit fastball. Add to that the pressure of a huge crowd and devastating breaking balls...and, yeah, I'll take the under

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair...hitting a 90 MPH fastball is the easy part. You can gear up for a fastball. Its having to account for everything else (and having the bat speed to adjust), that's the hard part.

If you KNOW you are going to see NOTHING but a fastball...then you can make adjustments for it / start your swing earlier / etc. and probably get a few hits. I believe I could do it...then again, I'm 27 and havent lost much off my bat speed since my playing days. :yahoo:

The HARD part... is if everything is mixed in. Changeups, Curveballs, Sliders, etc. The changing of speeds and location... is what is killer. Good luck trying to pick up the seams to figure out what type of pitch it is.
In my heart I can hit the best fastball Yu has. My head tells my heart to shut up and sit down in my recliner. Now that is my story and I'm sticking to it.:bullshit::rollseyes:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus one. Unless there are some 26 year old's on here who played in the minors and just enjoy talking Rangers. It's like saying, could anyone on here average .05 points in an NBA game or throw for 25 yards a game in the NFL. Nope and Nope. Unless you're the delusional poster on here who actually thinks he could REALLY be a better Manager than Ron Washington. I'm sure he'd be the first guy to hit .400 since Ted Williams smh

You must not be any kind of athlete or know a whole lot about athletics in general or else you would know that the difference between being a star athlete in high school/college and being a successful pro is razor thin. The main difference is consistency. There are plenty of great high school stars and college players who could beat Tiger Woods in one round of golf, or score a basket once in every few NBA games, or get some hits off terrible MLB pitchers. Many of us played a sport all throughout high school and some in college. I've collected plenty of hits off of guys throwing 92-94 MPH. Now, could I do so consistently against the best pitchers in baseball? Absolutely not. And that's why I'm in a different career and posting on a baseball website.

But you act like hitting .060 in the majors is a big deal. It's not. The overwhelming majority of minor leaguers could hit that if brought up right now. Easily. I might not be able to hit .060, but I guarantee I could collect the odd hit here and there off the worst pitchers because I've faced guys with similar stuff before. But the difference is that I am rightfully sitting at home not getting paid to play pro ball because I'm nowhere good enough whereas Arencibia is collecting millions to get just a few more hits than thousands across the nation could.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must not be any kind of athlete or know a whole lot about athletics in general or else you would know that the difference between being a star athlete in high school/college and being a successful pro is razor thin. The main difference is consistency. There are plenty of great high school stars and college players who could beat Tiger Woods in one round of golf, or score a basket once in every few NBA games, or get some hits off terrible MLB pitchers. Many of us played a sport all throughout high school and some in college. I've collected plenty of hits off of guys throwing 92-94 MPH. Now, could I do so consistently against the best pitchers in baseball? Absolutely not. And that's why I'm in a different career and posting on a baseball website.

But you act like hitting .060 in the majors is a big deal. It's not. The overwhelming majority of minor leaguers could hit that if brought up right now. Easily. I might not be able to hit .060, but I guarantee I could collect the odd hit here and there off the worst pitchers because I've faced guys with similar stuff before. But the difference is that I am rightfully sitting at home not getting paid to play pro ball because I'm nowhere good enough whereas Arencibia is collecting millions to get just a few more hits than thousands across the nation could.

I think the difference between being a star in HS and being a successful pro is a little wider than a razor. Just like I think scoring an occasional basket every few games is much easier than beating a pro golfer for an entire round.

And the discussion was about if any posters here could hit .060, and the answer is no. Id expect ppl being paid to play baseball to be able to hit.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the difference between being a star in HS and being a successful pro is a little wider than a razor. Just like I think scoring an occasional basket every few games is much easier than beating a pro golfer for an entire round.

And the discussion was about if any posters here could hit .060, and the answer is no. Id expect ppl being paid to play baseball to be able to hit.

