• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chase injury impact

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Chase being out at least 4 weeks, how do you see the offense going? I think in the hands of a good offensive coordinator, things would be fine (for now). You still have Higgins, Boyd, Hurst, Mixon, and you could bring Chris Evans in for different looks. Then, of course, you have Joe Burrow. But, our staff hasn't proven to be the most flexible or creative with their approach, so I'm a little less trusting in the process.

Good chance for other teams to evaluate whether Tee Higgins is truly a number 1 receiver.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big chance for Higgins to show what he can do as the clear #1. He did well in 2020 prior to Chase, but with F/A just around the corner, this is going to be his time to show that he can be a legit #1 guy for some team. If he does well, Bengals will win these games (or at least shouldn't lose because of lack of Chase) - and they will have a near 0% chance of retaining him. If he doesn't play like a legit #1 - Bengals may lose (Or could still win - defense has been pretty good, and after all - still have Joe Burrow) - but have a better shot of retaining his services....

Regardless, I expect him to do well, you also still have Boyd, and you also still have Hurst who will likely be involved much more. Could see Evans more in some slot roles - but bottom line - still have Burrow. As long as the OL gives him time, he'll find the guy to throw the ball to.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is our official 4th WR? If they stick him on injured reserve, he is probably out closer to 6 weeks.

He supposed sustained this injury in New Orleans, finished that game with 132 yards and 2 TD's. Then turns around with the injury and puts up another big game and 2 TD's against Atlanta. Who was he able to make it mostly through the Atlanta game?

Gonna be tough sledding. It would be equivalent to Cleveland losing Chubb.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is our official 4th WR? If they stick him on injured reserve, he is probably out closer to 6 weeks.

He supposed sustained this injury in New Orleans, finished that game with 132 yards and 2 TD's. Then turns around with the injury and puts up another big game and 2 TD's against Atlanta. Who was he able to make it mostly through the Atlanta game?

Gonna be tough sledding. It would be equivalent to Cleveland losing Chubb.
I'm only an internet doctor..... But I imagine it's not so much that he couldn't get out there and do his thing, its just that his injury needs to heal or he risks making it a significant hip injury. That needs to be avoided at all costs. So, he'll probably be able to do a lot of rehab and working out, but can't take any hits or violent motions to the hip. The amount of time he is out probably just has to do with how fast he heals.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big chance for Higgins to show what he can do as the clear #1. He did well in 2020 prior to Chase, but with F/A just around the corner, this is going to be his time to show that he can be a legit #1 guy for some team. If he does well, Bengals will win these games (or at least shouldn't lose because of lack of Chase) - and they will have a near 0% chance of retaining him. If he doesn't play like a legit #1 - Bengals may lose (Or could still win - defense has been pretty good, and after all - still have Joe Burrow) - but have a better shot of retaining his services....

Regardless, I expect him to do well, you also still have Boyd, and you also still have Hurst who will likely be involved much more. Could see Evans more in some slot roles - but bottom line - still have Burrow. As long as the OL gives him time, he'll find the guy to throw the ball to.
Burrow is at his best when he's back there spreading the ball out and taking advantage of the weaknesses of whatever defense he's given. My only concern is that the offensive staff might be slow in adjusting to new gimmicks that they haven't seen. Back in Burrow's first season, after he torched Tennessee, the Steelers got creative with how they handled Boyd in the slot - Throwing a lot of doubles toward him. I'd expect to see a lot of that with Chase out of the game. Thomas could certainly find himself with some favorable shots to get down field, but I just don't know if he can get separation.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow is at his best when he's back there spreading the ball out and taking advantage of the weaknesses of whatever defense he's given. My only concern is that the offensive staff might be slow in adjusting to new gimmicks that they haven't seen. Back in Burrow's first season, after he torched Tennessee, the Steelers got creative with how they handled Boyd in the slot - Throwing a lot of doubles toward him. I'd expect to see a lot of that with Chase out of the game. Thomas could certainly find himself with some favorable shots to get down field, but I just don't know if he can get separation.
Run game is going to be important - or more aptly - Mixon/Evans will be more important in general with touches...going to have to catch some balls out of the backfield

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run game is going to be important - or more aptly - Mixon/Evans will be more important in general with touches...going to have to catch some balls out of the backfield
I saw where Cleveland is bad at defending the run from the shotgun formation. If Mixon can't eat on Monday, not sure it's getting better anytime soon.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where Cleveland is bad at defending the run from the shotgun formation. If Mixon can't eat on Monday, not sure it's getting better anytime soon.
I did think it was better last week. The YPC wasn't great, but 2 of those runs were 1yard runs at the GL. I think he only had 1 run that netted negative yards, which would be a step in the right direction (sadly).