You can think that all you want. But the truth is that there are thousands upon thousands of athletes in every sport who are easily good enough to go out and best a pro on any given day. I'm not talking about beating LeBron James in a 1-on-1 contest. But yes, there are countless amateurs who could beat a pro golfer on any given day. If you were to put together a field of 50 top high school and college golfers along with a few pros, many of the amateurs would shoot lower than the pros in a given round.

Again, the difference between top amateurs and pros is the ability to perform at a pro level consistently. Pros have it (well, most of them do), and amateurs don't. Ask any pro athlete who isn't completely full of himself and he will tell you that there are tons of amateurs out there who are awfully close to him in talent.

Hitting .060 is getting a hit only 6 out of 100 times against ML pitching. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know the athletic backgrounds of everyone who posts here. But anyone here who has faced at least high school pitching or especially college level could guess right on at least 3 or 4 pitches out of 100 and hit .030-.0.40. Not every pitcher in the majors is unhittable like Yu Darvish. Some of the worst ML pitchers would give up runs to college teams. I don't think you fully appreciate just how awful and unprofessional Arencibia's average is.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am almost certain I could bat above .100 at least for a brief period of time at the ML level and thats at 40 yrs old

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my heart I can hit the best fastball Yu has. My head tells my heart to shut up and sit down in my recliner. Now that is my story and I'm sticking to it.:bullshit::rollseyes:

Are you taking ornery pills? :yahoo:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must not be any kind of athlete or know a whole lot about athletics in general or else you would know that the difference between being a star athlete in high school/college and being a successful pro is razor thin.

Disagree. You see guys all the time who play/hit great in the minors and can't cut it in the majors.

I played with a kid in high school who signed and played with Tennessee. In his junior and senior seasons he finished 2nd in the NCAA in hitting to a guy named Reggie Jackson. He tore up A, AA and and AAA pitching. And he played 4 years in the bigs between 1973 and 1978 with a combined BA of .255. You remember Sam Ewing? Nobody else but me does either.

I realize I'm giving one example but the minors are full of guys who look good in AA and can't hit for shit in the majors. I honestly don't think the difference is "razor thin."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am almost certain I could bat above .100 at least for a brief period of time at the ML level and thats at 40 yrs old

So what's your guess on what you could've hit when you were 25?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must not be any kind of athlete or know a whole lot about athletics in general or else you would know that the difference between being a star athlete in high school/college and being a successful pro is razor thin.

Disagree. You see guys all the time who play/hit great in the minors and can't cut it in the majors.

I played with a kid in high school who signed and played with Tennessee. In his junior and senior seasons he finished 2nd in the NCAA in hitting to a guy named Reggie Jackson. He tore up A, AA and and AAA pitching. And he played 4 years in the bigs between 1973 and 1978 with a combined BA of .255. You remember Sam Ewing? Nobody else but me does either.

I realize I'm giving one example but the minors are full of guys who look good in AA and can't hit for shit in the majors. I honestly don't think the difference is "razor thin."

Actually, you just proved my point. There are tons and tons of kids out there like your friend Sam Ewing who are super talented and in a lot of ways as good as many of the pros we watch on tv. The difference is that last little step, the ability to be consistently great instead of just occasionally great.

Also, your friend Sam Ewing did in fact make it to the pros and at least hit for a respectable average for a few years. I'm talking about the amateurs who are incredibly talented but who don't have that last little something to make them solid pros. There are tons of kids who can break par from the back tees, or hit a 93 MPH fastball 400+ feet, or hell even kick a 40-yard field goal.

The razor thin margin in talent that I speak of is why so many amateur athletes get so close to being pros. Some, like your friend, even do make it for a short time. It's that small gap in talent which separates a guy who can score 30 points in college but can't consistently do it against the best of the best.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your guess on what you could've hit when you were 25?

I pitched mostly and never at the ML level but I wasn't terrible with the bat either. I have played hardball up until the last couple years and against some pretty decent pitchers from lots of levels. I was never good enough to play pro ball but at 25 if I had faced ML pitching at the big league level I could have hit somewhere around .180 to .200 probably. Not good enough

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can think that all you want. But the truth is that there are thousands upon thousands of athletes in every sport who are easily good enough to go out and best a pro on any given day. I'm not talking about beating LeBron James in a 1-on-1 contest. But yes, there are countless amateurs who could beat a pro golfer on any given day. If you were to put together a field of 50 top high school and college golfers along with a few pros, many of the amateurs would shoot lower than the pros in a given round.

Again, the difference between top amateurs and pros is the ability to perform at a pro level consistently. Pros have it (well, most of them do), and amateurs don't. Ask any pro athlete who isn't completely full of himself and he will tell you that there are tons of amateurs out there who are awfully close to him in talent.

Hitting .060 is getting a hit only 6 out of 100 times against ML pitching. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know the athletic backgrounds of everyone who posts here. But anyone here who has faced at least high school pitching or especially college level could guess right on at least 3 or 4 pitches out of 100 and hit .030-.0.40. Not every pitcher in the majors is unhittable like Yu Darvish. Some of the worst ML pitchers would give up runs to college teams. I don't think you fully appreciate just how awful and unprofessional Arencibia's average is.

This was about the posters on the board, not thousands of amatuers playing baseball on a daily basis. No offense to Lainey but I don't think Lainey's gonna find 6 holes. I'm not going to find 6 holes. But, I think we all realize that JPA is shitty, that's why this question was posed.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was about the posters on the board, not thousands of amatuers playing baseball on a daily basis. No offense to Lainey but I don't think Lainey's gonna find 6 holes. I'm not going to find 6 holes. But, I think we all realize that JPA is shitty, that's why this question was posed.

I agree with what you are saying. And I think a lot of times fans get carried away with thinking how easy it is to be a pro and that they could do better. I sure as hell couldn't.

But I do think that in this particular instance, with just how awful Arencibia has been, that there are many fans and maybe even a few on this board who could at least come close to him in average (at least while he's hitting .060).

So my response talking about there being many amateurs who could do it was directed more at the UK Cowboy guy who basically laughed off the notion that anyone here could hit .060. For guys who played high school or college ball, hitting .060 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Sit dead red on the fastball and you can probably get a hit 5 or 6 times out of 100 if you've faced 90 MPH pitches before and know how to time it.

I think we can all agree though that Arencibia's .060 average is pretty disgraceful for a pro making millions.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Sit dead red on the fastball and you can probably get a hit 5 or 6 times out of 100 if you've faced 90 MPH pitches before and know how to time it"

I'm sorry but that's just not true with regards to the average Joe Fan...which is this board.
Location, location, location.
Now, if you said 90 MPh fastballs in one location then I might be more inclined to agree with the statement in general. Timing it is just one aspect.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Sit dead red on the fastball and you can probably get a hit 5 or 6 times out of 100 if you've faced 90 MPH pitches before and know how to time it"

I'm sorry but that's just not true with regards to the average Joe Fan...which is this board.
Location, location, location.
Now, if you said 90 MPh fastballs in one location then I might be more inclined to agree with the statement in general. Timing it is just one aspect.

For someone who has played high school or college ball, it wouldn't be hard at all to get a hit 5 or 6 times out of 100 by just looking fastball all the way. For the average Joe fan, you're right. But my point was that not everyone who posts here is an average Joe with no baseball experience.

As for the location, sure that plays a factor. But you also have to remember that in 100 at-bats you're going to get served up some pure meat fastballs. Not all ML pitchers locate their fastballs all the time.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For someone who has played high school or college ball, it wouldn't be hard at all to get a hit 5 or 6 times out of 100 by just looking fastball all the way. For the average Joe fan, you're right. But my point was that not everyone who posts here is an average Joe with no baseball experience.

As for the location, sure that plays a factor. But you also have to remember that in 100 at-bats you're going to get served up some pure meat fastballs. Not all ML pitchers locate their fastballs all the time.

well on the internet most did I suppose, but I did and I still respectfully disagree with the statement.