As long as they can continue to use the RPO from the shotgun, I think eventually the running game will get going. It has looked better...low bar for how the season started...but it's trending up at least for now.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
enter.......... Marvin Jones I like evans too

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ladies and gentelemen, the Bengals training staff!!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ladies and gentelemen, the Bengals training staff!!

Really don't see much wrong with this...it was so minor it took nearly 3 opinions to get it right...hairline fractures can often be difficult to diagnose because, by nature, they are very small. You turn a certain way and it's hidden from the x-ray.

I mean - you go back and look at the stats in those games...he was good...hard to say he was as hurt as he was.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't see much wrong with this...it was so minor it took nearly 3 opinions to get it right...hairline fractures can often be difficult to diagnose because, by nature, they are very small. You turn a certain way and it's hidden from the x-ray.

I mean - you go back and look at the stats in those games...he was good...hard to say he was as hurt as he was.
I think my only issue was the Atlanta game. Someone needed to be an adult and shut him down the way he was limping all around the field.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my only issue was the Atlanta game. Someone needed to be an adult and shut him down the way he was limping all around the field.
Hard to disagree, but then again - he was in the middle of going for 8-130 and 2 tuddy's.....if a guy is producing at that level, and tells me he's ok....hard not to think he's just trying to shake off something minor....

But, you are right - with the score getting to where it was, shutting him down sooner would likely have been a more prudent move.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to disagree, but then again - he was in the middle of going for 8-130 and 2 tuddy's.....if a guy is producing at that level, and tells me he's ok....hard not to think he's just trying to shake off something minor....

But, you are right - with the score getting to where it was, shutting him down sooner would likely have been a more prudent move.
I think, in general, the Bengals need to think about Chase's usage rates. I love guys that get after it everytime they touch the field, but Chase seems to take it to another level. I think he played every snap of that first game of the year when it was a million degrees outside. A 17 game season is a very long season. I'd love to see that Zac and the coaches have learned that they can be creative without Chase on the field, and they can rest him a few snaps a game and still be productive.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, in general, the Bengals need to think about Chase's usage rates. I love guys that get after it everytime they touch the field, but Chase seems to take it to another level. I think he played every snap of that first game of the year when it was a million degrees outside. A 17 game season is a very long season. I'd love to see that Zac and the coaches have learned that they can be creative without Chase on the field, and they can rest him a few snaps a game and still be productive.
Agreed. It was actually good to see Chase tell them that he wasn't 100% ready for the Tenn game. He was cleared medically, but wanted that extra week to be sure and think long-term.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be harder to do that if all we can afford is Burrow and Chase on the offensive side. Every offensive weapon we have right now, including Mixon, the most expensive, is costing us MORE than what Chase will alone in a few years. Now add $50 million for Burrow. We will see how this pans out, but with Chase taking plays off to rest as he should, you will be left with scrubs probably or all rookies trying to make up for the lack of skill players around Burrow.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be harder to do that if all we can afford is Burrow and Chase on the offensive side. Every offensive weapon we have right now, including Mixon, the most expensive, is costing us MORE than what Chase will alone in a few years. Now add $50 million for Burrow. We will see how this pans out, but with Chase taking plays off to rest as he should, you will be left with scrubs probably or all rookies trying to make up for the lack of skill players around Burrow.
Burrow is eligible for his extension after this season - take care of him and get something done. Once that is out of the way, you have a much cleaner look at the path forward with regards to salary cap and how to keep guys/add guys.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.... I mean, in NFL terms Perine, Irwin and Taylor are scrubs. Hell, Hurst is only making 3.5 million as a vet so in NFL terms he is a scrub. I'm not saying Chase isn't playing 80% or more of the snaps. I'm saying he's not playing 100. If you get competent, low-priced guys as your 4th and 5th receiver to take some snaps each Sunday and you have Joe Burrow, you're going to be fine.